This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Fitness and Nutrition

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Rick

Rick Senior User

On a theoretical day i'd like to eat the equivalent of 2 sandwhiches and a banana at 7.30, 10.30, 1.30, 4.30, 7.30

2. Jet City Woman

Jet City Woman The Drumming Monkey

I'm doing Year 12 at the moment, and I'm finding everything really stressful.
    At the moment, I feel like I'm eating about 3 times what I usually eat and not getting barely any sleep at all. I usually don't sleep much due to insomnia but I am finding myself up at all hours just wasting time and I usually end up eating while I'm awake then getting pissed off with myself for eating shit.
    I've been doing some exercise, trying to get a bit in each day, and that hasn't been going too badly, been getting at least 45 minutes per day of either weight training or cardio but I'm finding with the lack of sleep everything is getting really hard.
    I'm on a bunch of vitamin tablets and herbal remedies to get me to sleep because my body is allergic to most medicine.
    I still feel like I am burning the candle at both ends and I keep getting pissed off at myself for being this way.
    I need advice on eating healthier, my main meals are very healthy, it's just the snacks that I have trouble with. I can eat about 4 servings of muesli in between meals as a 'snack'.
    I know I am 17 and am possibly still growing but this is ridiculous. I feel like I am going to turn into the size of a house at this rate.
    I don't drink anything apart from water (including black tea and coffee) and at the moment I'm finding I have to steer clear of dairy as it gives me horrible mucus problems(delightful, I know).
    I want something I can stick to and not something temporary. I did used to have a really good eating plan but now with winter and lack of sleep I am finding it very difficult to maintain.
    If anyone could give me some advice I would really appreciate it, I am going through a really stressful time at school at the moment and I would like to my health back on track so I deal with the stress the best I can without my body being affected.
    Thanks in advance :)

3. Rick

Rick Senior User

I find that i eat a lot of vegetables like celery etc and fruits like tomatoes and oranges or apples as snacks between meals. I think what you should be doing, if you already aren't is sticking to the eating a small to moderate meal every 3 hours, it should keep you fuller.. and if that doesn't work, like it doesn't usually for me, becuase i could eat a house every 3 hours if i wanted, just eat some healthy things in between.. i.e. unsalted nuts, fruits (not too many at night becuase it'll spike your blood sugar like there's no tomorrow) and veggies. Maybe you should try drinking Chamomile tea before bed? I find that i HAVE to get atleast 8 hours sleep becuase my body is using quite a bit of energy everyday. I'm in the HSC year as well, but i've never really been a stressor... and that's that way you have to try and be, becuase the more you stress the harder you are on yourself, and you'll struggle from the symptoms of a high stress lifestyle up until the test. (Appetite, motivation, fucking sleeping).

4. Celestial-Todd

Celestial-Todd The Incredible Bulk

For something different this morning I tried to use a crosstrainer at the end of my session. I can see why alot of people claim it's helped them lose a stack of weight, after 5 minutes it was killing me!

Keep in mind, this was after my usual bike then weights routine so it may have played a part.

I'm going to give it another shot at the START tomorrow. Who knows, it may end up replacing the bike in my routine because I don't feel like I'm getting alot out of it

5. Korensky

Korensky Go forth and DIE!

Are you eating because you're hungry or because you're bored? Also - sleep. It's important and something I screwed my body up with many years ago by having very poor sleeping habits (yay permanent nightshifts). Get at least 6 hours of good unbroken sleep each night and you'll feel like a new person after a couple of weeks.

Yep. Sleep will give you more energy during the day (this and eating good food).

It sounds like the year 12 stress is the root cause of all this and you're letting it do your head in. Take a step back, relax and stop worrying about it. Despite the bullshit your teachers feed you, year 12 is NOT the end of the world and the pinnacle of your life. Sure they love to pressure you into working harder and want to see their kids achieve the highest they can, but if you want something bad enough, there are other ways to get there.

As far as nutrition goes - it's probably an OK snack depending on the makeup of it and what you're adding to it, but it's a lot of carbs to be eating if you aren't burning them off, especially if they're large servings. What's in the healthy meals and are you eating breakfast?

Oh - and sleep.

6. Jet City Woman

I usually am eating because I feel hungry, it's just that I don't stop once the hunger is gone which is a bit of an issue.
    Ever since I was little I have never had good sleeping habits. I don't remember ever getting full nights sleep at all, I always wake up in the early hours of the morning for some reason, and I cannot sleep in past 8oclock no matter how late I get to sleep.
    Year 12 is definitely the cause of it. I've never struggled with grades or anything it is just the pressure I receive from the teachers because of the grades I get. Plus the pressure I put on myself for no reason. I plan to take a year off next year anyway, because I feel like after 13 years of school I need a break from it. I have a fair idea what I want to do after that and I know I don't need an ENTER score for that but yet I still find myself driving myself up the wall worrying about it.
    With my meals I try and get a decent serving of veggies at both lunch and dinner with a bit of carbs and some kind of protein too. So lunch for example might be a sandwich with ham and salad using grain bread and dinner would be steamed veggies with meat.
    Yes, I always eat breakfast, it's usually my biggest meal of the day. Usually cereal with fruit.

Thanks for the help :)

7. Nebulous

Nebulous Daniel

What do you do before bed? Homework? Something "enjoyable", but which involves some sort of mental stimulation (especially talknig to people on the net)?
    Try to relax for about half an hour before bed. Watch some really boring tv (give BB a go :p) or read a non school related book or something.
    I've had sleeping problems in the last few months, but getting a job finaly helped get rid of those problems.
    If you can't get to sleep, maybe experiment with not forcing yourself. If you're not asleep in say half an hour, and aren't that tired, get up and do something usefull. Then try again when you start feeling better. You'll probably get more tired doing somethnig than you would lying around.

8. Jet City Woman

I'm usually on the internet before bed, then I'll listen to some music or read a book or something. Sometimes I find I am so overtired I can't sleep.
    Other times I'm wide awake when I wake up in the middle of the night so I just get up and do stuff, like reply to emails etc on the internet.

9. TheDenimRager

TheDenimRager Hats make things better.

The internet is baaaaad :p

10. DeadCanDance

DeadCanDance In the Garden of Souls

BEST thing I found during the HSC that always made me feel better whenever things got too much was to listen to Queensryche's Best I Can! Worked EVERY SINGLE TIME!

Try it out, and best of luck with the HSC! :)

11. Nebulous

Nebulous Daniel

That it is. Try going without it for a few days before bed.

12. Jet City Woman

Went without it last night and slept pretty decently.
    I also tried sleeping in a room with no computers, TVs etc which helped.
    Thanks again guys

13. Nebulous

Nebulous Daniel

Awsome! I hope it holds up. Good luck with VCE too. If anything it will teach you how to deal with high stress situations and large work loads.

14. Jet City Woman

Thanks, I really have trouble dealing with stress. I can get myself worked up about things that aren't even worth worrying about.

Thanks DeadCanDance for the suggestion, been listening to a fair bit of Ryche lately. Best I Can is an awesome song too, lyrics are very relevant :)

15. Nebulous

Nebulous Daniel

In my current state of my yearly pre-summer flu I was given the advice today of trying to regularly take multi-vitamins. I've heard of afew people doing it, and the person who told me today said he also use to get sick alot, but for the last 6 months while being on MV's hasn't been sick once.
    I wouldn't mind trying that route, as I'm sick of being snotty and feverish as the seasons change. What I know will happen if I start taking multivitamins is that my parents will start going on about "just eating more fruit/ veg".

What are other peoples opinions and experiances with MV's? Good to help boost imunity? No substitute for the right amount of good foods?

I've tried to eat better lately, with more fresh veggies, though it's hard to get the right amount of the right veggies, especially when after giving you a headache over not eating properly, your parents serve you a slightly oily, salty, meaty stew with "veggies" (onion, potato, tomato).

16. Wenda

Wenda Lady LORD

IMO these statements are both right. Taking a multivitamin will never be as good as eating the right foods, this is true. But, if you just plain hate vegetables, or live in a house where the person who does the cooking has no fuckin' clue about nutrition, a multi is definitely better than nothing. :)

17. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

I have never had a problem sleeping. When I was little I'd force myself to sleep to avoid going to Church on Sundays. Now I can sleep at will. Not only that, but I can get a full nights sleep and STILL sleep at will. Computers will definitely NOT help you sleep, nor will thinking about things that you have to do, problems coming up. Books work pretty well for me- just spend 5-10 minutes reading then lie down and think about the book. Once you hit upon something that works, try and remember what you were thinking about and use it again.

I take MVs daily- as well as (yuck) fish oil to balance out my cholesterol. Unfortunately I can't say if it is good or bad. One of the things that is said about MVs is that they are not as good because the other stuff that goes along with fresh food helps you metabolise the vitamins and minerals better. One thing that is said FOR MVs is that Australian soils are nutrient poor- combine that with all the stuff grown in hydroponics these days and fresh food doesn't have the goodness that it used to when our grandfathers ate it. Some say that fresh is better than frozen or canned food. Others say the nutritional value of food is broken down more rapidly in fresh than frozen or canned foods. The main problem with canned foods being all the additives (salt, fat etc.)

So I'm not helping you much! As someone who sleeps like a log and gets a cold about once every 5 years perhaps you're better to disregard my post!! I guess the best response is- give MVs a try and if it seems to work then keep at it. The improvement may even be a psychological rather than physiological one.

18. Nebulous

Nebulous Daniel

It's not like I live off veggies and fruit, but if I start taking vitamins, is there a certain food i should try to avoid so as not to get oo much of anything?

I think i will give the vitamins a go, especially while I'm sick. Thanks for the replies.

19. pipsqeek

pipsqeek Musical Delinquent

I think in general, too much of anything is bad. Just vary what you eat. Do what I do and have a more seasonal diet. Strawberries in Winter/Spring. Watermellon in Summer. Etc. I shop at a farmers market, so I can only buy what grows in the climate I live in.

I think my biggest realisation of late is not so much having to force oneself to eat healthy food or cut out salt, etc. I think it's got a lot more to do with the quality of the food you get. For example. I could buy bananas from Wollworths, that have been sprayed with chemicals (gassed) to ripen them because they were picked way too early, or out of season entirely. Or I can buy them in season, picked ripe off the tree and no chemicals were used to accelerate the process.

I could buy meat from Coles or I can get it from the butcher. Regardless if it came off the same cow, the butcher's meat is aged properly, it has good marbling and is generally a better cut.

You could almost get away with eating the same foods you eat now, just maybe buying the better quality items. Not saying you don't. But if you're not, it could be a good start to a step in the right direction.

All I do to convince people how bad produce is at the supermarket is give them a tomato to smell. People have forgotten what a proper, ripe picked tomato smells and tastes like.

pipsqeek

20. Rick

Rick Senior User

This one is directly aimed at Wenda.

Wenda, i haven't been to the GYM for quite a while due to lack of funds. After a bunch of sickness and injuries i've started training again. I had shin splints (which you knew about from previous), so i've been doing an hr of brisk walking with a bit of running to strengthen them back up. ATM i'm down to 72 Kilos; with atleast 6 kilos of fat to lose to be in prime condition. This is not good, becuase i need to be 75 kilos and at 8-6% body fat. What sort of plan would you recommend to lose weight and gain a bit of muscle mass? Continue the walking? i've been doing it daily, and it seems to be showing some results. ATM i've started a plan that consists of: Mon - Walking in morn, Boxing at night. Tue - Walking in morn, Weights at night. Wed - Walking in morn Boxing at night. Thur - Walking in morn, Weights at night. Fri - Walking. Sat - Rest. Sun - Weights at night.