This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

GMD SONG SURVIVOR: Slayer - Show No Mercy

Discussion in 'General Metal Discussion' started by no country for old wainds, Apr 27, 2015.

1. TechnicalBarbarity

TechnicalBarbarity -TheNightsBane-

He's somewhat right though. It wasn't too long ago that BB was shitting on death metal the same way he shits on BM today. And lol @ calling the riffing on Fight Till Death DM.

I wont be surprised if he becomes a BDM know-it-all in a few months.

2. HamburgerBoy

HamburgerBoy Active Member

I never shat upon death metal on this forum. The most you will find from me there is that I've said that death metal has a lot of standout bands but few standout albums, in the sense that once a death metal band finds its niche they tend to stick to it past my interest level. Citation needed if you want to make more shit up.

Fight Till Death has pretty much the original (or at least prototypical) death metal tremolo-picking riff/progression. It's as much a death metal song as nearly anything on Seven Churches.

3. TechnicalBarbarity

I don't make shit up. And i'm pretty sure that me and you were not the only ones posting here during those times so its not like it's some kind of secret that you used to dislike the genre. I'm not about to spend half an hour fishing for old posts, im not you. What i should do is copy and paste everything you post just in case you try to pull one of these again.

yes, everything else in that post is wrong.

4. HamburgerBoy

Prototypical or full-fledged is a bit arbitrary, the point is that it provided the basis of pretty much all death metal riffing up to the late 80s. Musically it's much closer to death metal than songs like Holy Hell, Death Metal, Evil Warriors, Twisted Minds, etc, and you can't deny that Slayer was pretty much the riffing center from which all extreme metal came from.

Regarding the ego-stroking shit that turns you on so much, a handful of posts from when I began here referring to death metal positively in some form

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...um/459430-raw-extreme-thrash.html#post7955031
    http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...roversial-opinions-metal-225.html#post8181030
    http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...rrently-kicking-your-ass-111.html#post8541098
    http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...0-greatest-death-metal-songs.html#post8961032
    http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...-your-musical-tastes-changed.html#post7997754

You could also check my LastFM and see probably at least a couple thousand scrobbles from assorted death metal bands. Not saying that it's my favorite kind of metal (it's fourth place at best behind trad, thrash, and prog) but I definitely listen to it. I don't know why you're acting so butthurt and on the move to defend your honor as the tr00 protector of all things metal.

EDIT: Oh yeah, you were butthurt because I don't adore Spawn of Possession, therefore I don't listen to death metal.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...oversial-opinions-metal-568.html#post10844685

5. CF87

CF87 Active Member

Everyone knows Slayer is an influencial band. It's not like you are telling anyone anything they do not know. You're an idiot. I don't understand what your trying to prove. Black Sabbath influenced Doom Metal. Who cares.

6. HamburgerBoy

Yeah, but you're the idiot voting off one of their most important songs when pretty typical and uninteresting stuff like The Antichrist and Face the Slayer remain. It'd be like voting off Children of the Grave before After Forever. Don't do that.

7. TechnicalBarbarity

Listing a few albums and songs here and there doesn't mean you weren't hating on most of the genre a few years back. And im definitely not about to click on your fucked up links just to through pages looking for a certain post. But i clearly remember you digging some of the early thrashier stuff like Piece of Time and Malleus Maleficarum, but i also remember you talking shit about the genre as a whole more than a few times.

yea man, you nailed it! That's exactly why i think you didnt used to like the DM .. because you didn't listen to SoP, bro :rolleyes:

:lol: only Slayer, right? And ALL extreme metal, right? :lol:

8. TechnicalBarbarity

I think Fight Till Death is a top 3 track easily, but you're making it seem like there's a huge difference in quality between those two tracks.

9. CF87

CF87 Active Member

Nah man, you have to prefere the song Fight Till Death because it is has tremolo riff. A prototypical riff. ha ha! :lol:

10. HamburgerBoy

i.e. you have no argument

When it comes down to the fundamentals of extreme metal riffing, pretty much. Obviously Venom had even more widespread influence on a whole, but Slayer brought the death metal riff. The other bands playing early extreme metal at the time (Sodom, Hellhammer, Bathory) may have been darker and dirtier and grimmer, but the riffs themselves were largely heavy metal or hardcore punk riffs hidden under shitty production.

These threads would be boring if we just posted song titles without ever giving reasons why.

11. Pagan Savior

Pagan Savior Member

Not sure it would be any more boring than reading pages and pages of this shitfight to be honest

12. TechnicalBarbarity

@hb:

As DD already said, everyone here already knows that Slayer were one of the most influential bands of all time .. no need for the history lesson. I'm not arguing against their huge influence on death metal and even black metal to an extent. But to say that they're the "riffing center from which all extreme metal came from" is just plain wrong. There's plenty of extreme metal bands today that have pretty much nothing to do with Slayer. But if you're saying they're one of the most influential bands of all time, than of course i agree ... who wouldn't?

13. no country for old wainds

get yer votes in folks, will start a new round later on

14. no country for old wainds

Round 3 Results
    'the antichrist' goes with 40% of the votes!

Round 4 Tracklist
    1) Evil Has No Boundaries
    3) Die By The Sword
    4) Fight Till Death
    5) Metal Storm / Face The Slayer
    6) Black Magic

Vote for the ONE weakest link.

15. no country for old wainds

metal storm / face the slayer

16. rms

rms Active Member

metal storm / face the slayer