This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Fitness and Nutrition

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Korensky

Korensky Go forth and DIE!

If you're doing it on concrete make sure you have really good shoes or your feet are going to hurt a lot. If you're doing it in bare feet, a soft surface like foam rubber is really good. It's a great exercise for teaching you to be light on your feet which is why boxers and kickboxers do a LOT of it :)

2. Rick

Rick Senior User

I wouldn't recommend skipping barefeet for anyone who doesn't know how to do it really well though, becuase the pain that you can inflict on yourself (namely your toes) can be pretty excruciating. Also, i'd suggest being careful on concrete or unneven surfaces, becuase that's how i got shin splints a while back, and from there it's like 1 step forward 5 steps back progress wise. For the purpose of progression, i started learning to jump both feet (the typical way) and eventually jumping less higher and higher, then moving on to that jog skipping style, where you skip one foot at a time which is what most boxers will stick to, then when your getting better at that, you can move forwards and backwards while your doing it, then eventually throw in some tricks like swapping hands and double skipping etc. The good thing about skipping is that something like 15 minutes of it equates to a 30min jog/run. It's a pretty good (the best:))full body type workout.

3. Korensky

Agreed on that point - my toes hurt like hell when I was first learning due to being constantly hit by the rope. It makes you think harder about it though :)

Hell yeah! You can get heavier ropes as well which will really make you feel it in your arms.

4. Rick

Rick Senior User

The only program with skipping is that you can be easily discouraged. Unlike jogging which is pretty easy to master (obviously), skipping takes a LOT of patience and a LOT of attempts. Coupled with the fact that unlike jogging you don't actually have to bother or find your way back, it's VERY easy to fall out from it. Stick in there though. On a side note, John C Mcginly (AKA Dr Cox in Scrubs) who is one of the fittest blokes going around hollywood, is a pretty damn good skipper (which is obvious froma few episodes), and i'd hazard a guess, probably an amatuer boxer.

5. Winmar

Winmar Pillock of society

I was talking to a dude at a party the other night, and he was saying how he used to have massive muscles until he did his back and had to stop doing weights. He reckoned it happened because he didn't have enough core strength.

I'm pretty sure my core strength is a tad shitty also, and my posture isn't the greatest. What exercises can I do to build it up?

6. Korensky

Normally you'll build up sufficient core strength with traditional compound weight exercises. When you have a bar on your shoulders your abdominal walls are working to keep you upright and also bearing the extra load on your body. I'd say bad form would be more responsible for "doing his back" than a lack of core strength. If you are lifting heavy and jerking the bar around, you're going to hurt yourself. If you want to supplement your core exercises, anything involving balancing on one of those damn swiss balls or yoga wil help.

7. Winmar

Ah ok, cool. I've got a swiss ball; I guess I should start using it! Anything that builds up abdominal strength, while avoiding sit-ups, is fine by me.

8. TheDenimRager

TheDenimRager Hats make things better.

9. Winmar

Wow, this thread's been inactive for two months. I suppose Karyn hasn't been here for a while. :)

Hmmm how about that exercise where you lie on your back an stretch one leg across your body, while keeping your back straight? Or lie on your front, then push your body up with your arms, but keep your midriff touching the ground.

10. Rick

Rick Senior User

I've heard of the opposite of that, where people get sore backs becuase of an inbalance of muscles, and never focusing on developing their back muscles which can help align the spine.

Regarding back pain, that's hard to diagnose, becuase it can be related to things like shoes, surfaces etc, all the way to running style / speed etc. I reckon you'd do yourself some good by buying one of those "jogging / running" books or borrowing one from a library. Generally they explain how to start jogging, where to go from there, form, stretching, injuries, shoes. Speaking of which, i'm seeing a phsyio today about a problem related to jogging / walking today. Apparently hes pro at diagnosing problems, and i'm under the impression that one of my feet my by slightly longer, which is putting excess strain on my hip.

In similar fashion though, i'm at the point where if i jog everything starts hurting.. :lol: So i haven't done it for a while, and thats why im seeing this guy.

My advice to you Pete: Toughen up, no pain no gain. Keep jogging until your spine falls out.... harden up. :lol: JK.

11. TheDenimRager

Hah thanks Rick! Cheers for the tips fellers...one more question just about skipping is - can I do it without bothering to buy a rope from Rebel, and just using an old bit of rope?

Also, I'm still being troubled with my back when I'm jogging. Cheers for the tip Rob, if anyone has any more warmup exercises for back muscles I'm still keen to hear them!

OHMYGOD twisting stomach crunches are AWESOME.

12. metal evilution

metal evilution Davestorm

Fitness and nutrition eh.
    I think i score a big fat 0/2 on that.

13. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Happy Little Boozer

You're not the only one haha

14. Spikes Red

Spikes Red Member

Swiss ball/gymballs, are brilliant if you have back or core muscle issues.
    I started with a gymball/pilates class, now, I only ever use a gymball at the puter. :)
    There are so many different exercises you can do with them. You can pretty much work every muscle.

Bouncing to British Steel as I type.........bwahahaha........"United, United, United we stand.........." :lol::lol:

But I still love getting to the gym at least 3 or 4 days a week. ;)

Nutrition? I skip meals, not good, then wonder why I'm feeling a bit flat. :rolleyes:

15. pipsqeek

pipsqeek Musical Delinquent

Worse still, skipping meals slows the metabolic rate down and the next bit of food you eat gets stored as fat because your body accepts that this might be the last meal for a long time.

I've been eating the right food, more of it, more often during my waking hours and I have lost about 17kg since March, with little or no exercise apart from my usual cycling and rock climbing.

16. Zen

Zen Vows In Ashes...

Nice one Pip. I'm down about 5-7KG (Depending on the day and time of week) since I started eating better and actually exercising, which I'm really happy with. My goal is 85KG though, and I have no idea how I'm going to get there. I was 97~ before I started, now I'm around 92 most of the time and I seem to have stopped losing weight, at least as rapidly. Any tips on how to push past? I'm thinking of getting a gym membership and doing circuit weights, which our rep at work (Who just happens to be a bodybuilder) says is the best way to get results. I think a bit of the problem is that I don't know what to eat at what time. I'll usually have 2 pieces of toast for breakfast, either fish or chicken and rice for lunch and whatever I can find in the fridge for dinner (Steak + salad or leftover stirfry mainly). Eating smaller meals but more of them isn't really convenient for me, which probably makes it a bit harder.

As for exercise, I usually go to the pool and swim 20-30 laps (1-1.5KM) after work (Between lunch and dinner) and maybe do some weights at some point after dinner.

17. cro4eva

cro4eva Member

Nice work dude!

I have joined the gym been doing it for 2 months or so, lost 2 kilos in the first two weeks 100 down to 98. Then stopped losing weight and have gone back up to 100. :erk: I think it may be down to eating to much still, the stomach has become flater though and the arms are a lot bigger. So I am not sure if I am losing fat and putting on muscle weight or putting both on.

18. pipsqeek

pipsqeek Musical Delinquent

I'll tell you what I've done.

I've basically taken out (tried my best to) potatoes, rice and pasta from dinner.

I have it at lunch if I feel like it. So, dinner consists of things like steak with greens and salad, missing out on the chips and gravy. Same with fish. And I try to have it grilled, which I like but when you can't have it fried that's what you crave, of course :(

I eat most of my carbs in the morning. Things like cereal, fruit, grilled cheese and ham toasties, etc.

Morning tea is an apple with a tub of yogurt and maybe a couple of slices of toast or something with peanut butter.

Lunch time is a Vietnamese chicken roll and a glass of protein shake. Fish and chips with a salad and only eat half the chips. Burgers are fine, naturally eating maccas every day will kill you.

Afternoon tea is where the carbs start to really roll off before dinner where you have almost no carbs. You can have a punnet of strawberries, yogurt, etc. Strawberries have no carbs, protein or fat in them.

Fats are good for you. Not talking about the one hanging off the steak. Essential fats like in peanuts, so maybe grab a handful to top up after lunch.

For dinner, you can have anything minus the rice, potato and pizza/pasta.

I try to stick to it as much as I can. Some days are hard not because of temptation, but because you're out and about and you almost end up with very little choice but to eat what's there.

But one off's like this are okay.

The way I have started to see it is this.

The food you eat, the type and at the time of day will help with weight loss.

The exercise is there for a couple of reasons. Muscle gain, which increases the size of your engine. Larger engines need more fuel, so they burn more fuel. Then there is the obligatory fitness levels where it's less of an effort to do certain things like walk up stairs or go for a run.

pips

19. cro4eva

cro4eva Member

If I was to cut out potatoes out of my diet, I wouldn't eat any more. That is pretty much all it consists off.

20. TheDenimRager

Mwuhahahahhhhh I'm going for a run NOW shit yes.

How's everyone going with the fitness regimes?