This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Gear used on Trivums new 'Crusade' album.

Discussion in 'Andy Sneap' started by kev, Oct 7, 2006.

1. kev

kev Im guybrush threepwood

Hey guys, been listening to the album for some time now and have decided that it is very good work indeed. I am very tempted to make this album a buy on Monday!

Anyone know the techy details for the album? I am still actually overwhelmed by the enormous sound of the drums in the first few seconds of Ascendancy's 'pull harder', so any information is good information.

2. MX582

MX582 Member

3. Suicide_As_Alibi

Haha, good article - I especially liked this bit:

:p

Steve

4. axeman720

axeman720 Member

Jason Produced, and i engineered the crusade. Main rhythm guitars are Bogner Uberschall and a 95 two channel recto. Both amps went through our marshall cab with v30s. I micd with 57, 421, I5 and beyer dynamic 201 and blended the mics at varying levels down to one track. Api 3124 and vintech x73s for preamps. The main rhythm guitar was an ernie ball putrucci 7 string for all songs. The Leads were micd the same way and were mostly the kustom 72 coupe boosted with a ts 808, some 5150 was used as well. Oh and we used the 808 on all the rhythms too. The main lead guitars were a dean hardtail, razorback v (the first one ever made) and a dean ML. All usa models.

I tracked paolos bass through a sansamp rbi and took a clean di through a ua610. He used his custom mockingbird, which is to this day one of the best sounding basses i've ever heard, period.

Drums...Goddam. The kit from hell. Tracked in the morrisound A room, as usual for us. The first day we started with travis' tama superstar kit, which jay and i both though was a horrible idea. After 12 hours of shit tones and micing the biggest kit in history, we scrapped the kit and sent the tech back to sanford to get the pearl masters birch kit from the studio. There is pics of the kit micd up i think on the audio hammer myspace. if not i'll link you guys to the pic.

Oh's were 4 km 184s, ssl preamps. 414 on the right china ssl preamp. 421s on toms, api preamps. i5 and ae3000 on top snare, vintech and ssl pres. Btm snare was 57, ssl pre. We had 3 sets of stereo rooms, for lots of mix options. We had a pair royer 121s flown about 20 feet above the kit and 30 feet back in spaced pair, vintech x72 pres. 87s about 30 feet back in blumlein, ssl pres and two 414 ebs behind the kit in spaced pair vintech x72 again. Hi hat and ride were also 451. kicks were triggered anyway but i think we monitored with a gated re20 though an ssl pre.

Ummm, i think the strings were dr 9-50 with a 60 on the low b. Does that answer your questions? o_O

5. MX582

MX582 Member

sweet!! thanks for all the info!

6. kev

Fricken Ace!!! That'll cover it lol!

7. axeman720

axeman720 Member

no prob at all

8. wishtheend

wishtheend clip the apex

So did the drums end up with any samples on 'em? Also, do you happen to know what heads where used on the Pearl ?

9. kev

now thats greed :heh: hahaha :lol:

10. Gnash

Gnash Lefty

Nice details, man!!! Do you remember which pre you used for the 57 on the cab! I have the sigle channel Great River pre, and I want to purchase the Vintech x73 for it's eq section, and blend them V style. Thanx, You rule, man!

11. Gnash

Gnash Lefty

I just read the "Maestro of Metal" article! Good luck on the construction, and getting that SSL! I just built an addition onto my studio, with a bathroom and rec area, so people wouldn't have to go into my house to take a dump! Oh yeah, that Deicide into Alanis Morrisette, on chimairatube, was classic, bro!:kickass:

12. MX582

MX582 Member

i think im gonna pick up a vintech 273 sometime this week..ive been hearing some really good things about vintech

13. axeman720

axeman720 Member

Vintech rules, GREAT customer service, and even better preamps. I cant remember which mic got which pre at the moment but i know for sure that the 421 went through the vintech, cuz i always have to flip the phase on that mic and the api 3124 doesnt have phase switches, which i still cannot believe. Actually now that i think of it, i think it was i5 and 57 on the api and 421 and 201 on the vintech. Thats usually how i roll, haha.

Oh and emperor on the top toms and ambassadors on the bottom. emperor x on the snares i think and aquarian super kick II on the bass drums.

and yes colin used samples on the final mix. fully replaced kick and blended snare and toms.

BTW guys this is NOT jason, but i'll tell him you enjoyed his benton impression. Its quite frequent around here haha. Im thinkin maybe i should change my moniker round here, most of ya mistake me for him anyway haha.

Oh, and we got an ssl 4056 g+ about two months ago and the new studio construction will hopefully start soon as well. Thanks!

14. RealisticMicLover 666

RealisticMicLover 666 New Metal Member

that's because your screen name isn't axeMAAAAAN720

15. Gnash

Gnash Lefty

My bad, MAAAAAN.

:heh:

16. MX582

MX582 Member

sweet! be sure to post some pics of the new studio when its done!
    and there aint nothin better than mixing on an SSL

17. axeman720

axeman720 Member

sure thing MAAAAN.