This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Female Fronted Bands

Discussion in 'Laser's Edge' started by Metman, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Metman

Metman Mets/Jets /Ranger Fan

Whats your opinion on Prog. bands fronted by Female vocals.. Not my cup of tea.
    Except ( IMO) Renaissance & Anathema ( on occation)

2. Terry L

Terry L Member

There are several female fronted prog bands I like:
    Cirrus Bay - Conqueror - Diablo Swing Orchestra - District 97 - Edenbridge - Eternal Wanderers - Farther Paint - Kingfisher Sky - Sarah Longfield - Soul Enema - Yuka & Chronoship

3. Terry L

Terry L Member

Add Scardust to the list.

#3 Terry L, May 27, 2019
    Last edited: May 27, 2019
  4. Crazy Booduh

Crazy Booduh Member

For a long time, I pretty much wrote off any band that was female fronted because none of them had ever grabbed me. I'm guessing it's because many of them stay in that SUPER operatic style/range, which isn't for me. Many of the bands are also pretty cookie-cutter at this point and are basically doing the same thing as 1000 other female fronted bands.

One of the bands that finally tipped it for me was Epica, much heavier than expected and Simone Simmons doesn't go full on opera all that often. Triosphere, Collibus, and Unleash the Archers are some other ones that helped me bridge the gap and I think it's because they mostly stay more in that a mid-range, almost "rock" like style.

Now I don't bat an eye whenever I see a new female fronted band release something. I just check it out and see if I dig it.

5. lasercd

lasercd Man Behind The Curtain

That metal genre became oversaturated. I still follow Delain and continue to really enjoy their output. Its well crafted all the way around. Within Temptation took a left turn and they kind of lost me. I can enjoy bands like Nightwish and Epica but the heavy compression used in the mix/mastering makes it a tiring listen.

LeepinLeemur likes this.
  6. Sir Exar Kun

Sir Exar Kun Member

Initially it was a bit of a novelty, and a lot of the bands that wanted to incorporate female vocals all tried to emulate the same sound..... Now, it's reached a point of greater diversification where you don't know what to expect just because a band is "female fronted". Vocal stylings are much more diverse now also, ranging from death growls all the way to the aforementioned operatic vocals.

The Gathering's "Mandylion" was the first album that really pulled me in, followed very quickly by the B&B scene like Theater of Tragedy and After Forever. Epica has perfected the genre, quite honestly, and Within Temptation has become glorified pop music.

7. CiG

CiG Astral Projektor

Atrox did it best, for me.

8. lasercd

lasercd Man Behind The Curtain

I never warmed up to them too much but they certainly were an interesting band - cut from a different cloth.

CiG likes this.
  9. Liquid Tension

Madder Mortem has a female singer without the opera that I like the best of them.

10. Prog_Rocks

Prog_Rocks New Metal Member

Blame Zeus is a female fronted band. Some Prog, but mostly Alt Metal. Really enjoy the singles off their new record.

11. Mullmuzzler

Mullmuzzler Member

Kind on the same boat. Can't listen to WT anymore. Epica and Anathema are the bands that I like the most from female fronted bands. I just barely started listening to Delain and so far I'm liking what I'm hearing.