This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ENGL e-530

Discussion in 'Backline' started by Lazzari, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Eschatologist

Eschatologist Member

They suck on my Savage too...wish it had a switch to turn em off, I'd love to have a balanced line out with no cab sim tainting it...

2. Erkan

Erkan mr-walker.bandcamp

I've heard some good clips of the e530 now but I don't think it's a good idea to spend 500€ on something I won't use that often... a set of triggers for my drums would probably help me improve my sound a lot more :) I'll stick to software solutions for a while longer.

3. if6was9

if6was9 Ireland

The e530 has both frequency compensated and regular line outs so it's not a problem.

Good preamp, my brothers has a problem with noise though, gotta give it a look and see if we can fix it

4. motomoto

motomoto Member

WARNING: ENGLs E530 stock tubes SUCK HARD.If you deside to buy it change them right away.Dont put groove tubes.They suck too:lol:.I have sovtecs in mine but i will change soon to JJs.

5. hsinn3r

hsinn3r Member

I didn't really think that anyone would want to hear it :p

Well anyway, here's a short clip, first with the thisone impulse by guitarhack, then the compensated out, and then the dry line out signal. I think that maybe you can make the compensated out sound decent, could be useful to go straight to the pa.

Oh, and yeah I bought new JJ tubes for it, but it didn't make a major difference imho.

edit : D'OH! forgot the clip :p http://files.getdropbox.com/u/1328506/e530B.mp3

6. Lazzari

Lazzari Chakachakalabuchaka

The first one is the best one imho ! the second one is like old Anthrax albums ! but the last one is to fizzy ! Could u get more sustain or distortion to the first clip ?

7. hsinn3r

hsinn3r Member

Download boogex, and read the impulse faq, and then you can make the third clip sound like the first :kickass:

The gain is only on 10-11 o'clock, less then half the gain..

8. Metaltastic

Metaltastic Member

Wow dude, that sounds badass - way too bassy IMO, but it doesn't really have too much of that nasal/grainy quality that I didn't like in other clips I've heard.

Eek though, the second one just came in, and suddenly I feel like I'm listening to a 10-watt practice amp :lol:

And damn, that's a fuckload of gain for having the knob below 12:00!

9. DanLights

DanLights Santa Hat Forever

oh yeah that compensated out sounds like total crap next to the first clip, and the third one sucks too haha. as marcus said, a bit too bassy but I like it, and for the purpose Lazzari wants it (I should know, I'm his bassist) It could use some more gain, but as you say it's only on 10o clock so I guess it has a lot more distorsion to show. Would it bother too much to post a clip like the first one but with gain a lot higher?

10. hsinn3r

hsinn3r Member

yeah, just give me some time, I'll probably post tommorow

11. Metaltastic

Metaltastic Member

What kind of head do you have now dude? (that you would run the e530 into the FX return of, I mean) Cuz for a relatively inexpensive power amp that sounds great (and is reliable), check out ebay for either the TubeWorks MosValve or Hafler G150 (also sold as the Digitech G150, same thing); both are solid-state but use MosFET amplifiers that sound very warm and musical for transistors IMO; I had a Hafler for awhile and really liked it with my PodXT, and I think it's better than the MosValve cuz it has a dedicated Mono output (whereas the MosValve doesn't, stupidly :Smug: ) And yeah, after listening to hsinn3r's clips, you'd have to be crazy to use the compensated outputs for ANYTHING IMO! :loco:

12. Lazzari

Lazzari Chakachakalabuchaka

Well im going to get a Carvin tube poweramp the TS100, looks good and the price is not that bad for a tube poweramp... the thing is that here in Vzla to buy things in ebay its really hard... but ill look up into the G150 and the TubeWorks Hafler, let me see wich one could i buy.. first i need the pre :lol:

well i guess that with the gain near 2 o'clock could be more than enough for what i need it to..

Btw: Thanks guys for all of the inputs, really helpfull ! :headbang:

13. ParsonsMatt

ParsonsMatt Alas, Tyranny

This is the truth!

I've got a Mullard RI 12AX7 and a JJ ECC83S in mine, and the tone sounds really great. The Mullard RI tube is my favorite for V1 in all amps I've tried. And the rest get either Penta Labs or JJ depending on whether I want it darker or brighter.

14. Kazrog

Kazrog CEO/CTO, Kazrog, Inc.

I've got JJ/Tesla 12AX7s in mine. I gave the stock ENGL tubes to a friend of mine, who is currently using them in a vintage tube organ. :lol:

Still, an unbeatable preamp for the money and it's one of my favorite and most-utilized pieces of gear in my collection.

15. Decimator

Decimator Member

16. motomoto

motomoto Member

Niceeeeeeeeeee:kickass:

17. Decimator

Decimator Member

18. Oak

Oak Member

I like the tone :) I'm curious how this was recorded though. Real cab? Impulses? Compensated output (i think not :D )?

19. VH100R

VH100R Member

me too... that's a really good tone you got there man. share the details.

20. Decimator

Decimator Member

Thanks dudes :kickass:

I used Epi Les Paul w/ SD JB in the bridge position. Lead channel with hi gain activated and contour on.

The settings

Lead gain at 1 o'clock
    Bass 3 o'clock
    Lo Mid -full
    Hi MId 3 o'clock
    Treble 4 o'clock

Then from line outs to computer and KeFir and Guitarhack JJ FRED45-HALF impulse.