This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Duncan JB Opinions

Discussion in 'Backline' started by Pxz, May 1, 2016.

1. Pxz

Pxz Member

I know this pickup has very mixed reviews. Preety sure the guys from Gojira use them so i doubt they are as bad as some people says. What's your opinion on them?

2. schwinginbatman

schwinginbatman It's shittay!

I own the DV8 that has the Duncan JB in the bridge, best guitar I've ever owned or played. I'd recommend it.

3. egan.

egan. daylightdies.com

The JB is awesome. The only (metal) guys who hate them are the diehard EMG guys. The JB is looser in the low mids than the 81 but also has a different high mid texture.

4. MrBongo

MrBongo idiot at work

got a JB SH-4 at the bridge as well. I love it for distorted sounds, works very well in my guitar.
    For cleans. no thank you. Here I like the super trebly Häussel´s at the middle and neck position a lot more. That makes them unusable for distortion though, way too raspy and boomy at the same time. But if you like Humbucker cleans, give it a try.

Mids are plenty and well distributed on the JB, as stated above. Not too much low-end, but it´s not too thin either

5. Megin

Megin Member

Eh, no I'm not a emg user and I dislike jb. For rock or 80's metal they're fine though.

6. Manicompression

Manicompression doing it for the kids

In my maple cap mahogany body guitars I love it, in my alder Frankencaster its pretty good but not quite perfect for my tastes. My friend also has one in his SG, sounds awesome.

Some people online discourage them in mahogany guitars but as stated that goes contrary to my experience with it. Its not as tight in the bottom as ceramic types but i like the nature of the bottom it foes have

7. Delitzsch

Delitzsch Führendes Mitglied

I had a JB in one of my guitars. It's good for rock or hard rock, but for metal, I prefer the Duncan Distortion much more.

8. Scottxx

Scottxx Member

Seymour Duncan's JB are awesome !! I will say one of the best pickups ever.

9. raisedfist

raisedfist Member

I have 2 guitars with JBs and I have mixed results. my framus panthera is great and my goto for tracking as its thick and responsive. I have a Peavey wolfgang stoptail and I got a JB fitted and its thin and bright and pretty unusable. I think they work great it dark sounding les paul style guitars but if your axe is pretty bright already I would maybe look at something else.

10. Flow Of Time

Flow Of Time Member

I had them in a mahagony body Horizon. They always sounded cloudy and howly in the mix.
    On the other hand i really enjoyed it's texture and there are people who manage to fit it in a mix perfectly (listen to the The Way Of All Flesh).. So I think you just have to try it and see if it works for you

11. Pxz

Pxz Member

Absolutely, i bought one for cheap and it was installed a few days ago in my jackson soloist for just 3 hours. Sounded super weird , like zero balls but the bass was still floppy idk. I removed the emg81for the JB on my ltd eclipse and it "works" there. Balanced with good tonality overall. First time i hear such a big change in tone from a pickup. My experience with pickups is almost all ceramic magnent, high dc resistance ones, so this is a big change. I'm kinda tired of actives, so i just wanted to give something different a try.
    Also if you tune anything lower than Db the JB gets very mushy and undefined. For standard to D tuning it holds up better.

12. atoragon

atoragon Member

it is very good, but sometimes a bit thin. If your guitar is bassy or you use it downtuned it can help compensating, but if the guitar is thin or you use it in standard tuning, it can sound a little too "razorblade"

13. greyskull

greyskull Member

Great pickup

14. gfactor

gfactor New Metal Member

I was literally just on another forum telling someone to check out the JB. I love mine.

15. mickrich

mickrich Member

JB in my USA Charvel So Cal.
    Sounds amazing. So good that 3 guitarists out of bands who have recorded at the studio have bought So Cals and put JBs in too.

16. Rex Rocker

Rex Rocker Call me Hugo!

Love the JB in my Ibanez RGA121. Very Arch Enemy-ish. It's got a killer grind to it.

17. The spark

The spark Klaatu.. Barada.. Nikto..

I dig mine.

18. allanqa

allanqa Member

it's a great pick up, but i would not use the 7 string version.

works great in my ltd ec in D standar or dropped C