This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

For finger-style shredders out there...

Discussion in 'Steve DiGiorgio' started by coolsnow7, Oct 5, 2006.

1. coolsnow7

coolsnow7 Raining Blood

How do you build right hand speed? I've been trying for quite some time, not making too much progress. This is especially directed at people doing it with 2 fingers.

2. Frank the tank

practice. i got a video from guitar center about right hand technique with mostly funk bassists called " starlick sessions - right hand technique" you could probably find some youtube videos or something on it. otherwise if your having trouble you might first want to find a position that is comfortable for where you rest your hand on the bass, or adjust the height of it - i hold mine particularly high. what might work is if you start with your index and middle finger and do a sorta 1(index) 2(middle) 1 - 2 - 1 -2 type of excercise on E and then bulid speed using a metronome and go into straight 8th note type of stuff and then move to using all the strings. takes time but the more you practice the easier itll get. start with something easy, puppets is a good song to learn when you get there cause itll improve speed and endurance.

3. NicholasDWolfwood

I use Steve's exercises, like tapping 1-2-1-2-1-2 on a table etc.

4. Shamus

Shamus Timechild

Playing along with Iron Maiden albums never hurt anyone.

5. Satanstoenail

Satanstoenail My Larpstyle determines my Derpstyle

Yep. That's how I learned right hand endurance and strength. Steve Harris's bass lines are nice and audible, not too technical, and he really plays hard with his fingers. Great for learning.

6. Higon

Higon No Blest´s Bassist

Playing "Pulverized" from Canibal Corpse helps a lot too. I´ve been working out through this using only two fingers and have noticed improvement.

The main thing in my case mas to make every single note sound the same and with a lot of punch. Also, the good old "1-2-3-4 alternating fingers thing" helps a lot too.

7. SYlvain L'Heureux

SYlvain L'Heureux New Metal Member

I tried to learn to play fast with finger but only result was deception :(
    i can still play pretty fast with pick,but i know finger playing supose to be better
    x_x
    Big deception =(

8. Gawen

Gawen Night! You beautiful

Play some power - speed stuff (like Stratovarius, Sonata Arctica...). It's boring but you can focus all your attenion on right hand, it also help you in building your endurance. I did it in the past and I've got to do it now :erk: :puke: for 3 fingers technique, it's useful.

9. MaskedJackal

MaskedJackal 4003 = <3

Sitting with a metronome and just working up speed is great for me, whether it's 2 or 3 finger stuff.

10. Disincarnate

Disincarnate I'm but a wave to...

^ agreed use the metronome and practice practice practice

11. coolsnow7

coolsnow7 Raining Blood

Thanks for all the tips everyone!

I've been doing metronome on and off for a while, got back into it now. Another question: if I can do one scale up and down at 120 bpm, but for the next my hand is too fatigued to keep it up, should I lower the tempo to accomodate my weak endurance, or just give it a few seconds in between each run?

12. bcrichrob

bcrichrob New Metal Member

:kickass:
    I started to practice to Maiden back in the early 80's and even with my Rush,Yes and Genesis stuff I still haul out the P-Bass at least once a week and put the ric 4001 aside for a Maiden session.Great for speed.Maiden's music is just plain fun and not too hard to learn although Steve Harris will throw you some challenges!...Rob

13. Bassista

Bassista Eastern Europe Groover

another step for that technique:
    using pairs of fingers-12 23 34 separately, meaning :
    when you play fast lots of notes eg.playing in order- string e four notes(1-2-1-2) string a three notes (3-2-3) srting d eight notes notes( 1-2-1-2 -4-3-4-3)
    this is just an egsample of tis technique ,it can be played as weird as the sounds go throurh the fingerboard -no limits in speed and note variations on all strings and in every position:) have fun:):kickass:

14. coolsnow7

coolsnow7 Raining Blood

Can someone answer this question?

15. Travis

Travis Bassist

Just do what feels best to you. I can't give you a straight answer of whether you should give yourself a few seconds or just slow it down, but I will say this - You should try and continue playing through the next one, even if you start to slow down due to your fingers tiring. You won't get anywhere if you don't push yourself. Though, that being said, don't push yourself TOO hard. I've read in lots of places that injury isn't uncommon.

16. Bassista

Bassista Eastern Europe Groover

Damn right .Because of injuries I had to take nearly a year time pause in the band I was playing with

17. Satanstoenail

Satanstoenail My Larpstyle determines my Derpstyle

I'd say lower the tempo to the speed that feels comfortable, and then play it over and over until the endurance builds and you can speed it up a bit. Stopping for a few seconds will not be as good for endurance and stamina.