This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Join the Chaos

Want to join in with the rest of the Hate Crew? Sign up today!

Equipment for One Man Metal Project?

Discussion in 'Children Of Bodom' started by (__Joonas__), Feb 14, 2016.

1. (__Joonas__)

(__Joonas__) † Followed the Reaper †

So...

If one wants to create some mindblowing black metal or doom metal album, what stuff is required? Guitars and keyboards could be recorded physically, rest should be done in fruity loops or something. What devices are needed and what programs?

I would really wanna do some fucking extreme black metal and doom metal. Same animal and soundworld but very different tempos, either fast or slow but no medium.

2. RICJAMES

RICJAMES Member

Just an audio interface, something like a focusrite scarlett 2i2 which should be enough.
    A good daw, something like reaper, a pro license is about 30 bucks, so not much.
    EZ Drummer+Drums from hellUpgrade Kit. Probably the best drumprogram.
    Some plugins you like, like Bias or whatnot, there are thousands of plugins out there.
    And probably 1 or 2 good mics when you want to record a real amp.
    If you want reamp it you need a DI Box in addition to that.

3. <Arcane>

<Arcane> Active Member

You need:
    - a guitar
    - guitar cable
    - skills
    - guitar pick
    - DI box
    - PC
    - skills
    - DAW (fuck reaper. audition 3.0 is old but much better and you can download it for free from the adobe page.)
    - skills
    - guitar pro
    - skills
    - a shit load of money if you want to buy professional plugins for keys, bass or drums
    - or just a few bugs to buy a filesharing account and download the plugins illegal but for free
    - external storage for your illegal downloaded plugins (f.ex. Superior Drummer (+metal packs), hardcore bass, symphonic orchestra + the few free plugins you'll have to download need more than 200GB of free space)
    - skills
    - good headphones/speaker

Says who? Are you serious? :D

#3 <Arcane>, Feb 14, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  4. (__Joonas__)

(__Joonas__) † Followed the Reaper †

I see... I guess I'm just gonna have to bury my dreams of making music... I really, really suck at technology, I'm even against smart phones. Unless I develop a passion for the idea that develops into obsession.

5. ESA1996

ESA1996 Member

A simplified list of what you need:
    - Guitar
    - Guitar cable
    - Guitar pick
    - DI box (An external sound card, these are unfortunately far from cheap)
    - PC
    - DAW
    - VSTs (Every DAW I've tried has come with VSTs pre-installed, but you can also either buy or download more of them).
    - Loads of memory, especially if you decide to buy some of the better VSTs as they take hundreds of gigabytes of memory.

6. Works0fheart

Works0fheart Member

Or, you could, you know, just put in the hard work and learn to use stuff. If you give up that easily on everything then what are you ever going to accomplish? No one is good at these things right off of the bat. It takes time.