This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Fitness and Nutrition

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

OK, there's been a lot of questions about training and eating well, etc. in the forum of late, it's about time it got its own thread. :)

This isn't just an "Ask Wenda" thread, though - I'm sure there's plenty of people with a lot of knowledge on the subject here.

Don't forget about all of the other OFFICIAL threads too.

Fire away! :)

2. Xencole

Xencole ...

Haha sweet, bit or a random thread to find, love it!! I'm a bit of a fitness freak myself haha. Good thinking Tim!

3. Enlightened By Darkness

Enlightened By Darkness Garth Algar's Love Child

Alright, i have put on about 15 kgs over the last year or so and i would like to lose it.

I have recently started eating salads and that sort of crap for lunchs, and cut out a lot of crap takeaway that i eat (As well and try and reduce the size of the meals i eat)

I can't run because i have a crook back and knees and i find it really hard to find time to exercise.

Any thoughts/advice?

4. FrostbittenGrimness

If you can't find time, you'll have to make it heh. Try a rowing machine, though it might be a bit hard on your back. Can you swim without going through too much pain?

5. Wenda

Wenda Lady LORD

I agree with FBG's first point, violently disagree with his second, and agree with his third :p Yes, you'll have to make time - it doesn't just appear :) But, if you've got back problems, stay away from rowing like the plague. It won't be kind to you. People without pre-existing back problems can get sore backs from rowing, so that isn't a good idea.

Swimming is a good idea, that'll be quite gentle on your back and knees compared to most other forms of cardio :) I can think of another good idea - cycling. Cycling is far kinder on your knees than jogging, and a good bike is the best friend you can have if you can't find time to exercise. If you've got a bike, instead of having to 'find time' to sit at a gym running in one spot like a mouse on a wheel, you can just use your bike whenever you have to go places :)

I (personally) revile dedicating time to endless cardio, but having a bike to get me around has kept me fit. The only problem you may have is if you've got lots of hills around your house, which might cause your knees some grief. If your routes are relatively flat, though, go out and get a bike. :)

With your lunches and stuff, you're obviously on the right track. Salads are better than ordinary take away, nobody needs to confirm that. My only piece of advice there is to make sure you don't get bored with them... salads every day can get very boring, and you'll find yourself buying chips on the side to make them easier to eat. Be imaginitive :)

6. Enlightened By Darkness

Enlightened By Darkness Garth Algar's Love Child

Cheers, yeah i have a rood bike and that i need to start riding again. Swimming is a good idea but chlorine flares up my asthma a bit hahaha (can someone say hypochondriac ?)

I really don't like salad at all so i'm trying to find way of making it easier to eat.

thanks for the advice!!

What are you thoughts on things like The tony ferguson diet and other such things. My mate had lost over 50 kgs on TTFD.

7. Rick

Rick Senior User

I know plenty of people who try to be healthy by just eating say, some carrot sticks, some fruit and a piece of celery for lunch. Wouldn't it be a lot more beneficial to eat some other foods alongside that? Like a sandwich or some meat, so that it is a more balanced diet?

8. Delinquent

Delinquent Member

i would think so, as long as youre not taking in more than you use etc

9. Xencole

Xencole ...

Hey, well yeah you can't just cut out carbs and especially not protein; ie meats/legumes. Otherwise you'll be lethargic and then well won't loose anything, except your will, and immune system.
    And about the dodgy knee, I've got one of the bastards myself and I find that the crosstrainer doesn't have a bad effect on it and it's a good cardio workout, might work for you.

10. Wenda

Wenda Lady LORD

I don't know what the Tony Ferguson diet is. *googles* Ah ok... looks like an Aussie guy's version of the Atkins diet.

I have two answers. In the short term: Yes, it looks good. I did a similar thing myself (although not quite that strict) to 'kick start' a weight loss program I was doing, some years ago. We briefly covered ketosis in my course and yeah, as far as I'm aware, diets like these ARE useful.

In the long term... yeeeeah, I'm not so sure. I'd be a bit wary of doing this kind of diet for more than, say, 4-6 weeks. IIRC, the process of ketosis also releases a fair amount of toxin into the body, which over long periods can put a strain on your kidneys and liver. I also think I remember ketosis giving you absolutely hideous bad breath, which is another side effect of the toxins.

I'd say it's a handy thing for starting a weight loss program, but once you've got yourself started, I wouldn't stay on any extreme low-carb diet. Your body just isn't meant to operate like that... there are other, more natural, low calorie diets that you can do. This is just my opinion though, I'm not a nutritionist.

Yeah, totally. You need more from your nutrition than you'll get from shit like that. Besides, if that was all I was eating, I'd get sooo bored. I'd either shoot myself or start eating chips again before the week was out :p

Ah yeah, cross trainers are great for your knees too if you have access to them :)

11. demented_broomstick

My mum was in a car crash and for the following years has been unable to excersise properly due to chronic pain. She also has diabetes and high cholesterol which became worse and worse after the accident due to the weight gain.

About a year ago, instead of taking the drugs that they give to people with diabetes (which had bad side effects on her) she lost her weight by going on an optifast diet.

Basically you get chocolate and berry bars, and a range of flavored milkshakes and soups. They have all the vitamins and minerals that you need along with protien and carbohydrates and whatever else you need - so you pretty much live off these things.

I'm not exactly sure, but from what I gather the idea is that you stop eating normal food completely (except for green salads every day for fibre) and just have three of these bars or milkshakes every day. You do this for about 13 weeks, then you start to gradualy implement normal food into your diet.

I'm pretty sure this approach is for people who really need to lose weight because they are pretty damn fat, or for people who aren't extremely overweight but have medical conditions that can be reduced by losing weight but they can't excersise (just to let you know her blood sugar started going down a few months after she started the diet, and is almost at the level where she is almost not a diabetic).

even though they are not really designed for this, I would say that personally I have some of these meal replacements when I am too tired, busy or lazy to make food myself instead of getting take away food. They actually taste pretty alright (anyone who has had a space food stick, they are like that).

I guess the thing with this diet is it isn't permanant, once you lose the weight you are supposed to reformat your diet to being something sensible. I lost 15kg from 1. Making the descision to go to a gym. 2. Not eating so much shit. I still eat crap food more than I should, and I drink too much but overall my diet is so much better than it used to be and I feel a LOT better. In fact I feel terrible not going to the gym. You just get so used to it.

It took me about a year or 2 to lose 15Kg (admittedly I wasn't trying that hard to lose a lot of weight) but just doing simple things can make a large difference.

12. outrageous

outrageous METAL MAIDEN

More of a body/injury question, but anyway.

In regards about knees and tendants, one night I was leaning on one leg (right) and slightly leaning forward then suddenly I thought something hit my knee just on the part where your reflexes are tested. I realised that nothing had actually hit it and this weird sort of tingling/vibrating feeling was going through my leg (above and below my knee) The feeling stayed for 10-20 minutes approx but it didn't hurt the next day. It surprised me because I thought that anything that would happen would happen during Netball as there is a lot of impact and stress on my joints, not when I was leaning on it.

A few weeks later the day after playing netball I found I could hardly walk on the leg that this whole knee thing happened with. I also had bruising on the tendants on the top of my foot and my knee was aching, so I'm pretty sure that this is related.
    This all happened around August time and now I've been going to the gym through the week for 2-3 months and whenever I do leg presses and other leg weights the same knee clicks around my knee cap (pretty sure) And whenever the weather turns slightly cold it starts to ache at night, which is really frustrating.

So does anyone have an idea about what this could be related to and why it suddenly happened? Would it be more related to tendants, cartilage or something that I don't know of yet..?

13. Wenda

Wenda Lady LORD

Three things...

1. If you haven't already, go see a physio - ASAP. :) I don't know what's wrong, but I do know that if it's still happening, it's not going to go away on its own.

2. Stop doing leg weights until after you've seen the physio, and if possible, stop playing netball. If you can't stop netball, at least strap it really well before you play. A physio will tell you what exercise is safe for you to do.

3. It's tendons, not tendants. ;)

To be honest, and keeping in mind that I'm no expert, it sounds like a small tendon tear. Knees are bastards of things, they're full of tendons and ligaments and god knows what else, and there are so many things that can go wrong with them it isn't funny. All I know is, if I had a client who told me what you just said, I'd chase them at knifepoint out of the gym until a physio told them it was safe to come back. :)

14. Rick

Rick Senior User

How long of a break should you take between sets?

15. outrageous

outrageous METAL MAIDEN

Thanks mate :)

After it first happened I was going to go to a physio but it didn't end up happening :p
    What puzzled me was why it never hurt when actually playing Netball..I don't think I would want it hurting during Netball, but anyway.

....Off to see the physio, the wonderful physio of...hmm :p

16. Wenda

Wenda Lady LORD

Depends what you're training for :) This table is taken directly from our course text:

For increased maximal strength and power - 3-6 minutes
    For increased endurance and stamina - 30 seconds - 2 minutes
    For increased hypertrophy and muscle growth - 30 seconds - 3 minutes

Lower rest times mean your muscles have less time to recover, leading to higher endurance benefits. It also means you cause more micro-damage in the muscle tissues, which leads to faster muscle growth :) If you allow your muscles to mostly recover between sets, so the 3-6 minute rest, you'll maximise the actual strength benefits you're getting.

17. Rick

Rick Senior User

So for optimal growth and stamina wait like 30 seconds?

18. Wenda

Wenda Lady LORD

That's down the extreme end of the spectrum, and you'll find you get optimal stamina, but not so much optimal growth. It's a trade off. If you wait less time, you'll find you have to drop your weights down. Lower weights + very low recovery time = stamina. If stamina and endurance is your main goal, that's the way to go. :)

However if you're looking at optimising growth, recovery time isn't the only consideration - you want to also lift some fairly decent weights, which will also help you stimulate growth. So, you'd be better off with your recovery time in the middle somewhere (about 1-1.5mins) so you can still lift some good-sized weights. That'll give you good endurance, optimal growth, and ok strength benefits on the side.

Oh - if you're pyramiding, don't leave a short rest in between your work & drop sets. You need a minimum of 3 minutes to recover for safety's sake :)

19. TheDenimRager

TheDenimRager Hats make things better.

I'm no expert, but I think a shitload of people who do things like this but have a total lack of focus on eating properly. They'll satisfy their ego and shut their conscience up by eating yoghurt for lunch at work, then go back to their desk and keep working, then 30 minutes later delve into the top drawer to get out the biscuits. And they'll have a box of the fundraising Mars Bars that were going around at work. And they'll have 4-5 coffees a day with just a little bit more than 2 scoops of sugar and full-cream milk. And they'll have a Red Bull on the way home because they feel tired, McDonalds for dinner (its healthy nowadays) and a decent-sized bowl of ice cream afterwards because, you know, you've got to treat yourself occasionally and you *did* eat a very healthy lunch?

At the end of the day, these people will sleep well remembering only that they ate very healthily because they didn't eat anything for lunch save yoghurt. Ask them about any of the other shit they ate and they'll say "Oh, yeah, and that..." They then despair over how hard they're trying to lose weight and how it just doesn't work.

20. Celestial-Todd

Celestial-Todd The Incredible Bulk

I suppose this can go in here... I'm trying to remember an old wives tale when it comes to dealing with the flu, is it

"Feed a fever, starve a cold"

or

"Starve a fever, feed a cold"