This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Join the Chaos

Want to join in with the rest of the Hate Crew? Sign up today!

Guitar Player's Thread

Discussion in 'CoB Off-topic' started by Blindfold, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Works0fheart

Works0fheart Member

I'm usually very biased when it comes to BC Rich as well, I've never cared for them, but I've been a big fan of Chucks playing and sound for awhile so I had to try the guitar out. I ran it through the 6505+ combo amp that Ensi was talking about a page or two back, just to get an idea of how it would sound with my amp. Amazing was the impression I got, I'm going to attribute most of it to the X2 though actually. But yeah, it's definitely a very smooth playing guitar and the neck isn't too thick, which I like alot. I also have been really wanting a guitar that is Neck through without a floyd rose for a bit just to have something that I can quickly change tunings on when I feel like it.

The Rizzo guitar looks great and all, and I'm sure it is, but I might just as well get a Xiphos, over both guitars actually. Samash in Winterpark has this amazing red one with an X2 in it for like 600 dollars I think. It's neck through and in amazing condition. The only thing I would change is I would sand the paint away and do what was discussed a few pages ago.

2. srob7001

srob7001 I shred faces off for fun

Yea, if you like the Ibanez necks(I do) you can't go wrong with the Xiphos. I just got mine off craigslist for $350.00...what a steal. It plays great and its Mahogany which I always have liked Les Pauls growl(mahogany) so its nice to be able to get that growl with one of my guitars. It's just a totally different sound compared to my Alder and guitars.

I still have not sanded mine or really done anything with it besides a string change, cleaning, and set up.....as a matter of fact...I'm gonna go play it now...it has been a while.

You can't go wrong with any of them so good luck....just figure you could save some money if you went with a Xiphos over the other two.

Did you ever get your BK p/u?

3. Works0fheart

Works0fheart Member

Yeah, I got the pickup over a month ago, I've just been too lazy to install it :rofl: I'll take a pic of it here in a few and post it.

But yeah, I'll probably just get the Xiphos.

4. eveningninja

eveningninja Skull Kid

Any of you have experience with any of these pickups...

-Dimarzio Tone Zone
    -Dimarzio Breed
    -Seymour Duncan Alternative 8

I'm looking for a hot, aggressive, thick-sounding pickup for my Alexi-600. Something that'll bring out the lows and low-mids and chunk up its sound.

5. T3h_Killjoy

T3h_Killjoy Back to fuck shit up

So guys - Which volume pot should I use with JB 500 or 250 ?

6. Conti

Conti Chief Conti

Im sure he can but whats that going to do. Could he still tell in a crowded, hot venue with the whole band blasting?

7. s

s Member

Nah, it's mainly for recording purposes, apparently you lose tone with long guitar leads. I can see validity in that if you had a 100 metre long lead but can the average punter pick the difference between say a < 5ft and 20 ft lead?

s

8. SteveMCsteve

SteveMCsteve Member

You can try the seymour duncan sh-6.
    Definitely makes the chunky metal sound, but the highs might be too screechy for some people. I put it in my Edwards Arrowhead alexi, and replaced the booster with a coil tap. I rarely play the arrowhead anymore but I like it better than the EMG-HZ.

9. eveningninja

eveningninja Skull Kid

Well, to be perfectly honest I've liked just about every pickup I've ever tried more than the HZ :lol:

10. SteveMCsteve

SteveMCsteve Member

11. srob7001

srob7001 I shred faces off for fun

I have the Tone Zone in my Ibby. It is a very fat sounding pick up, but I wouldn't say its the best for metal. More like 80's style metal......think Paul Gilbert

And FWIW...I love my EMG HZ's.....srsly.......they just sound so natural to my ears.

Also.....got this yesterday
    [​IMG]

Avatr 2x12 Cab with V30's....nice

12. The Emptier

The Emptier t3h b3aSt0rZ

Need to get a new amp asap because my little practice epiphone acoustic thing died.....hopefully will pick up a roland jazz chorus or something else that gives sexy clean tones <3

13. TheKid

TheKid OFR

Roland cube dude, the cleans are underrated as hell and it has a nice meaty distortion, great bang for your buck. Inb4 ensi says toenport

14. Ensi

Ensi CAT WITH FUKKEN PODS

He said amp you dickwad.

Jazz Chorus' has teh epic cl33nz. Cube is good too.

One amp we've had in recently that I absolutely loved the cleans on was the Ibanez Tubescreamer amp+head:

[​IMG]

But I don't know too much 'bout dem kleens.

Also I made a rage comic:

[​IMG]

15. eveningninja

eveningninja Skull Kid

:lol: The equilibrium of playability and sound FTW.

16. eveningninja

eveningninja Skull Kid

Finally a reason to like Floyds again (I'm much less a fan of them now than I used to be):

[​IMG]

Made swapping EMG's in my RV super easy :p

17. marfal66

marfal66 Member

anyone tried miles of machines by loomis here? sounds like it's a bitch to play

18. Muffin

Muffin Dawn

in general for hums:
    250 = darker muddier sound
    500 = normal sound
    1000(1meg) = brighter sharper sound

19. T3h_Killjoy

T3h_Killjoy Back to fuck shit up

JB is kinda trebly, some people prefer it with 250, because it cuts the highs a bit and gives lows and mids some boost. My guitar has basswood body and maple top (more like a cap, one serious peace of maple there). But thanks for info anyway. :)

20. eveningninja

eveningninja Skull Kid

Deluhi Instructional DVD preview. w00000000t

Damn, that is what a good Rosewood fretboard looks like. And how a tr00 musician plays his own solos... *cough* Alexi *cough*

Agreed. I love Mahogany tonewood. It pisses me off that more RR's aren't made with Mahog. The only one I really see right now that is Mahog is the Jackson Kevin Bond sig <-- anyone ever played that? I'm assuming its build quality is similar to that of an RR24.

Mahog rules though, makes my Alder guitars sound... well, just kind of weak in comparison :p

#28980 eveningninja, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015