This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Join the Chaos

Want to join in with the rest of the Hate Crew? Sign up today!

Guitar Player's Thread

Discussion in 'CoB Off-topic' started by Blindfold, Oct 16, 2006.

1. the phenom

the phenom Member

Shielding probably or then the grounding popped off or a cold solder is getting fucked. Just tell him to check in the cavity if he sees a wire jumping loose and try pushing the wires individually against some connectors and see if something happens. Had that problem and I think it was the ground that failed on me. I had to solder in a new one too...rats ass!

2. <Arcane>

<Arcane> Active Member

Ok, thx! I'd sent him your replies and he replied with:

well we have already opened the cavity and everything seems wired correctly and nothing seems loose. my ground has like 3 wires soldered to a joining piece of metal screwed into the cavity of the guitar and then has a single wire running from that meeting point to the back plate of the floyd. now one thing i did forget to mention is that i pulled out the stereo jack and when i touched one of the clips with my finger the sound greatly reduced but idk if that was just because my finger was acting as a ground or if it could possibly be as simple as i need a new jack.? but thanks for the replies so far. my stepfather who has a degree in electronics seems to think that rewiring it would not fix it but might just have him do it anyway. what can it hurt? haha

3. <-Warheart->

<-Warheart-> † Fuck You Very Much †

Doesn't he have another guitar he can rip the jack from to try?

4. Earth Breather

mutiny within album leaked, so i had to learn this solo

#25924 Earth Breather, Jan 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  5. <-Warheart->

Ha, I remember when the bald dude was on this site, asking for a drummer. He then posted again about 8 months later with a vid of a drummer they found. Tight playing!!

Here's a quick tone sample of my newly installed JACKSON JE-1000 with J-50BC.

Can't believe how awesome this thing sounds in person, through an amp. This is just in the mic input of a laptop!!!

#25925 <-Warheart->, Jan 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  6. The Emptier

The Emptier t3h b3aSt0rZ

cool, but it got annoying with like a new lick every 2 seconds and then you stopping etc.etc.

7. <-Warheart->

I didn't know what to play. I did explain that in the description, but no one ever reads that, do they.

8. The Emptier

The Emptier t3h b3aSt0rZ

well...not in this case because it was an embedded video ^^
    but anyways ,you're playing is as clean as a baby's bottom

9. charli

charli Member

yo mitch u said the gainboost really makes no difference to turning the amp gain up, so a j 50 bc with a mm 04 will sound as good as that?

10. Lowberg

Lowberg Member

Mitch, what gauge strings do you use in D? Looks like you've got great control on those bends/vibrato

11. children of COB

children of COB Deadnight Drinker

Wow! Sounds pretty good, and as Zakk said your playing is extremely fucking clean dude. Awesome!

12. <-Warheart->

It really makes no difference? I've said before that the EMG PA-2 makes no difference and is just like having a gain switch like an amp, but the JE-1000 just transforms the sound completely. It sounds like it's got a tiny bit of wah on it now, in my opinion, and I love it to bits.

An MM-04 is the ESP (?) version of the JE-1000, so it sounds pretty similar.

I have a JE-1200 if anyone is interested, £65.

I just switched to DR 11-50! (And they taste great! :lol:). I thought I'd increase fanboyness and give them a go, and I've been playing it for about a week and they STILL sound brand new, it's incredible.

I used to use Ernie Ball 10's on this, but won't be using those again! I got a pack off Ebay for £4.99, free P&P, whereas the EB's were £6.50 for me in a shop!

Thanks Jose! I will have to do a decent riff thing, but it's just finding the appropriate time to have the time alone! Might try tomorrow.

13. Muffin

Muffin Dusk..

I pay £12 for a pack of strings at my local shop :(

I've gotten strings off of Ebay before though, heaven. Will do again.

It's cool to hear that the JE-1000 actually makes that much of a difference, in the past years I've been turned on and off by the JE-1000 several times, almost bought 2 of them(custom made thingy), but in the end i'd probably just have ended up selling them, as while i love their lead tone, i despise the rythm tone :/

14. Lowberg

Lowberg Member

Yeah i figured you used 10s on that, either that or you have like super monster strength hands.

I love 11's too, but I miss the easy control of lighter strings

If my band wasn't so riff crazy then I'd probably step down to 10's

On that note I have been continually influencing my other guitarist to use better suited gear.

He used to use 9's in D standard and loved it (sounded poopty) but now I gradually stepped him up to 11's and he wont go back

He also used to swear by these strange Dava Picks which were like made of weird rubbery plastic except for the tip which was a harder plastic, and I showed him the ways of the dark side and got him hooked on the Jazz IIIs lol

Now if only I can convince him to give me his Ibanez V-blade in return
    (that thing is such a fucking awesome workhorse-of-a guitar, I'm so mad they are discontinued!)

15. Delanoir

Delanoir Member

Hey guys, I was hoping to get your opinions on something.

After being not much of a pedal guy, I've decided to start trying out a good Overdrive pedal because of all the great things I've been hearing. But I'm pretty blind as to where to start in terms of which ones are the "best". I say "best" because I'm sure, like with most things in music, it all depends on one's taste. However, keeping that in mind, I'm hoping that anyone here who has experience can tell me what they've found to be true about them, and most suitable to their ears.

The ones I'm currently looking at are: Boss OD-3 and SD-1. MXR Wylde Overdrive and Fullbore. Ibanez TS9 (and TS9DX) and TS808.

I don't really know what the differences between OD3 and SD1 are, and the same with TS9 and 808. I've heard good things about the MXR Wylde. The Fullbore seems to have some cool features, like the noisegate and tone sweep options, but might be a bit too overcomplicated for my simple taste when it comes pedals and knobs.

EDIT: Further youtube research seems to have shown the Fullbore to sound like total shit, so that one is eliminated. And the OD-3 seems to be better than the SD-1, but I'm still not sure.

16. TheKid

TheKid OFR

I've always wondered about those, what pickups does it have? And is it a bolt-on?

17. snowy

snowy The Empire Strikes Back

I did :D
    ''I got a JE-1000!!!! Now I have the exact same guitar setup as Laiho in '99. Wish I still had the GP-1000 too. '':p

Nice playing actually. Can you play some blues licks, leads and stuff without that shredding/shredding style? Would be interesting to hear some guy like you play such stuff without getting super fast or using that kind of sweeping.
    But again, pretty clean and tight playing playing.

18. Muffin

Muffin Dusk..

I've heard really good things about Maxon's OD 808 version, and its most likely the one i'll go for. I'd go for a TS9 or 808 if i were you, the Boss OD pedals are probably great too but the TS line is really legendary for a reason. But as always, see if you can test them out before you buy them.

19. Lowberg

Lowberg Member

Comes stock with dimarzio D-Activators, it's neckthru, 24 jumbo frets, fixed bridge and surprisingly very good tuners

20. TheKid

TheKid OFR

D-Activators and 24 frets? Bloody hell that is good.