This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

films ppl should see

Discussion in 'Anathema' started by toolsofthetrade, Mar 18, 2004.

1. Morpheus

Morpheus Member

Now then, any new recommendations? Films you seen lately and think they're worth checking out? Not only hollywood stuff if possible.

2. Strangelight

Strangelight steak(knife) no more

The Tall Guy
    Highlander
    Our Day Out

3. Cerulean

Cerulean Not very cerulean eh

L'arroseur Arrosé :tickled:

4. Allan

Allan New Metal Member

Get that Tour of Duty dvd, 30 some episodes

5. Bambi

Bambi Villain of the piece

I just got a shit load of dvds today
    robin of sherwood first series box set..it rocks
    nick cave at god is in the house only 11 euros
    near dark 13 euros
    hammer horror box set

Im sorted for the bank holiday

6. Crack Hitler

Crack Hitler homeless

collateral. michael mann doesn't fail :headbang:

7. Susie

Susie Member

I watched 'Final Destination 2' last night and it was cool, some good bits in that if you ask me :cool:

8. Morpheus

Morpheus Member

i dunno it was somehow ok, wasn't that impressed. Maybe i should watch it again.

I finally borrowed Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and it's good, enjoyed watching it. Jim Carrey surprisingly good in this more of a melancholic role.

9. Loona

Loona *~holdacska~*

now I really really want to see the remastered version of Baraka. and The Whalerider too. Did anyone see any of these?

10. best

best Themanwithnoname

i think whalerider is pretty bad. i saw oldboy today and it blew my mind, there are pretty hardcore twists in the storyline and it really makes you think.

11. Crack Hitler

Crack Hitler homeless

aah, oldboy. think I raved about it in some thread. maybe earlier in this one? fucked me up big time for a day or so.

and thorsten, you're wrong. collateral was ace ;) not the storyline itself, but the mood and the depth of the main characters (no, really). i dunno, i loved it.

12. snow2fall

snow2fall Member

I saw Whalerider earlier this year, and I liked it. It's different from the standard Hollywood movies, an insight into Maori life today and the struggles that come with living between two worlds - the modern and traditional society... all interwoven with Maori myths.
    What I didn't like about the movie (because it seemed very unrealistically) was the about non-existing appearance by non-Maoris, even though the people of European descent constitute the majority (>75%) in New Zealand's population.

13. Morpheus

Morpheus Member

well it somehow didn't catch me that much. I agree the atmosphere was nice, but, i dunno. I'll watch it again.

Anyone seen The Downfall: Hitler and the End of the Third Reich yet? What you think of it?

14. Crack Hitler

Crack Hitler homeless

I had a slow and boring morning yesterday so I went to see The Motorcycle Diaries which I thought was quite excellent. Even if you discard the real facts behind these characters it still works as a piece of fiction and a warm road movie. Surely got me pumped up for my next trip, whenever wherever that might be and it also made me wanna read the book, them diaries. Anyone?

nope. hasn't landed here yet, and I dunno when it will. So you saw it?

15. Morpheus

Morpheus Member

Well it was quite ok for a german production. Some really sick scenes in it. Honestly, i find it hard to review this film. It's a long movie which it has to be i reckon, but it was somehow not sth i would talk about all the time. Still worth a watching. I preferred Hitler: The Rise of Evil with Robert Carlyle somehow, it contained more new information for me and Carlyle acted very good imo.

Btw Jussi, i finally saw Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind! It's a good movie, which i really enjoyed to watch. Carry was great indeed, although he had a serious role.

16. Crack Hitler

Crack Hitler homeless

I will check that hitler movie once it's out (ok, and after reading a few reviews :) ). Glad you enjoyed Eternal Sunshine, I honestly think it's one of the greatest movies of last year or two, up there with Lost in Translation and Before Sunset and what else. hmmh, seems I now can remember only the romantic stuff that's come out lately, haha :D

Finally got my copy of Shaun of the Dead yesterday, and it was really, really good. I didn't know I could still laugh that loud at any movie, more amazing cause I was sober. It was not perfect, but pretty much everything I want my romantic zombie movies to be :tickled:

17. Morpheus

Morpheus Member

any non- zombie- movies to recommend? ;) I'm not for romantic stuff either these days .....and if i'm not blind there's little interesting in cinema at the moment.

Btw anyone seen Mind Hunters? Was quit good imo, so was Man on fire.

Ah that Eurotrip one was surprisingly very funny, you should see that one Jussi! Vinny Jones at his best (a small but decent role).

And i would really like to see that Oblivion film Anathema was contributing 'Violence' for. But they don't write back on my question about when it'll be aired.

18. Bartje

Bartje oalmaajtie

Solaris is a must see movie, jeremy davis is fantastic in this movie.
    Also elephant, made a very loud blast in my guts...

19. Crack Hitler

Crack Hitler homeless

Elephant is truly great yeah. Still disturbing and haunting on the second viewing as well. Tho I'm sure it's such a film some might call it pretentious shite.

so. none saw the motorcycle diaries, hmmh?

[edit] oh, and I gotta mention I've seen that shaun of the dead three times since monday already :D watched it twice with commentaries. good stuff.

20. Bambi

Bambi Villain of the piece

just bought a bela lugosi three pack, white zombie, killer bats and ghosts on the loose. White zombie is the biz. Also got shogun assasin for dirt cheap. Monster monster monster!!