This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Good-Bye Pearl Room?

Discussion in 'Chicago Powerfest' started by Novembers Paul, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Novembers Paul

Rumor has it, The Pearl Room is no more.

2. BalanceofPower

BalanceofPower My god,it's full of stars

The Stratovarius/Pagan's Mind show better not be cancelled or I will be a pissed of person.

3. Pate

Pate Member

Nooo! I'm one of the few who like it.

4. shreddy

shreddy Member

You'll get no tears from me about the demise of the Pearl Room, I actually have been wishing for it for a while now.

edit---

I think this is the place that a lot of the shows are getting moved to.

http://www.pyramidclubaddison.com/

5. es156

es156 Member

Same here.

6. es156

es156 Member

7. Saladbar

Saladbar Jose Saladbar

Our 1000 square foot dance floor is open on Friday and Saturday nights from 9pm - 2am. Come party with our DJ >>DJ SLICK<< :ill:

On another note....
    I'll have to say.......I'm not sad about this. It was an hour and a half ride from my house. The free parking and the cheap hotel close by will be missed though.

8. shreddy

shreddy Member

I've never been there so I dont know what the deal is with the place, if indeed that is the new place. From what I understand its a big room. Its in Addison (right near O'Hare) which is immediately closer for most people to get to, they have pool tables, food and I'm sure they offer more than just Miller and Bud for beer. Also they have lots of drink specials, I'm sure a coke or water wont cost you $4 at this place.

Lets hope that the shows start getting spread out to all the other venues in the area, Metro, Reggies, Austins Fuel Room, Durty Nellies, Chicago City Limits, Double Door, Joe's on Weed Street, Kinetic Playground, Martyrs, Beat Kitchen, The Bottom Lounge, VIC, Riv etc...

Having all the bands in one venue was the worst thing for the metal scene that could possibly happen. It takes Metal out of the mindset of these other venues and they forget that there was a draw for Metal. The last few metal shows at Metro that I went to were either sold out or just about sold out, there is no reason that these nationals that played PR cant play Metro or other places, if size is a concern then there are lots of other options smaller or larger that have been Metal friendly in the past.

9. Pate

Pate Member

I liked the PR because it wasn't a giant pain in the ass to get to like all other Chicago area venues.

10. shreddy

shreddy Member

For me to get the PR was 40 miles 4 tolls ($4) and 60-90 min of driving, thats each way.

11. The Wicked One

The Wicked One Still menacing

The pyramid club at least has good music on their page...any website with Black Betty as a greeter is alright by me.

Question is, especially if CPF 2010 fits my tastes, where would it be?

Also is it too early to start getting wish lists made up? :lol:

12. Novembers Paul

It seems the entire complex is for sale by owner. The Pearl Room, and Capones. You can be the proud owner for only $5,250,000.

13. shreddy

shreddy Member

Future home of CVS or Walgreens LOL

14. Will Bozarth

Will Bozarth Everlasting Godstopper

well damn. hey CRJ, hold CPF near the Great Lakes. :tickled:

15. Pate

Pate Member

150 miles, 2 hrs 30 minutes for me. It was the quickest and easiest venue to get to for me.

16. ShadowLioness

ShadowLioness \m/ \m/

From a fan standpoint, I generally always liked the Pearl Room. Personally I felt it was a saving grace and a nice break from always having to travel to the city for a show. I'm centrally located in Chicagoland and honestly I preferred making the 45 minute to an hour drive to Mokena rather than fighting the traffic into the city and having a debacle with parking (whether it was price or just plain trying to find it). Free parking, food establishments and reasonable lodging within walking distance were also always a plus for me.

Interestingly enough, I read today that Eleveitie will indeed be coming back to the States in November on the Heathenfest America tour. The stop is listed as Chicago but the venue is the Jaguar Room. After a brief search I believe this to be a venue in Lemont, IL that used to be called Stage 83. Lemont is not quite as far south as Mokena.

My initial thought is that shows will go back to the places they used to be held. Shreddy mentioned a few. Before the PR I couldn't tell you how many metal shows I saw at the House of Blues. Before that it was always the Metro, Vic and Riv...and the Aragon many moons back. Time will tell how everything unfolds.

17. Scott H

Scott H Member

I kind of felt something in the air when MWC played Powerfest. It just didn't seem like a place that was booming or at least holding strong. Sad, I have good memories of that place and was my favorite stage next to the Metro.

18. NvmbrsDoom5

NvmbrsDoom5 Member

Let me add my two cents on something real quick....

Pearl Room's existence didn't really impact upon any of the other clubs metal-ness or not. It'd be nice to think that more big metal shows will start happening at Metro or some of these other venues, but I don't think that's going to be the case. Places like Metro and Double Door have been very picky about what metal shows/tours they'll book there, and alot of times you also have to deal with the 18+ or 21 & over factor with those clubs. Don't even get me started on trying to park around there....

House of Blues......ugh. Don't get me started on that either.

Pearl Room, for all of it's faults, was spacious, had (mostly) decent sound and lights, and catered to all kinds of metal. After having played in this area for over 20 years, I've learned not to be too quick to dismiss places like this. I can recall being quick to bitch about places like Thirsty Whale, Jackhammers, Fotches, and other clubs that catered to metal bands, because of all the stuff I didn't like about it. Once they were gone and I could look back with hindsight, I realised we were lucky to have these places to play, or to go see amazing underground bands play, or just to hang out with our brethren. And as far as bitching about driving distance....a show is either worth the drive or it isn't. I hear alot of people bitching about having to drive to shows here all the time. After touring Europe and meeting people who drove 18 hours from places like Russia and Estonia and so forth, just to see a few bands they love play.....well sorry but I have less compassion for people who cry to me about how they couldn't come to see us play because it was an hour drive from their house, heh.

Anyhow, the point of my rant is not to be all pro-Pearl Room, but just to point out the simple fact that it's closing means that's one less venue for our bands to be able to perform at, and really in the long run that isn't a good thing. Every time I played PR, I had an issue with something there (usually sound-wise) but that really pales in comparison to the fact that we got to play for alot of people at those shows and it was great exposure for us regardless.

19. The Wicked One

The Wicked One Still menacing

Double Door needs to cut that age crap out....I wanna see Destroyer 666!:cry:

20. Drummer Dave Kinkade

Drummer Dave Kinkade I'm in the band

The Pearl Room really sucks