This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Dubbing vocals with different mic than main?

Discussion in 'F.O.H.' started by Fredrik-Ablaze, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Fredrik-Ablaze

I'm gonna start tracking vocals for the upcoming Egonaut full-length soon and I was down setting up the gear today, we even built a Khazak-style vocalbooth :D [​IMG]

I'm gonna do the main vocals through my usual vox chain; Shure SM7B into a GAP 73 preamp, that chain sounds killer plus it really feels great to sing through it.

I did however still have a large diaphragm codenser set up from a recent project and I did a couple of dubs with that and noticed that they blend really well together. The LD brightens up the SM7 a bit, giving it a pretty nice shimmer.

Would I be absolutely stupid if I did the overdubs with the condenser? I'm gonna dub all the leads atleast once. The only downside I can think of right of the bat is that I won't be able to do the old "switch" if the dub turns out better than the main, but besides that; why shouldn't I use two chains when recording?

2. BLUElightCory

BLUElightCory Member

If it sounds good, do it. If the mics are mounted on stands you can even track with both of them simultaneously if it makes you feel better.

3. JeffTD

JeffTD Senhor Testiculo

^^Was going to suggest just that - track with both and decide later!

4. mva801

mva801 Member

There's absolutely nothing wrong with using a different mic for doubles or background vocals. I'd just make sure to keep the main vocal track consistent with one microphone, then all separate doubles/ harmonies and what-nots with the other mic. I've done it before.