This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Dungeon 25th Anniversary

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

Hey guys,

So there was this band called Dungeon that formed in early August 1989 in the middle of the desert, and it turns out that I was there when it happened! Go figure!

But yes, you all know the history by now, and that in 2005 we essentially renamed the band LORD, and we still consider the Dungeon back catalogue as part of our own history (basically we think of it as the Dungeon Era rather than a separate band).

It's coming up to 25 years since the band had our first jam and we have a lot of really cool Dungeon related things planned for this year. Some I won't mention just yet but I think people will really enjoy them.

As part of that, I'm doing a massive clean up of the studio and I'm discovering all kinds of rare goodies in the archives that I haven't seen in years, and I've been digitally remastering them and making them public. I'll use this thread to post all of that stuff and keep you guys in the loop as to what's happening with the 25th year stuff. :)

2. Lord Tim

Fresh from the "Aha, so THAT's where that was!" pile were a couple of discs that had video footage on them.

First one was the clip for The Art Of War, which was only ever available online as a 320x240 highly compressed CD-Extra MPG that someone uploaded. Well, I found the full res AVI file and remasted to HD:

The next clip is even more rare. It was never available online, and never broadcast. It was originally intended to be included in an EP that had CD-Extra content which included the video (and we had shirts with the cover art made - just 25 of them ever, in fact) but that never saw the light of day, and we ploughed right into doing A Rise To Power instead. But here it is, filmed in 1999 at The Forest Inn and lost in the archives for many, many years, and now remastered, here's the clip for No Way Out:

Late last year I also found some other Dungeon clips which I remastered and uploaded too:

Insanty's Fall:

Stormchaser:

Where Madness Hides (with slight glitch in the source tape):

Enjoy! :)

#2 Lord Tim, Jan 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  3. Nitephyre

Nitephyre LORDwhore/Andy's ManSWOS

*thumbs up* :D

4. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

Holy crap!!!

That's fantastic - thanks :)))

5. Ralphe

Ralphe Go the ROOSTERS!

the harbour cruise was a great day. I remember being very drunk by the end of that cruise. I think that was the second Dungeon cruise i did(the first one had Dale in the band).

We need a LORD harbour cruise!!!!

6. Bloopy

Bloopy Active Member

Good stuff! What do you think fans would be saying now if all of LORD's albums had been released under the name Dungeon?

7. Lord Tim

It's hard to say. Nostalgia is a pretty powerful thing.

Imagine if we brought out an album that sounded like the original Resurrection now, with rushed sloppy playing, terrible mix, tape hiss, etc. It would get written off really quickly by the bulk of people, and yet there's still people out there that prefer the sound of the original version, even compared to the 2005 re-recording which was a lot better (far from perfect though, thanks to massive budget cuts from LMP).

I'd definitely say that people would be calling something like Ascendence a "classic" Dungeon album, because it was pretty much designed to be that way, so it would sound like it would comfortably fit into the Resurrection / ARTP / OSB era but with a more current sound. But some people still have a bit of a hard time accepting that, which really is their problem at the end of the day. It's like not enjoying your favourite brand of cake because it's called something else, despite being made exactly the same way by the same people. ;)

For us, though, it really is the same band at the heart of it. We still play Dungeon stuff for at least half of our set usually (likely far more than that this year), with the same backing tracks as the Dungeon albums, same arrangements - it's essentially what Dungeon would be in 2014 if we'd swapped members and kept the name. But we're taking steps to unify a lot of this stuff this year while we have a chance. Lots of really cool exciting things in the works. :)

8. Ralphe

Ralphe Go the ROOSTERS!

I have both versions of Resurrection but generally only listen to the original album. i think i like it more than the later version because that was what you were playing live when i first got into Dungeon.

9. Nitephyre

Speaking of nostalgia, I listened to A Personal Journey again today and Footsteps in the Sand is still one of my favourite songs you've done Tim, hence my signature... can't believe it's 11 years old. :)

10. Lord Tim

It's older than that, actually!

TRIVIA: I wrote that around 1998 when we were recording Resurrection and we even jammed on it once or twice in the rehearsal room (me/Dale/Juz/Stevo) but it never really clicked, and then not long after that we hit a bit of a dark patch and I pulled a bunch of songs I wrote that I was planning to include on the next album, so if things had been a little less tumultuous in the band at the time, Footsteps and The Richest Man would have been on ARTP. :)

The re-recording of Footsteps we put on as a bonus for Digital Lies is actually one of my favourites from the album, in fact.

11. Nitephyre

Ahh of course, I remember you saying that now... a long time ago.

Yes, the re-recording is also splendiferous. *nods* :)

12. Nitephyre

Listened to Resurrection today. I'll add that Severed Ties is also one of my fav songs... so awesome :)

13. Lord Tim

It's a funny thing, a lot of people who got into the original version with Let It Go on there really didn't like Severed Ties replacing it on the 2005 re-release. I like the song myself, the bass harmonics are cool and that's a real string section on there as well. :)

14. Nitephyre

Mmmhm, is awesome :)

You also need to do more John Farnham (Yes, I know it was LRB, but mere details...) :D

15. les_paul

les_paul Member

is there any update you can give on the recording project LT?

16. Lord Tim

Yes, it's massive!

And expect something cool in August to mark the actual 25th date, and then something a little later in the year that will be pretty awesome. :)

17. les_paul

les_paul Member

Not long now then, looking forward to it!