This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Fitness and Nutrition

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Rick

Rick Senior User

Common mistake about fruits. Sugar IS a carbohydrate. That's why you can't look at 'carbs' so simply; and why people get so fat off fruit juice. There are many types of carbs. Everything from slow releasing, to ultra fast metabolising. I.e. Rice is actually a pretty good dinner food, because it metabolises so quickly, as opposed to pasta, which stores for a much slower release. I'm sure you've noticed you'll be out eating chinese or thai and be eating a lot, but you seem to constantly have room? Then there is the quality of the carbs, e.g. brown vs white. White bread contains a lot of sugar and empty carbs and therefore isn't as nutritious as brown, which also has more fiber. It's very simplistic to define foods as 'fat, carbs & protein'. In regards to potatoes, they aren't a high carb food (15g of starch per 100g compared to 50+ per 100 for pasta). They are mostly watery starch (which is the real carb) with medium carb amounts, so they are actually a pretty good dinner food becuase of how much water (and therefore water weight "pseudo space" they assume in the stomach), not to mention the veggie goodness.

You have the right idea with reducing carbs at dinnertime, obviously avoiding the possibility of storage. Storage isn't always a bad thing however. If you plan to exercise in the morning, pasta is a great meal to have in the evening, just ask any cyclist. Don't forget though, that if you are doing weights to improve muscle mass etc, your metabolism doesn't just "shut off" after bedtime. If you've been pumping the iron that day, your body will be working pretty hard still, even while you're asleep.

I'm still a massive advocate of the balanced meal idea. It's designed to hit the body in 3 or more meals a day exactly where it needs it. I find that a lot of people opt for meal size alteration. They will have the biggest 'balanced' meal at breakfest (therefore telling the metabolism to get the fuck started, and expect this sort of meal again soon), then drop the meal size slightly leaving the metabolism not quite full, but expecting to be replenished, then making dinner the smallest meal of the night, while all the time the metabolism has been burning energy like a mother, and now it's wondering where it's fill is? And therefore using the little resources it has left to burn off during the night to start again. I haven't actually found that what or how much i eat affects my weight... it seems to just reflect more in my moods and energy levels.

This idea makes more sense to me than food group exclusion.

To be honest though, i am not shutting down your plan in the slightest. One of the reasons being a dietician is so hard for... well dieticians is because it is ALL trial and error until they can work out how your body will react to food groups etc and what will do what. An obvious example being that if you are Irish in origin, you could probably eat potatoes until the cows came home (and drink whisky), whereas this same diet might make an Indian fat, whereas their diet consists of high amounts of coconut milk etc (which is pure saturated fat), but this doesn't make them fat. Clearly ancestral bodies evolve to metabolise the particular available foods from the various regions, whether they be complex fats or simple sugars, and this still trickles down through us today. So if it works for you, then it works for you. It's very hard to recommend exactly what guidelines to follow.

2. TheDenimRager

TheDenimRager Hats make things better.

Yer a wise man when it comes to this shit Rick.

3. Zen

Zen Vows In Ashes...

I started going to the gym again for the first time in 2 years, fuck am I sore. But it's a good kind of sore. I'm amazed at how decent protein shakes and bars actually taste, I expected cardboard crossed with puke.

4. Crabby

Crabby Member

I've always been a pretty slim guy, but in the last year and a half (since I started working full-time basically) I've become rather lazy and have put on a pretty decent chunk of weight. So I've spent the past six weeks or so getting back into running (and eating better too) and have lost 10kg in that time, so pretty pleased about that. I think it's about finding an activity that works for you- I'm not a gym person, so doing laps of the oval near my house (running on the road is hell on your ankles and the like) has been what's working for me.

5. Zen

Zen Vows In Ashes...

Yeah, pretty much. I really enjoy swimming (Even though I haven't done it for too long, need to start again) and lifting weights. Swimming is the only cardio I actually enjoy doing, I fucking hate rowing machines, bikes, running and everything else in between. I've started eating properly too, lots of vegetables and lean meat Vs take-away every other day and meals with low/no veges.

6. TheDenimRager

Go Crabby. 10kg in that time is awesome. I hate gyms too, you shouldn't need to pay $1000 a year for something that should be innate.

7. Rick

Rick Senior User

Crabby, if you like running, can't be fucked doing too much gym stuff, and you have an oval, there's some pretty cool stuff you can do, like conditioning exercises.

I.e.
    1. Sprint 200m
    2. Bear walk 100m
    3. Crab walk 100m
    4. Sprint 100m
    5. Pushups x 1 minute
    6. Squats x 1 minute

Repeat x 5 times.

Quick and simple, i can gaurantee you that 1 set of that would murder most people; also, most of those exercises are interchangeable with each other, i.e. if you didn't want to do crab walks, you could do star jumps etc.

Another one:

1. Run 200m
    2. Pick up weights and fast walk back, drop weights and repeat (or pushups etc at intervals.)

It's very army, but what works, works.

8. Ator

Ator big damn hero

anyone looking for some intense training should check out crossfit
    http://www.crossfit.com/
    just started this stuff, some of the most brutal workouts you will ever suffer
    you need to know olympic lifts for a bunch of it, so depending on you experience you may need to learn those first/ as you go.
    most of the workouts can be scaled, so your level of strength doesn't matter
    It's also almost necessary to do this with others so they can scream at you(otherwise, most normal people will relax the intensity during the course of the workout)
    heres a vid of one of their "WODs", "Fight Gone bad"
    [ame]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1471175174570526588[/ame]
    note: do a good dynamic warmup before any of these workouts

9. pipsqeek

pipsqeek Musical Delinquent

I have to say, if you want brutal exercise? Get a rowing machine. It's the one thing I enjoy the most of out all the workouts, and it's the one thing that absolutely destroys me. My record so far is 387 metres in 60 seconds. But after that I can't move for 5 minutes and my heart feels as if it's going to pop out of my chest. While this isn't really the best way to work out, it's nice to push yourself once a week just to break a goal, feel good about yourself and be on top of the leader board at the gym (if you go to one that has such a board).

I've actually stopped going to the gym with the trainer now, I'm back to working out on my own and my diet has suffered slightly. But I'm going to get back into it again once the workload dies down a bit (soon).

pips

10. Bucko

Bucko Member

or you die by the sounds of it " my heart feels as if it's going to pop out of my chest"

11. Zen

Zen Vows In Ashes...

I used to use the rowing machine when I was doing cardio at the gym a few years ago, god I hate that machine. I think I used to have to do either 1km or 1.5km in under 5 minutes, it made me want to die. After 2 weeks of going to the gym every other day and 3 weeks of healthy eating, I'm starting to see results and it's awesome. I love being able to shift weights or complete sets that I couldn't a session or two before, it's its own reward really.

12. Pyro

Pyro The guy from the internet

Man, I haven't used a rowing machine in ages. They're great though, intense cardio plus a good muscular workout.

Which Gym are you at Zen?

13. Zen

Zen Vows In Ashes...

Going to Flex-It now, since it's like 2KM from my house. My co-worker Roh's also been going there for like 20 years and his wife's a personal trainer there, so it all works out well. Beats the shit out of Xceler8. Probably going to change up my program sometime in the next week or two into a split for each body section, which I'm really looking forward to.

14. Pyro

Pyro The guy from the internet

Ah cool. Next time I see you, I think I'm in for a shock. I saw photos from Bateman's Bay recently and you appeared to be shrinking.

A proper split ought to produce much better results too. More time for recovery, and it'll keep things interesting.

15. Awake_In_Animosity

Awake_In_Animosity Fearing a Blank Planet

A secret to weightloss is get married.

I have dropped about 15kg since leaving Sydney now, stopping drinking really has helped too.

16. pipsqeek

When I say my heart feels like it's going to pop out of my chest, it's a figure of speech to illustrate that it gave me a bloody good workout. I didn't think you'd take it that literally lol.

I'm thinking I might save up for a rowing machine, or a kayak. Though I'm not close to water, so the machine might get more use.

pips

17. TheDenimRager

If I'm looking at starting training at a (proper) boxing gym soon, and I want to be fit enough to not be completely raeped by the experience, what would people recommend in a fitness regime? Any tips/hints/etc?

18. Rick

Rick Senior User

Basically get your head (and body) around the idea of doing everything in 3.30-4 minute workouts, constantly, and then minute breaks. You are probably wondering, why not 3 minutes? Well that's pretty simple, because you want to be able to fight harder, and for longer than the guys training for the match times. Everything in the actual gym will probably be 3 minutes, but just think about that extra effort, it pays massive dividends, if you consider the idea of having more energy than the other bloke, and being able to punch on for 4 full minutes rather than 3, because the winning blows are often done when the other guy is tired as fuck at the end of the round. Get the basics of jogging down, if you aren't fit now, go walk, then ad running into it, until you can progress to that stage. Learn to skip. Put a stop watch on for 3-4 minutes and practise the concept. With practise will come skill, don't worry if you can't double skip or jog skip for a while. Eat and drink right. Boxing is one of the toughest things you can do, and it drains the fuck out of you, come prepared. Get a basic number of pushups and abdominal strength in to you, and pull-ups also. Don't worry about learning any punching 'moves' yet, because if you learn these wrong it's hard to un-do. Just go the class, and it will probably be a gradual step up in intensity, and eventually, you'll want to go 3-5 times a week if you decide to get to competition level.

19. pipsqeek

One of the biggest areas of working out is that most people only work out for a total of 1 hour.

Apparently the bet results are gained from those that workout for an hour and a half to two hours. Naturally, so you can make it, the exercise is not as hard as the one hour session, but the rewards are far greater due to your body really kicking into high gear and belting out the energy to keep going.

20. Rick

Rick Senior User

It depends what you are doing though. An exercise that only works cardio might raise the metabolism whilst you are doing it, but fall again once you have finished, creating more of a 'spike' in your routine; whereas doing weights for the same amount of time has an affect on your metabolism that can burn up to several days later, putting it in overdrive. I've found it effective to have a weights session on a friday afternoon, (being that i don't do anything on the weekend except drink and eat), because it burns all weekend. The best workouts are the ones that are part of the lifestyle, and is why the hard tradies are usually pretty fit, because they are working for half the day, which is how we were built.

So, effectively 2 hours could be useless for too much bodies but great for others. I personally think that 1-1.5hr of mixed weights and cardio is plenty for results for most people, but if you really wanted to get the metabolism burning all day, maybe 2 or 3 sessions a day, short and sweet, with maybe weights in the morning to really kick start the metabolism and then a fat burning exercise at night to help get rid of unwanted energy stores.

I've found personally that endurance and weight loss aren't necessarily the same thing, and that really, a lot of people are different and need different approaches. Unfortunately, most people can't spare 2 hours a day to exercise though.