This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

EVH 5150 III 50Wrecorded at 0.4 (yes, less than 1) on Master Volume.

Discussion in 'Backline' started by GuitarHack, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Skaldir

Skaldir formerly known as Unicorn

Funny. I also made a little volume with my EVH test after reading your thread.
    Here the difference was a bit bigger than in your clips.
    I had volume 1.6 against 4 or 5. And the lower volume sounded smoother and more scooped kinda. The loud one had harder mids. Could also come from the speakers of course. I prefered the lower volume and will reamp with it now :)

2. Ermz

Ermz ¯\(°_o)/¯

Louder clip is better on your latest, GH. Power amp seems to compress the tone more - would let it sit more easily on a mix. Errant transients and cab/room flub on guitar tracks can slay you.

Also, the mids are way better on the louder clip - the tone has become more dominant in the lower mids, and the upper mids are less hard.

3. bryan_kilco

bryan_kilco Member

This is more of a problem with vocals for me. I usually run 2 compressors and a limiter on the vocal chain and this really brings up the noise level. Maybe I'm compressing way too hard.

4. everybody's x

everybody's x My name is Damage

sounds great dude

5. miche

miche Member

Awesome & smooth clips, as usual! With recent V30s... Damn man, how can you find a sweet spot in those?

Do you really mean "way better" ? I tested this quite a few times too, and I I felt the difference was more obvious on my clips than GH ones, but it was mostly the top end that was darker and tighter on louder clips. Would you really say you'd have a hard time mixing the soft clip VS the loud one?

If that's the case, I really need to find a new pair of ears on ebay ;)

6. JeffTD

JeffTD Senhor Testiculo

He does and I hear it too. It's going to be harder to fit into a mix off the bat, but the biggest issue is that the louder clip I can guarantee will take processing much better than the quieter clip will.

7. kev

kev Im guybrush threepwood

Damn, I do like that quieter clip. Pretty tight. Power distortion really smooth's it out in the louder one but I did miss the midrange. As usual a well recorded cab from guitarhack! Think you should bring us Harley Benton impulses :D

8. Mago

Mago Austrian Blech Machine

hm...yeah, there's a difference from the lower to the louder one, even though I only listened to the soundcloud clips.

I guess the difference is similar to good ampsim+good impulse: initially it sounds cool, but somehow it doesn't want to sit the way you'd want it to.
    Not meaning that the lower one wouldn't work or doesn't sound cool, it's just the difference I'd imagine it would make in the end.

And the squishyness/compression is more juicy on more volume. I'd maybe adjust treble and presence a bit for the more volume clip tho

9. born_dead

born_dead Member

fuuuuk, EVH 5150III 50 w - my next purchase! great tone!

10. rispsira

rispsira Member

well the fact that youre the one micing it does play a role.. But nonetheless for the volume you are using talk about a good practise amp. Thanks for sharing!