This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Green Carnation performs entire 'Light of Day, Day of Darkness' @ DOTE

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by Mister Pink Bunny, Oct 17, 2005.

1. skyrefuge

skyrefuge Member

I guess it all comes down to how you define "fans". In my view, a "fan" can't overhype something, because a fan truly does like it as much as they say they do. If someone does overhype something, then they aren't a fan, they're, uh, an overhyper.

And so perhaps the problem is that the number of metal fans who truly love atmospheric, expansive compositions like LoD,DoD is still quite small. Bands like (early) Green Carnation, In the Woods..., (early) Opeth, Empyrium, Forgotten Silence, On Thorns I Lay, etc., seem to only attract a tiny portion of the overall metal fanbase. But for those of us who *do* like that kind of music, LoD,DoD is nearly perfection, so maybe the superlatives coming from those fans were *so* strong that they unwittingly leaked to those outside the boundaries of that style of music, and thus, the album reached the mainstream metal audience, ending up in the hands of a lot of people who just aren't fans of that sort of thing. Which is unfortunate, but it doesn't mean the fans were being dishonest, they were just assuming there were more people out there like them than there actually are.

All that said, I've listened to Light of Day, Day of Darkness every morning for the past four mornings, and I think anyone who doesn't like it has to be retarded or something. :)

2. The Invisible Guest

The Quiet Offspring is the latest one. Blessing in Disguise is their release prior to TQO.

Britt

3. zekeyou

zekeyou Member

Necrobump.

4. Mardoch

Mardoch Defender of the Universe

The ten year bump. This might be a record, man.

5. Yippee38

Yippee38 Living the dream!

Damn. Has it been so long?

Friday, earlier during the show, I started thinking about what band could Glenn bring that would really surprise me, and make me excited. My first thought was Green Carnation. When I got to the line in the announcment that said, "one song" I knew it was LoDDoD.

6. KingsGene

KingsGene God of Thunder

Love this!

7. AngraRULES

AngraRULES Member

"Night of the Living Thread"

8. dtfanatic

dtfanatic Member

Thread of the Dead

9. skyrefuge

skyrefuge Member

If only! This thread is so old, that the OP (Adrian Bromley) is literally dead. :(

But now that we're here, let's revisit *my* hopeful/prophetic quote:

So yeah, apparently Glenn passed over Green Carnation for PPVII, instead deciding to jam an "X" into those Roman numerals and waiting for PPXVII, where he could announce "Green Carnation's First Post-Reunion North American Appearance, Where They Will Play All Of Light of Day, Day of Darkness". Obviously he recognized that "reunion" shows provide more bang-for-the-buck, and, playing the long game, knew that GC would break up and reform 7 years later, so it was better to hold off on bringing them to the ProgPower stage. That's a promoter with vision!

Unfortunately, my even more insane wish of an In the Woods reunion show is actually more in-play than it was 10 years ago, given that In the Woods has actually reformed too! But you couldn't book them too?! WTF Glenn! :loco:

10. zekeyou

zekeyou Member

Green Carnation bidding farewell to Bromley 2 mornings after Day of the Equinox:

[​IMG]

11. Will Bozarth

Will Bozarth Everlasting Godstopper

The Toronto performance was spectacular. In place of the... uh... "orgasm solo", they had an awesome theremin/sax battle. I'm excited to see what they do this time.

12. Pellaz

Pellaz Tigron of Immanion

Yep. I saw "One song....one album..." and as Derek T. is my witness, I yelled "oooooh, noooooooooo!" in shock and amazement. And then cheered and screamed like a little girl. Voice is still fucked up.

I was wondering about that. Theremins are nifty...and would be a ProgPower USA first, I'm pretty sure.

13. eppst1

eppst1 Member

The one song line, I was the only one that thought of Crimson?

This is pretty good too. :)

14. TwizstedJesus

TwizstedJesus Member

Full disc, on sale at iTunes for $1.99

15. Palabra de Dios

Palabra de Dios Heavy Metal Weatherman

There are folks in the 10-years-ago thread expressing negative opinions on this album...have those opinions changed? Or is this still a "meh" thing for y'all?

I, personally, love this album. Can't wait. Probably got my biggest reaction during the announcement video. I plan to wear my Light of Day t-shirt to the show.

16. MelbCro

MelbCro Member

This album has stood the test of time, its very much an underground classic.

17. Will Bozarth

Will Bozarth Everlasting Godstopper

I have not, and probably will never, understand those people.

18. MelbCro

MelbCro Member

What do people think of the rest of their discography? I rate Acoustic Verses right up there with Light of Day as a masterpiece. Their debut Journey To The End Of The Night is pretty weak, just ends up coming across as a poor man's In the Woods. Rather just listen to Omnio. Blessing in Disguise would be my third fav album, not at the level of Light of Day or Acoustic Verses but a quality album. Quiet Offspring is an average album, their most streamlined album and one which really failed to consistently deliver that soul crushing melancholy which Green Carnation do best. Though there are still some great tunes on there.

19. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Member

It looks like folks = Zod saying the album is overrated. I doubt he's changed his opinion.

20. Palabra de Dios

Palabra de Dios Heavy Metal Weatherman

Acoustic Verses is fantastic, and they played most of it as an encore when I saw them on their failed US tour 10 years ago. "The Burden is Mine Alone" is my second favorite of their songs ever, behind "Lullaby in Winter."

Light of Day absolutely still holds up this many years later, though. God damn. I listened to it this morning while doing my forecast, and it's just breathtaking still.