This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Favourite Drummer

Discussion in 'Saxon' started by nightwar, Jun 12, 2005.

1. nightwar

nightwar Member

OK - We've had everything else, but not our favourite drummer!!!

Scott Travis - Priest: Listen to 'Painkiller'. This guy brought Priest into the '90s!

Nigel Glockler - Saxon: The Ultimate Saxon drummer! He could come out with so many different styles that you can't quite put him in a category. Yet, it was this broad range that helped Saxon survive the eighties and make it through to the next decade. Unlike many drummers, his input was a huge influence on the band's sound and style. His best moments came on P&G, Crusader and Unleash The Beast. Come back, Nige!

Bill Ward - Sabbath: like Geezer on the bass, never over-played or under-played. A true stoned professional!

John Bonham - Led Zepp: people go on and on about Page, but I believe that this guy was what made Zeppelin special! Listen to Led Zep stuff and it's Bonham who is driving the song!

Cosy Powell - loads of bands!: the ultimate Drum For Hire. He never over-played, yet you could always tell it was Cosy!! Check out Rainbow's 'Light In The Black'!

Neil Peart - Rush: He is The Professor. He makes the impossible possible. He is regarded by other drummers with a God-like awe, yet he can still kick ass in Rock! Just remember to pick your chin back off the floor after listening to 'Farewell To Kings'!

Nicko McBrain - Maiden: He is one of those blokes that you see in a pub and is regarded as an insane - but funny - nutter! His drum style comes across in the exact same way. He shines on 'Piece Of Mind'!!

Phil Rudd - AC/DC: The ultimate rock-solid drummer with no frills. He is 'rhythm' personified. Loads of drummers could learn from him in the method of "STOP OVERPLAYING AND STICK TO THE BLOODY SONG!!!!"

Bill Bruford - Yes: Like Peart, but without the Rock-Edge. I always though he was a weird hybrid of Peart and Phil Collins before he sold his soul and became a tosser!

2. RicknRoll

RicknRoll Member

Now your talking, myself being a drummer I am going to have a tendency to be a little bias on this one.

John Bomham: The one that started all, even professor Peart claims hm as a influence

Simon Kirk: Like Phill Rudd rock steady but has to be seen live to really appreciate his style

Nigel G: I agree with you Mr War he is and will always be the best drummer for Saxon

Neil Peart: Of coure saw the Hemispheres tour to MUCH :OMG:

Keith Moon: Absolute mad man totaly unorthodox drum style

Buddy Rich : (RIP) had to be seen to be believed

3. valanx

valanx Room of Angel

Heres mine in no particular oder!

Dave Lombardo - Slayer, Testament - For his phenomenal work on Testaments 1999 "The Gathering" alone, this guy gets my vote as the best drummer i personally have ever heard!

Scot Travis - For blowing my head off the first time i heard Painkiller all those years ago, and for doing it again when i saw Priest live recently!

Nicolas Bastard - COF, Dimmu Borgir - Huge guy! Massive drums, double bass fury from hell!!

Trym - EmpEroR - Shit hot with all the complicated drum patterns and extremely fast , awesome techniques! "Anthems to the welkin at dusk" be his finest hour!!

The guy from fear factory (forgot his name!) - Hes like a machine!!!

And of course special mentions to Nigel G and Phil R, those guys have more than made thier mark on the songs we love by 'DC and Saxon

4. Fingers

Fingers Member

Dave Lombardo - Slayer - Brutal

Dave Maclain - Machine Head - Even more brutal !

5. princess_of_the_night2112

princess_of_the_night2112 Goddess of Metal

I agree with you Nightwar, by 2 fav drummers are Neil Peart, the Professor, who is just absoutely sensational, well he does drum for my fav band on this earth. And John Bonham as well, truly a genius.

6. nightwar

nightwar Member

I'm glad of your support, Your Royal Highness! I caught Rush during their anniversary tour at Birmingham - now, for most bands, drum solos can be simply 'filler' for gigs, but Neil P's solo was awe inspiring! I canhonestly say that I don't think there is another mortal on the planet that can play like that!
    As you are such a huge Rush fan, Your Royal Highness, listen to 'Sailing To America' from the Crusader album and tell me what you think, ok? Is it me, or is Nigel Glockler in 'Peart' mode?

7. Impenitent

Impenitent Member

Glockler, Peart, and Rudd as listed above...

I'd add one:

Rick Allen -Def Leppard

-Imp

8. valanx

valanx Room of Angel

Sweet mate! Yeah!!

9. Heart Of A Lion

Ok, here are my fav drummers (in no particular order):

Scott Travis: he is the Machine Man, he plays with incredible precision and strength. He was the perfect choice for the sound of Priest in the 90's and 00's.

Bill Ward: he's not a very technical drummer, but he plays with such passion , which is one of Sabbath's trademark.

Herman Harebell: great drummer and great composer, great years with the German masters of the Scorpions.

Stefan Kaufmann: this guy made history. I remember when lots of metallers were blown away in the beginning of the 80's, by listening to this guy playing Fast As A Shark! It's sad that he can't play the drums again due to a health problem, anyway he plays very well the guitars in U.D.O..

Les Binks: a very technical drummer with a unique style. He was perfect for Priest in the 70's.

James Kottak: the sound of Scorpions in the 90's and 00's.

Nigel Glockler: for me, Saxon's best drummer.

10. nightwar

nightwar Member

Some nice and original choices mentioned recently!

Rick Allen - Well, you have to hand it to him!
    Seriously, he comes across as a really nice guy and any other person would have stopped playing after that awful car accident!
    Les Binks - totally agree. He was perfect for Priest at the time. I wonder what he's doing now?
    Stefan Kaufmann - pardon my ignorance but I have no idea who he is! Any more details Mr Lion? Sounds like he made a big impact and I'm sure to know some of the material he was involved with.

btw - interestting to see that noone has mentioned Keith Moon yet. Overated perhaps?...

11. Heart Of A Lion

Stefan Kaufmann was the drummer of Accept, from their first album to their last one. Now he plays guitars in Udo Dirkschneider's band U.D.O.. Udo was the vocxalist of Accept.
    Recently Accept played in some Reunion shows, but Stefan was not at the drums.

12. nightwar

nightwar Member

Thanks for the info, Mr Lion!
    It sounds like an interestting story is lurking behind all that!

I think I will have to check out the Accept & UDO sites!

13. valanx

valanx Room of Angel

Personally im still flawed by some of Les Binks work! The guy was much better than Dave Holland, i hope that fucker rots in jail man!

Lots of Accepts stuff was way ahead of its time, I awlays loved thier style of production during the mid 80s (far superior to that of others such as hmmm Diamond head!) i used to really like them alot, great drums , wicked guitar harmonies and of course Udo's ragged and oh so Metal vox! I have a few UDO cds also , "Faceless world" is a good one! and i love Udos rendition of 'Metal Gods' awesome !!

14. princess_of_the_night2112

princess_of_the_night2112 Goddess of Metal

Right that's it Valanx, if you think I'm going to show you my pics of me wearing my Saxon Tshirt and my Rush wan you can think again!!!!! I also got some pics wearing THAT JACKET, although admittedly I look like a glaikit cow in those ones. Not too sure if you are familiar with the word glaikit, that's how you spell it but you pronounce it glaykit, glay as in clay. Not really too sure what it means, sort of means spasticated. Got some pics of the back, front and one arm. Well I do have 2 arms but I think one pic of one arm came out, if you know what I mean.

Ok then.........................I will get these pics on here later on tonight. Youse better all have a big stiff drink in your hands to prepare you for the shock!!!!!!

15. Changes 74

Changes 74 Member

I'll go along with Neil Peart,saw him at Manchester last year awesome but I'd also put a word in for Ian Paice and Carl Palmer( not the Catterick one :Spin: ) he can actually play all those drums

16. Sir Ade

Sir Ade New Metal Member

Crikey. What's happened to your memories?

No one can top Cozy Powell. Who else has had a solo top 10 hit with a drum solo!!

17. nightwar

nightwar Member

Your Royal Highness - if there are pictures of Saxon and Rush shirts you just have to show them!
    Although, I'm more interested to see how many arms you have! Your description kind of confused me!

Mr Changes - I cannot agree more. Neil Peart has to be the best all-round drummer ever! OK, he is a little serious and sometimes his lyrics are a little too conservative, but I know no other drummer that has so much energy, brawn and style in one go! If you have not already got it, buy 'Vapour Trails'. Awesome!

Sir Ade - Ah, yes: 'Dance With The Devil'? That was Cozy's big hit, right? It was such a shame what happened to Cozy, as he was being really busy at the time - he was working on loads of popular projects.
    His work with Rainbow and Sabbath were top-drawer. He was a no-fuss drummer but you always knew it was Cozy playing. So much energy and style! Who knows, he could have become a part of Saxon if he wasn't taken away from us. I think he would have got on well with Biff!

18. valanx

valanx Room of Angel

Ok then Princeless.................... Were are the pics then ????

Sir Ade - you are quite right! Rest in Piece Cozy! His work on Tiptons 'baptizm of fire' i will never forget!

19. nightwar

nightwar Member

Valanx - I was ahead of you on the 'Big Stiff' pun, but I was just too polite to say!!

Anyhow - where are the pictures, Your Royal Highness!!!!????

20. valanx

valanx Room of Angel

I have no idea what your talking about Nightwar my friend, my above post makes no mention of what you refer to!

:devil:

Princeless - I would be mindfull of the impure thoughts Master Nightwar harbours for you!!

Now please excuse me, while i get busy with my big stiff drink....