This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

"female-fronted symphonic arab metal"

Discussion in 'RC' started by einride, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Reign in Acai

Reign in Acai Gnats before thy gums

Mia Khalifa is the most overrated slattern of all time. Bint needs a tbone steak on the daily for a good calendar year. Hijab+bolt ons= Profit

2. Opeth17

Opeth17 Bill Ward's Red Pants

I'm glad I opened this thread even though I'm not that interested in the original post because there's a nice little discussion in here.

These are great points. I see all of this too. I think part of it is the natural consequences of metal having been around for a good while now. The primary paths have been charted, the fanbase has proliferated, re-trenchment has occurred and stylistic boundaries have been set. A lot of people are content to produce music within those boundaries and others might simply find it harder to break new ground without pushing too far into experimental territory that might take them away from the boundaries of metal or away from the roots of the music they enjoy and set out to create. It does seem like a lot of the times bands intentionally set out to be an atmospheric BM project in the vein of whatever though I suppose that's not always a bad thing.

I have a hard time telling if I'm just a meat and potatoes guy that isn't bothered by a lack of experimentation and creativity or if I'm just not as fatigued because I took a long break from being deeply engaged with metal. There's so much great classic metal available, as well as bands executing music in the traditional genres so well that I'm rather content. I mean I already have hundreds of bands like this to enjoy at any moment. The problem is that people like us are ALWAYS searching for new bands. So, the question is: will I get tired of listening to bands in the traditional metal genres at some point or not? I'm inclined to say no since I've returned to this music with such vigor these many years down the road, but who knows.

Yeah, it helps to try some other things. During my forays outside of metal I came to enjoy traditional country, folk, bluegrass, etc. I also like instrumental folk music from East Asia and the Middle East, as well as Orthodox liturgical music and chanting. Medieval European folk music is also excellent. I even dabbled in a little Motown/Soul/R&B stuff in college. For pure listening enjoyment, nothing pulls me in like metal.

3. Krilons Resa

Krilons Resa High Infidelity

Most of the stuff I have heard that falls under these umbrellas rock my socks off.

Opeth17 likes this.
  4. Opeth17

Listen to some Chinese erhu music. I love that stuff. Probably because I was so into Three Kingdoms stuff (video games, shows, etc. about this era of Chinese history). This one is my favorite:

For Middle Eastern, I like oud music:

Early Music Consort of London and Oni Wytars do great re-creations of Medieval European folk music.

I prefer Byzantine/Coptic Orthodox chant over Russian, but they are all beautiful. This is one of my favorites, though I prefer when it's sung by Arabs:

This is just some dude recording the chanters on his phone but captures what I'm talking about when it comes to the Arabic influence:

5. J.

J. Old Fart

Jeez, i was gonna say Darkestrah

6. Opeth17

J. opening this thread like

surprise.gif