This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Edguy recording new album!

Discussion in 'Power Quest' started by Cronopio, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Cronopio

Cronopio Glorious Imperator

What do you guys think? What are your expectations? Mine are not that high, unfortunately, but anything might be better than Tinnitus Sanctus. I'm not expecting them to go back to the old school Edguy, but a mix of Mandrake, Hellfire Club and Rocket Ride would be nice.

2. 1928

1928 Jack Nippleson

I'm really glad to hear his take on the loudness war - if that's any indication of the production quality of the album, I think I'll be really pleased with it.

As for the music itself... Would I mind the glory days of pure power metal Edguy coming back? Absolutely not. But other than Rocket Ride being a little hit and miss with me, I thought Tinnitus Sanctus was a really good record, 'power metal' or 'hard rock' or whatever anyone wants to call it. After all, if I want to hear more power metal... I'll throw on Theater of Salvation or Mandrake. But I really like what they did on Tinnitus (Ministry of Saints, Pride of Creation, Speedhoven, Dragonfly, etc.) and I'm very excited to hear what they come up with for the new album. I'm a sucker for Tobi's voice, so I can't say I'll be disappointed with whatever comes out.

3. Kingface

Kingface Member

Will be interesting to find out what it's like. I did quite like Tinnitus Sanctus, but I kinda felt like the sound production didn't suit them but there's definitely some great songs on there. 'Dead or Rock' and 'Speedhoven' in particular spring to mind.

I actually really liked Rocket Ride! Great variety and some brilliant songs on it, including the amazing 'Sacrifice'.

Obviously anything in a similar vain to songs from 'Theater of Salvation', 'Mandrake' and 'Hellfire Club' for the new album would probably impress me!

4. 1928

1928 Jack Nippleson

After about, what, five years since Rocket Ride came out, I really think there's only one song I can actually say I dislike, and that's the title track itself. Something about the chorus just really irks me. Some others I really do love (Sacrifice, Save Me, Out of Vogue) and others I'm just kind of indifferent towards (like Superheroes - it's not bad, but it's not incredibly either, to me). Sacrifice is absolutely killer live, though.

Would be nice if they did a small tour where they only played material from pre-Hellfire, though, just for nostalgia's sake and to please some bitter fans :lol:

5. Nickstervarius

Nickstervarius Winning

I'm so happy about this. Absolutely love Edguy.

6. Symphony

Symphony PQ member

Yeah.....I was left a bit cold by the last one to be honest but I appreciate they won't go back to the days of Mandrake though

7. Cronopio

Does that mean you didn't like Mandrake, Steve?

8. 1928

1928 Jack Nippleson

I understood it more as Steve admiring Edguy's devotion to the new rock direction they've been taking!

At least I hope so.. People dislike Mandrake? Blasphemy :lol:

9. Cronopio

Exactly, my dear Nippleson ... Mandrake is the perfect Edguy album. The blend of speedy songs, anthemic mid-tempo songs and fucking heavy stuff (Nailed to the Wheel comes to mind) just hits the spot.

10. Nickstervarius

Nickstervarius Winning

I love Mandrake!

11. 1928

1928 Jack Nippleson

It's gotta be a tie between Mandrake and Theater of Salvation for me. I actually don't enjoy Nailed to the Wheel all that much but pretty much every other song is amazing. Theater of Salvation has some of their best stuff though, I don't know which I could choose between!

12. Cronopio

To me Vain Glory Opera, Theater of Salvation and Mandrake represent Edguy in their prime. Hellfire Club has grown on me over the years, but I remember not overly liking it when it came out.

13. 1928

1928 Jack Nippleson

I still love Hellfire Club, couldn't necessarily put it at the top though! That one's definitely where they began changing their sound. The Piper Never Dies feels like their last true 'epic', because as awesome as Sacrifice is, it's missing that element their previous long songs had. Not sure what it is exactly, it's just a bit different.

14. Tonberry

Tonberry Cutthroat Crusader

I loved Tinnitus Sanctus. Yeah I said it. I also loved Rocket Ride. All of it. And the Superheros E.P. And Mandrake. And Hellfire actually. Theater's pretty good too. A band that doesn't take themselves too seriously is always good craic. Roll on the new album!

15. Nickstervarius

Nickstervarius Winning

'You wanna fly, so you drag on flies, drag on Dragonflies!'

16. 1928

1928 Jack Nippleson

My girlfriend does not like this song at all... and I love it, haha! Infectious chorus!

17. Symphony

Symphony PQ member

Loved Mandrake......Loved Theater of Salvation....got to admit I've hardly played Tinnitus for a number of months.

I do find their "silly" lyrics a bit irritating at times though. I've never really wanted humour in my music.......for me that's what Ross Noble and Bill Bailey are for! lol!

18. Power_Metal_Dom

Power_Metal_Dom Epic Metaller

Happy to say I share both Steve's taste in comedians and Edguy albums :lol: Can't knock a bit of Lavatory Love Machine, mind!

Always excited to hear Tobias is working on something, really looking forward to this even if Tinnitus was a let down (not awful, just rather average). And I would like some deviation from the Rocket Ride sound. Sorry but I fell in love with the Edguy thickly-sliced power metal not the smearing of hard rock they've tipped towards.

19. 1928

1928 Jack Nippleson

Yeah. Would love to hear a song with an intro like Arrows Fly... or even another ballad like Land of the Miracle!

20. Nickstervarius

Nickstervarius Winning

I think the comedy is what makes Edguy who they are, in my opinion. I quite enjoyed Tinnitus.. Maybe not as much as their earlier stuff but there are some really good songs on there, like Dragonfly :D