This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

FMR Really Nice Levelling Amp?

Discussion in 'Backline' started by Chainsaw Calligraphy, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Chainsaw Calligraphy

Chainsaw Calligraphy Connoisseur of Sound

Has anyone used one of these before? I've been looking to buy my first hardware compressor and it has come down to a choice between this and the Really Nice Compressor.

There seems to be a lot of love for the RNC on here but as far as I can tell it's very clean sounding. I like the idea of the RNLA colouring the sound a bit but it's been hard to find info on how suitable it is for metal.

I'm planning to use it for vox, bass and drum busses. Possibly acoustic guitars as well. So, do you guys think it would work well for this or should I stick with the RNC?

2. vespiz

vespiz Mixing!

Have one in the rack, but haven't used it in ages.. :(

I remember liking it in drum buss and/or parallel comp when trying it out.

3. if6was9

if6was9 Ireland

Haven't used that one but I use my RNC all the time. I think it sounds good on vocals, bass and I have used it on drum bus but not for metal. It doesn't dirty things up but you can hear it working alright when you're using it

4. Trevoire520

Trevoire520 Member

Interested in this aswell, would be good to hear some info on the PBC6A aswell.

5. botus99

botus99 Microphone Assassin

I have a couple RNC's and they DO NOT work best with bass. The can distort the low frequencies in an unpleasant way (sometimes it works, but I just avoid sending tracks with lots of low end energy through them).

I've heard that the RNLA does much better in that regard. I really like my RNC's for... anything where transparent compression is desired (vox, overheads, clean/acoustic guitar, etc) but I'm a sucker for "colored" sounds. If I were you, I'd grab the RNLA

6. Coerti0n

Coerti0n Member

I have a RNLA and a pair of PBC-6a's. RNLA is really nice on stereo sources. The pbc's are awesome, my go to comp when tracking, so good I bought a 2nd one lol

7. Chainsaw Calligraphy

Chainsaw Calligraphy Connoisseur of Sound

Thanks for the advice guys, I think I'll go with the RNLA. For what they cost I guess it wouldn't be an issue to pick up the RNC some time in the future as well.

8. ~BURNY~

~BURNY~ Member

I own both the RNC and the RNLA. The RNC is a lot more versatile but the RNLA is awesome at what it does (vocals, bass guitar and minor rounding edges on percussive sounds)