This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ENGL e-530

Discussion in 'Backline' started by Lazzari, Jun 9, 2009.

1. GarethSE

GarethSE New Metal Member

converge is grind death metal?
    news to me.
    its hardcore.

and i never got the impression jacob bannon was trying be even remotely black metal
    he's just a dirty bastard with a dirty voice.

anyway, i was just dicking about anyway

2. The Unavoidable

The Unavoidable jättebög

Hah, you crazy americans and your "deth metal"

This is what it's all about:

As for the gain on an engl I haven't tried the e530 in question, every engl I've tried has had plenty of gain and tons of bite. It's apperently very similar to the Fireball head, and that's a brutal amp.

Check this out, it's Goddamn Guitar from this forum doing a testdrive of the pricier 570. I remember him describing it as the typical Engl sound, and that most of 'em can get this type of sound.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w92Mm4biO3Y&feature=related[/ame]

#22 The Unavoidable, Jun 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2015
  3. hsinn3r

hsinn3r Member

It's great value for money, and it can do br00tal/death or the like. I got mine about a month ago, though I haven' really messed with it yet. Here's a clip, on the lead hi gain channel, the gain on 12 o'clock, through guitarhacks thisone impulse
    http://rapidshare.com/files/242976536/engl530.mp3.html
    Sorry for the crappy playing, I just got my hair cut after almost 10 years and I don't really feel like doing anything at the moment :'(

4. Metaltastic

Metaltastic Member

Honestly, from all the clips I've heard (can't listen to yours hsinn3r as I'm still waiting for my new interface after my last one died :(), including Kazrogs, it's sounded very grainy/nasally, which I guess is characteristic of Engls but is much more unpleasant to my ears than the clips of the higher-end ones (namely Savage, Blackmore, 570 preamp)

5. DanLights

DanLights Santa Hat Forever

I feel you bro, I'm in the same situation. Didn't let that put me down though, I still play shows and all

6. Lazzari

Lazzari Chakachakalabuchaka

well maybe im going to run it the same way, since a tube poweramp its out of my budget now...

Dude thanks for the sample ! Im really sorry about you cutting your hair btw.. it will grow back again ! :kickass:

im really digging the sound of that tune to be honest ! Thanks !

7. Racerdeth

Racerdeth Member

I've got one, I love the thing, the speaker simmed output is rather effin' good too!

8. Lazzari

i guess my ignorance betrays me lol, whats a speaker simmed output ?? can u use it as a power amp too ???

9. 006

006 Member

It's an output that has some EQ on it that makes it sound somewhat like a cabinet.

The headphone out from the 530, according to Kazrog, can power a 4x12, not much but it technically can. Dunno how much exactly, most likely not a lot at all haha.

The 530 is one of the preamps I must have some day. Along with a Rockmaster and one of those very elusive Soldano ones.

10. Lazzari

^^ So its and output that can be used to record a guitar (Maybe not the best way but its good enough for only tracking guitars, yes?) after checking the manual i saw something about the headphone being somewhat near the 1.5 watts or 3 watts dont remember actually, maybe it could power a 4x12 but maybe is to quiet to rehearse..

11. 006

006 Member

Yeah, it would be just for dicking around at home, not really loud enough to play with drums or anything haha. I suppose you could use the cabsim output to record, it won't be great (IMO) but I guess for demo'ing it would work just fine. You could also record the regular preamp-only out and use free impulses on that signal, this is how Shane (Kazrog) uses his, sounds great.

12. Lazzari

^^ Yeah well i need to know more bout impulses lol i dont know shit bout them, ive seen some faqs here about impulses.. going to read asap...

13. 006

006 Member

Well, I'm not going to run through it because it's widely covered in the forum, but basically you should know it'll sound a fuck of a lot better than using the cabsim output on the 530.

14. Erkan

Erkan mr-walker.bandcamp

You guys make ME want to buy an ENGL preamp... you know that? I'm not even a guitarist, I just play it because I have to in order to make some songs but seriously... I want to buy one :p Damn... I might actually start sneaking around on the net for a good price. If I could find a used one I'd go "BINGO" all over that shit!

15. hsinn3r

hsinn3r Member

The eq is kinda weird, I'll give you that, it sounds good with everything on 12 o'clock, but messing around with is feels... weird :loco: But I haven't really messed around with it seriously yet

Short-haired metal for the win :kickass: Though the reason I had to cut it, is because I have to serve in the military (it's still mandatory here), but after that I'll definetly grow it back!

Yeah it has "compensated" outputs, to go direct into the mixer, I'll try to record something for you later on so you can hear the difference. Though as the others said, you are way better using the preamp out, and feed it into an impulse (read the stickies!). The poweramp can be used either for phones, or for a cab, but you have to be carefull, first of all to choose the correct ohm setting from the back (cabinet or headphones), and make sure you're using a stereo (balanced) cable!

from the manual

16. Decimator

Decimator Member

I changed the preamp tubes from my e530 to JJ's. The tone is better but surprisingly the range of eq knobs changed. Low mid does very little while hi-mid and treble does a lot. But all in all its better than before. I have also got good results boosting the maxed out clean channel. Good rock tone:headbang: Haven't got very good clean sounds out of it yet though. I mean they are just ok, but not great.

17. Erkan

Erkan mr-walker.bandcamp

I just looked up the price difference between the 530 and 570 and it's HUGE. The 530 goes for 499€ on Thomann while the 570 goes for 1490€ or something... freakin' christ man! But I saw a youtube clip of the 570 and boy did it sound just the way I want my guitars to sound :) I wonder if the 530 sounds like I want 'em... time to go find out, YouTube, here I come!

18. ParsonsMatt

ParsonsMatt Alas, Tyranny

I've found the compensated outs on the e530 to really suck... Worthless.

Really?! I love the cleans! Very spanky and bright.

19. Metaltastic

Metaltastic Member

Well the 570 is marketed as the preamp section from the Engl SE, which is the company's "everything and the kitchen sink" offering, as opposed to the much more no-frills e530. I have no trouble with a gizmo that can only do one sound, as long as it's good, but I'm still not convinced by the e530...

20. Metaltastic

Metaltastic Member

Oh, and hsinn3r, download limit on rapidshare reached, why would you use that awful website? :D www.getdropbox.com fool!