This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Ear plugs at shows?

Discussion in 'Non-Opeth Music Chat' started by BurningSky, Feb 13, 2007.

?

ear plugs?

1. Always

26 vote(s)
    22.4%
  2. Usually

16 vote(s)
    13.8%
  3. Sometimes

30 vote(s)
    25.9%
  4. Opening bands only

6 vote(s)
    5.2%
  5. Never

38 vote(s)
    32.8%
  1. BurningSky

BurningSky rxbandits.com

That's interesting because my dad describes his as sounding like crickets in his ears...

2. RedinTheSky

RedinTheSky Member

Tinnitus will drive you insane.

3. Scourge of Malice

Yeah my ears have been slightly damaged over the years, which is bad since I'm still very young. Nothing too serious, but I definitely try to tone the volume down when I'm using headphones now... but sometimes I just have to drown out the loud idiots on the busses.

4. fizz6207

fizz6207 Member

This thread sparked my interest so I did a bit of reading around about this. Apparently it hasnt been linked sufficiently to be a proven cause of suicide, but is definately linked to depression. Cheers for that link posted earlier too :kickass: Im definately glad Im getting some proper earplugs next week!

5. in_absentia

in_absentia Aurora Borealis

because i am half deaf (yeah i know i've mentioned this before), i have to do that so i can actually hear at a good volume, what i don't know though is how loud it really is. People around me give me weird looks 'dude, i can hear that clearly', i get that constantly. It's REALLY bad for my ears. I think i should get rid of my mp3

6. illidurit

illidurit New Metal Member

no wonder you like dimmu borgir

7. Selkie

Selkie hello pussy

I usually try to bring earplugs in case the sound is too loud, or the openers suck. I'm thinking investing in something better than shitty foam plugs, they muffle the sound too much.

8. Jibrille

Jibrille Member

I'm already more likely to go deaf than the average person. I've got scarring on my eardrums from a lot of ear infections as a kid. Actually had my ear drum burst my senior year of high school shortly after getting an ear infection. Couldn't hear out of one ear for a month. I'm bad about wearing earplugs. I usually forget them and when I bring them, I generally just keep them in for the opening bands. I find most headliners I see have better levels that aren't too damaging to ears (as long as you're not right next to the speakers).
    Oddly enough my hearing isn't bad right now but I have a lot of trouble with muffled & quiet noises. I suck at the telephone game or I'm very good depending on how you look at it because I can't interpret a thing someone says when whispering.

9. in_absentia

in_absentia Aurora Borealis

Dude that was really uncalled for. I don't see what you get out of making fun of somebody's disadvantage.

10. BurningSky

BurningSky rxbandits.com

Because he's an asshole.

11. illidurit

illidurit New Metal Member

yawn everyone has problems, toughen up instead of mentioning it several times on a forum and then getting all hurt when someone makes an adjacent joke that has more to do with liking a shitty band than the problem in question :yawnnnn:

12. Kir-ir-Bannog

Kir-ir-Bannog ...no ordinary rabbit

Poor old illudurit still cant get a girlfriend and has to come onto this forum to vent his frustration at others. Same as ever....
    ::YAWNS::

13. Don Corleone

i gave up headphones two years ago.

14. NubianGoddess

NubianGoddess Cream Queen

when at home I use professional over the ear headphones. my ex-hb is a DJ and he knew which one to buy for me. I never liked the plug-ins; they produce the worse sound ever IMO

15. Kir-ir-Bannog

I have some phillips ones that are quite nice (plug-ins)

16. NubianGoddess

NubianGoddess Cream Queen

really? no flat and/or weak sound? mine's are also philips - terrific sound. very clear indeed

17. Kir-ir-Bannog

well they probably are compared with proper headphones which resemble ear muffs. But im quite pleased with them, i think they are also known as ear buds and go right into the ear canal, so they shut out 95% of outside noise. Mine are quite bassy, im quite pleased with them. the only annoyance is catching the lead on something as you walk by and them popping out of your ears.

they retailed at the time for 30 pounds, but i got them for 20. I think they were end of the line cos i cant find an example on the web anywhere. There is something similar with an external vol control which would be pretty handy.

There are practical for me as i use my ipod down the gym a lot. Those large cumbersome ones would be ridiculous down there.

standard ipod ear phones are a complete waste of time though, are these the ones you were refering to?

18. dcat

dcat Member

FYI, Earphones and Headphones do far more damage than loud rock concerts.

I think there is a hearing safety mechanism to do with air pressure passing your ears, this doesn't happen when wearing head / ear phones...

Do take care guys, Peter Lindgren " :worship: " always wears earplugs at Opeth gigs, watch the GRSE DVD. :)

19. soundave

soundave Member

True. Pete Townsend attributes his tinnitus to studio cans. He's on the rampage about iPod listening levels these days.

It's about not giving the cilia in your ear a break. That's what kills 'em. They need about an 18 hour break. If you're going to a show one day and laying low the next, you should be okay. Performing musicians should definitely wear etymotics or something. Ironic that the people who enjoy hearing things the most are most at risk of losing their hearing...

20. fizz6207

fizz6207 Member

If this is true, may I ask whether earphones/headphones are considered more damaging if you have the volume levels low? Ive always assumed they are ok, as long as they arent up too loud.