This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Fitness and Nutrition

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Rick

Rick Senior User

Something i'll ad to that previous post: Be careful when using weights and such, especially if you are using them running and you are only new to it (though, running with weights would be fucked as it is.), becuase they can put excess strain on body parts i.e. legs if they are heavy enough and cause damage if your body is not used to it.

But usually the idea is that they are only designed for power walking (i.e. walking fast, with your arms moving heavily), because they add resistance to your arm movement and cause a heavier cardio burn.

2. Winmar

Winmar Pillock of society

Ah yep I getcha. I'll stick to my dumbells then!

3. Wenda

Wenda Lady LORD

So... I've just started taking BSN NO-Xplode for training, on the advice of a trainer I'm working with now - she knows a shitload more than I do about supplements, so we're experimenting with a few things to see what kind of results I get. This one is a creatine and nitric oxide supp designed to give a huge energy boost just prior to training and I've never taken this sort of thing before, so I thought it'd be interesting to document here how I go with it (and the other supps I'm doing). I'm just taking my first one now - you take it 30 minutes before working out, on an empty stomach.

*eyeballs it suspiciously*

It dissolves funny and looks like fizzy green slime. It tastes ok at least. Shortly I am due for shoulders & hamstrings and then a boxing session, so I wonder if I will feel different. More soon.

4. Rick

Rick Senior User

I've finally gotten my arse into gear and am seeing a dietician now (finally) to get some actual insight into what i should be eating. She's a bit of a hotty, too. :)

5. Wenda

Wenda Lady LORD

Well it didn't exactly turn me into a frothing green mini-hulk (I guess if it did, it'd probably be illegal or some shit). It's hard to know if it affected me - I was able to put up all my weights, but it might have just been time to do that anyway. I'm so fatigued that my hands are shaking (making it really fucking hard to type, agh) but still somehow feel like I could go another session, if that makes any sense. Overall the training felt really good - but not much different to other 'really good' training days. I suppose the real test will come on a day when I am feeling like complete and utter shit before the session. If it can perk me up on a bad day, the results might be more obvious.

6. Jet City Woman

Jet City Woman The Drumming Monkey

Alright, I'm fed up with looking trying to Google things, I wonder if anyone can help me.

I want to begin a proper weight training program, but I don't really know where to begin. I used to do 4 sets which consisted of 50 reps of each push-ups, sit-ups and squats for three days, spaced 48 hours apart. But I'm wondering whether that was enough. I basically stopped when I got ill, but now that it's all starting to be resolved I want to really get back into it again.
    So does anyone know a good place to look on the internet (I really don't want to hire a trainer), or can anyone advise me on starting a weight training program?

7. Rick

Rick Senior User

There are two seperate things you need to address in your post first... When you say 'weight training' do you mean a long the line of the calisthenics (i.e. body training, or gravity training or whatever you want to call it) which is basically pushups and sit-ups and all those variations, or did you mean that you plan on going to a gym and lifting weights several days a week? Becuase you can actually do just as much with 'non-gym' equipment as you can with it, but the sheer variety of it (i have a 300 page A4 book on it) makes it pretty hard to pick up. But if you are planning on joining a gym, it is usually safer becuase there are people who (hopefully) will tell you if you are doing somehting wrong.

8. Jet City Woman

I was thinking perhaps a combination of both. Lifting my own bodyweight (ie: what I was already doing) and perhaps lifting weights as well. I don't really know too much about the whole thing so I was hoping someone might be able to tell me what's the best way to go about it. I don't really have many weights so I would prefer to do the majority of exercises using my own body weight if that's possible. I just didn't think three simple things would be totally effective in the whole scheme of things. Basically I'm just wondering if what I was doing was beneficial at all, and if so what can I add to it so I can make it even more effective.

9. Rick

Rick Senior User

I guess it comes down to what you are trying to achieve. If you want to get a bit of tone and burn some calories, then calisthenics are pretty useful. But then it comes down to what exactly you are trying to achieve by doing it. If you want to get stronger and build maximal strength, then things like one arm (or one arm assisted pushups) are ideal, as well as pull-ups etc. By the sounds of things, you are interested in hitting all bases. You could make a program for this pretty easily.. What sort of days are you thinking of doing it, how much time do you have, what resources do you have? Do you have access to a pull up bar?

10. Jet City Woman

I basically am doing this just for tone and strength. I don't have a pull-up bar, and planned to do this all from home to save gym fees. I'd be doing this three days a week, with a day in between to recover, and probably only for 30 minutes each session.

11. Rick

Rick Senior User

If you wanted to approach 3 sides of strength maximal, endurance and speed and splice them into quick full body work out on each day, or focus on push exercises on one day and pull on the other and full body in between... is there anything you can use to do pull-ups? maybe a rope? or a towel you can wrap over something, or some sort of pole somewhere?

12. Jet City Woman

Nothing that I can think of at the moment. Is it best to focus on different areas on different days or can I just do the same full body workout each day? Do you have links to anywhere I can read up about this to further my knowledge, as I seem to be asking you a hell of a lot of questions.

13. Wenda

Wenda Lady LORD

Nope, this is a bad idea. After a resistance workout, you need to rest the body parts worked for at least one day before doing them again. That's why people do split programs - do one set of body parts on day one, then the opposing body parts on day two, rinse and repeat.

There are a few things I'd say about what you're doing now. One of the things my fitness tutors used to tell me was, "If you can do 50 situps, you're doing the wrong kind of situp". ;) Considering that you're doing 200 reps of each exercise, you're doing nothing to challenge any of those muscles any more. If you keep doing this you might as well be running on the spot - you will not develop any more muscle, lose any weight, or develop your fitness any more from doing these things. :) What you need is to find more challenging versions of your exercises so you can drop your reps and do something useful with them.

The other thing is, the exercises you are doing are in no way balanced. Doing push ups is working your chest and triceps, but what are you doing to work your back and biceps? Doing squats is working glutes and quads, but what are you doing to work your hamstrings and calves? Even sit ups are pretty rubbish - they're working your upper abs (six pack), but not your more important deep abs (transversus abdominis). Too much chest work and too little back work can give you slumped shoulders, and imbalanced leg and abdominal muscles can give you lower back pain and throw out your hip posture. T'ain't good. :)

Rick has given you some good advice, and you can do some really decent resistance workouts with non-gym equipment, but it's hard to teach this stuff over the internet. You really need someone to look at your technique because everything does things in different ways. In the short term, is hiring a PT to come to your house an option? Getting a ten session package from an indie PT will be much cheaper than a gym membership, and you can use the sessions to learn as much from them as you can - about technique, about creative ways to use ordinary things to work out with, and so on (a well-stocked children's playground is a wonderful thing for the non-gym exerciser).

14. Rick

Rick Senior User

Okay. I gave a brilliant book i read about body training - 'Never Gymless' by Ross Enemait... Who is an American ex-amatuer-boxer turned trainer, who is in seriously good shape.

(If you don't believe me, haha - http://www.straighttothebar.com/images/posts/060405_rossenamait.jpg)

Anyways, i'll list some programs that the beginner can do without a gym. If you are interested in them, i'll explain the terms and exercises so that you have an idea of what some of the less known ones mean. Okay.

A good type of simple exercise that you can do, to really work your muscle endurance is known as ICT - Intergrated Circuit Training... now this may be beyond you at the moment, but it's a real test of muscle fitness when you're up for it. Basically, you pick 4 exercises, simple calisthenic ones (i.e. pushups) or you could pick 2 or 3 in the early stages. And you do them in turn i.e.

Pushups x 60 seconds
    Situps x 60 seconds
    Squats x 60 seconds
    Chin-ups x 60 seconds

Without any sort of rest, and then go to round 2 which is the exact same exercises in the exact same order, except 45 seconds each, then 30, then 15 at which point you have finished. Now, i know it sounds pretty simple, and if you only did 4 it'd only take you 10 minutes. But i can guarantee you it'll be one of the hardest things you attempt.

A simple 'beginner' set could be Skipping rope, pushups, squats and chin-ups. Now this 10 minutes routine is great to burn those muscles. If you are interested in ICT i can let you know a few, becuase they vary a lot, from time to sets and types of exercises etc.

After ICT difficulty, comes a potentially harder thing you could do. EIT, Enhanced Interval Training. now this is like ICT, but different. Heres an idea of one:

12 Burpees
    24 Pushups
    36 Body Squats
    400 metre run

Complete 4x. Now obviously this is a very hard one to do, and even the fittest people would struggle with it, but there are easier ones. Basically it combines body weight routines with running to really burn for endurance. Very well suited for football training, and anyone looking for some great fitness challenges.

Next comes what you're probably more interested in, workouts just involving routines and body weight exercises.

This guys 'beginner' plans are pretty narly... haha. But a basic beginner plan for isolation strength workouts (i.e. exercises than focus on muscles on different days) could be

Mon - Lower body strength
    Tue - Upper body strength
    Wed - Conditioning (IET)
    Thu - same as Mon
    Fri - same as Tue
    Sat - same as wed
    SUn - rest

Now obviously that is insane for most 'beginners' to attempt, depending on time and skill, and recovery rates etc. But if you are really intent on not going to the gym etc, then it may be easy to try and do a simple program.

15. Jet City Woman

This sounds good. Is this all contained in that book, if so I'd consider buying it to save you writing it all out. Does it explain all the exercises in detail?
    Thanks so much for your help, Rick.

16. Rick

Rick Senior User

Haha.. that's okay. Yeh, the book is basically an encyclopedia of ways to exercise, get in shape, keep fit and build strength, muscle, speed etc all in one. He maps out every exercise with demonstrations and pictures. So it is pretty helpful.

http://www.rosstraining.com/nevergymless.html

250 A4 pages, it's about 30$ Au (25 American) minus shipping i believe.

17. Winmar

I'm looking at getting some soccer boots. Can anyone recommend any? Has anyone tried Asics boots?

18. TheDenimRager

TheDenimRager Hats make things better.

Skipping as exercise - any tips? Other than to get drunk and walk around screaming "ADRIAAAAAN" a lot.

19. Jet City Woman

I haven't tried Asics boots. I presume because their trainers are good that their soccer boots would be too. I have David Beckham signature shoes *hides*

20. Winmar

Yeah that's what I figure as well. They look pretty comfortable.

Hehe I'm sure your shoes must be good ones!