This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Ear plugs at shows?

Discussion in 'Non-Opeth Music Chat' started by BurningSky, Feb 13, 2007.

?

ear plugs?

1. Always

26 vote(s)
    22.4%
  2. Usually

16 vote(s)
    13.8%
  3. Sometimes

30 vote(s)
    25.9%
  4. Opening bands only

6 vote(s)
    5.2%
  5. Never

38 vote(s)
    32.8%
  1. Nasty-Fire

Nasty-Fire Discursion

I never do it because I just forget about it. Next show (Opeth) I will try to bring 'em. I want to be able to listen to music until I die.

2. Caesar Metallius

I got some ear plugs from this company:

http://www.etymotic.com/

Good price and the sound while wearing them is not bad at all. It actually helps the sound at really loud shows.

3. soundave

soundave Member

^Yep. They're good. You can get with free shipping from Sweetwater.com, too. Worthwhile investment, and only marginally not as good as custom molds for a tenth of the price. I had custom molds done (as I think I stated when this thread originally aired), but since I had 'em done when I was 19, they don't fit the same now that I'm 35. These new types of ear plugs seem to be the way to go for people who are just going to shows as opposed to making a living gigging.

4. Alteredmindeath

Alteredmindeath Wasteland Survivor

I have formed the start of a heavy band, so I always wear them now or i'll suffer the consequences of limited human mortality.

5. Chinese Whispers

Always, unless I forget them or it is a much smaller gig that doesn't require them.

6. To rid you disease

i hate every time i realize ive had the volume way too high up on my creative (no f-ing ipod) and my ears feel weird. its like "one step closer to becoming deaf/worse hearing <facepalm>".

i got a nice pair of closed headphones (denon) that i use, so at least i dont have to crank it up to get rid of the surrounding noise. problem rather lies in that my ears get accustomed with the sound level and whenever i play a track that is just a little bit better than the one before, i want it just a bit louder so i can enjoy it just a bit more...

7. biggsy

biggsy New Metal Member

ive never ever had ringiing goign on for days from a concert... probably the worst has stopped in the afternoon the day after. but i know i should grab some ear plugs at some point, seems stupid to lose hearing just to be 'tr00.' im not concerned at all about ipod volume or anything coz im not one of those inconsiderate motherfuckers who broadcast every possible decibel to the entire train.

8. Nasty-Fire

Nasty-Fire Discursion

Motherfucker is the word, in my opinion. I hate those guys. And then we talk about respect during a show? Pfft.

9. Anarkissed

Anarkissed BOK CHOY!!!

Haha, exactly the same here. Stupid. Nowadays I also use Hearos. In fact, my entire band uses them.

Soundave, be sure to post here about the ER20s when you use them! I'm curious how they compare to Hearos. Also, has anyone else here compared the custom moulded plugs to cheaper ear plugs like Hearos or ER20s?

Some bands, particularly metal bands, are just too bloody loud. I reckon a decibel meter should be a standard for sound engies! If it goes into the red more than three times everything automatically shuts off :lol:

10. soundave

soundave Member

I'll be sure to update. Being as that I start taking classes towards my audiology doctorate in June, I'm quite into this topic. A lot of my interest is in hearing loss with musicians and music fans.

11. wokketywok

wokketywok Member

I can only afford one or two concert a year, so no.

12. mexicola

mexicola Member

I just came back from playing music with two friends. My ears are ringing like a mutherfucker. I already have tinnitus.

13. Khayman666

Khayman666 Lord of the tomb

Always. I've also resorted to using rolled up tissues the times I've forgotten them. May not look very cool, but it works - and saved my ass when standing next to the PA at a SYL gig.

14. Anarkissed

Anarkissed BOK CHOY!!!

Haha, I did that a few times when I first started out in my band. Worked better than I thought it would.

15. Ozzloaf

Ozzloaf Art Geek

I got the high-end expensive "lossless" earplugs recently. I've worn them at three concerts so far and they're incredible! Up until these I've always dreaded earplugs. They damage the sound quality so much! These reduce the volume to a non-damaging level but do not hurt the sound quality tragically. It actually improves the sound quality in some cases as I like to stand VERY close to the stage where is normally a chaotic amount of fuzz and undecipherable noise. Truth be told, I've probably already damaged my hearing enough that these won't do much but what ever... They do hurt though, last night someone hit my ear in the pit while I had them on and my ear started to bleed a little... :/

16. Widows Sulk

Widows Sulk New Metal Member

lol this illidurit guy is my favorite poster

17. Arasmas

Arasmas New Metal Member

idk, i'm also a big fan of Frodo's Bulk

18. Slunk

Slunk Member

This thread inspired me to pick up some ear plugs. Thanks for saving my ears everyone.

19. soundave

soundave Member

That makes my day. Awesome! :)

20. Slunk

Slunk Member

I actually ordered the same pair you have (http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx).

I'm going to be honest though...I'll bring them to the Opeth show with me in May, but I highly doubt I will wear them. I just love Opeth too much.

BUT! I will be putting them in for Gojira on may 21st :)

ps. I got the neckstrap with mine. I hope I don't regret it. I don't want be looking like a tourist or anything =/