This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Gave up Facebook for good

Discussion in 'Bar' started by scorpio01169, Oct 11, 2014.

1. scorpio01169

scorpio01169 Member

It was hard but after frustrations with all the gossipy, pity party, political conspiracy bs, I finally said fuck it and deleted my account. I originally got facebook to reconnect with all most of my old school friends that I hadn't seen from 20+ years, but come to find out that many of them turned out to be a bunch of goofy, racist, moody assholes. I decided that maybe there was a reason I didn't keep in contact with these people for a reason and vice versa. My real and true friends have my cell and can contact me when they need and wanna hear from me.

2. Star Ark

Star Ark Member

I think the moody and goofy ones are just being themselves. Everyone else is puting way too much effort into cultivating their ideal persona. Anyone over the age of 25 still strutting around like a fucking member of the show entourage is a superficial loser.

3. JasinElric

JasinElric Straf Drah Studio

I'm slowly starting to come to grips with this fact as well. It's also not as helpful to bands anymore, and in many ways pretty harmful.

4. Melb_shredder

Melb_shredder Orpheus: Melodic Death

I get half my clientele through Facebook interaction. No idea how I could make myself delete my account. Props to ya \m/

5. SocialNumb

SocialNumb Damn Christians!

This is why I only have a select few people, since I'm not a phone guy, it's the best way to get in touch with me.

6. ArsMemoria

ArsMemoria Member

I'm the same way, SocialNumb. Though, as I look at my current news feed, my friend list seriously needs a purge.

7. Clockwork

Clockwork Bass playing guy.

I dunno how to survive as a phone guy, I never think to get numbers and always lose them when I get a new phone or something so I feel dependent on facebook to keep in touch with people even if it's on an infrequent basis. I think if you use facebook somewhat passively it is better because if you are looking at it actively you are gonna see all the memes and political bullshit a lot more. The worst is bands that just post memes though in an attempt to get peoples attention, ugh.

8. Sloan

Sloan Sounds like shit!

Facebook is one of the most fun things on the internet ever. I am checking and shitting out posts on it constantly. I pretty much use it as a stream of consciousness kind of blog where i put what ever dumb shit i just thought of and also any stupid internet shit i find. i am in a lot of different groups and have a great time interacting with friends. don't take everything seriously and it is a hilarious waste of time.

9. Flow Of Time

Flow Of Time Member

That sounds terrible Sloan

10. sprack

sprack Thread Killer

Just put everyone you don't really want to see on the Acquaintances list. That keeps them off your feed and you can post to Friends except Acquaintances without them seeing.

11. Terminus

Terminus Member

My girlfriend last night - "You're addicted to facebook."

...as she is checking facebook on her phone. I dont even really use it all that much lately. I'll post a song off YT or reply to a friend's post ftmp.

12. scorpio01169

scorpio01169 Member

Didn't know that. I may un-delete my account but I'm kinda enjoying not having it...it's forcing me to be more focus on real life face to face issues.

13. SocialNumb

SocialNumb Damn Christians!

You could do that or just don't "follow" the people that annoy you. It automatically "follows" for you when you accept a "friend".

14. Loren Littlejohn

Loren Littlejohn Lover of all boobage.

Yeah I'm at this point as well.

15. crillemannen

crillemannen Member

I think FB is a great way to get in contact with bands. But i rarely post about personal stuff but i think its a great tool.

16. Loren Littlejohn

I am definitely an obnoxious cunt on facebook. I can't stand our corrupt as fuck Governor and pretty much let everyone know about what a POS he is whenever I can.

Other than that, worthless posts galore. Better to not put me in your feed. :lol:

17. JeffTD

JeffTD Senhor Testiculo

Why does this not at all surprise me? :lol:

18. Loren Littlejohn

Yeah I thought about requesting you, but I have a feeling you would quickly unfriend me. :lol:

Not that I have anything personal against you, we just don't think alike with many things outside audio.

19. Genius Gone Insane

Genius Gone Insane http://www.¯\(°_o)/¯.com

Cheers to you people who have abandoned Facebook. %$&$ Facebook and all the other the NSA pervs

20. egan.

egan. daylightdies.com

I still like it. It's a good way to passively keep up with people. If someone spams with conspiracy theories or useless stuff I just unfollow them. I have turned internet acquaintances in to legit friendships b/c of FB and FB messenger so my overall opinion is positive. To be honest, despite the creep factor it's also a far better aggregator of news I care about than TV or newspapers. I think the quality of your FB experience is almost entirely dictated by your friends and your own posts.
    On an aside, the NSA monitors the internet on a ISP level so unless you're willing to surrender all things telcom abstaining from any one platform shields you from nothing (in the US). Yeah, avoiding FB, Twitter, Google, Apple, and microsoft may provide you some minimal additional privacy but the bottom line is that you can assume any internet conversation is easily monitored.