This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Join the Chaos

Want to join in with the rest of the Hate Crew? Sign up today!

EMG ABQ / Jackson JE-1000

Discussion in 'Children Of Bodom' started by srob7001, Mar 2, 2010.

1. SIND

SIND Member

I can't speak on what frequencies the JE-1000 or MM-04 boost, but I can say that the MM-04 does sound different, to me, than the ABQ. The ABQ has significantly more of that cocked wah sound, especially on the higher strings.
    Also for anyone who's curious: you can totally use the ABQ with other pickups, but EMG use their Quik-Connect clips, so you will need to do some wire splicing in order to make it work with a non-EMG pickup. I've got mine wired to a J50BC and it sounds killer! Also, the ABQ has a lot more gain in the boost than the MM-04. I set both at 50% and the ABQ was much hotter of a signal(perhaps too hot lol.)

2. Wild_One69

Wild_One69 Member

Which pickup did you prefer with the ABQ? Any chance for some audio material of it/them?

3. SIND

SIND Member

I am planning on doing a comparison video of them very soon! I didn't unfortunately try the ABQ with the EMG, I had my local tech put it in with the J50BC right when I got it. With the J50BC, I think it really nails the early COB/Sinergy tones, but the normal 50-80% range of the boost is WAY too hot for anything Bodom related. I'm going to try dialing it down and I will report back what seems to be the ideal setting.

4. Wild_One69

Wild_One69 Member

Sound great. Really looking forward to hearing that comparison!

5. Wild_One69

Wild_One69 Member

How is that comparison video coming along? :) Any material yet?

6. SIND

SIND Member

Working on it! We've had some crazy winter storms here in Texas that knocked out our power for about a week, so nobody has done much since lol. My buddy did finish up this pedal for me that's an original JE-1000 in a pedal enclosure! I will definitely be testing this one out for a comparison too. The ABQ definitely has gobs and gobs of gain in comparison to my original, for sure. IMG_0281.JPG

7. Whiteknuckle Deathgrip

Have you found a place where you can get the ABQ as standalone?

8. <Arcane>

<Arcane> Active Member

Is there a standalone version? I thought you can only get it in combination with the EMG?

9. SIND

SIND Member

There isn't a standalone version, unfortunately. I bought a used ALX set and my local tech splice the wires coming off the ALX pickup so it could be used with a non-EMG pickup.

10. -AnzzA-

-AnzzA- Member

11. SIND

SIND Member

Interesting! I've never seen the ABQ sold new by itself here in the States. I wonder if it's something only Musamaailma offers since they were the shop that basically facilitated the creation of the MM-04 and thus, the EMG ALX/ABQ.

12. Whiteknuckle Deathgrip

13. srob7001

srob7001 I shred faces off for fun

Bumping an old-ish thread as I have more info on the matter.

You can buy the ABQ direct from EMG now. $89.00, you're better off buying the whole set since the ABQ is that much. Also, EMG has a reverb store that sells open box items. You can get the whole EMG P/U with ABQ and all wires for $105.00.

Yesterday I received a JE-1000 clone from a guy on e-bay for $45.00. Installed it last night with my Alexi EMG pickup. This thing is awesome! Probably about the same amount of boost from both, but the Jackson JE-1000 clone has a much more pronounced wah sound to it. Much better JE-1000 clone than the one I bought many years ago from someone else. This one is dead silent...unless you have the boost pretty high, then you will hear some noise.

Wanted to share this info as I have now tried the ABQ and JE-1000 with my EMG ALX pickup. They both sound great, but for $45.00 the JE-1000 clone is a much better option. Probably going to order a 2nd one just to have as a spare or to put into another guitar one day....got a Jackson Brandon Ellis Signature Kelly on order....so it might get a pickup change and JE-1000 added to it too.

Sill on the hunt for a J-50BC, so if anyone has a lead on one or has one they want to sell, just let me know.

Whiteknuckle Deathgrip and MattK like this.