This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Join the Chaos

Want to join in with the rest of the Hate Crew? Sign up today!

Guitar Player's Thread

Discussion in 'CoB Off-topic' started by Blindfold, Oct 16, 2006.

1. eveningninja

eveningninja Skull Kid

MIM Strat that my friend gave me. I don't know much about Strats, serial is MZ0216755

Epic grandma-crafted carpet, made in the highest and cloudiest mountain of Japan.

Sick dude, I'm definitely looking into this. It's come to the point that I hardly play my FR guitars anymore because of the inherent tonal characteristics :p

It's my favorite sounding guitar right now, hot damn. One of the best LTD's I've ever played. I don't think I'll ever sell this bitch.

I hope to get more 7's in the near future. One is not enough! I had to have this Reaper because it was a custom b-stock 7-string V for only $399. I doubt I could find any kind of 7-string V with this quality for remotely the same price :lol:

2. srob7001

srob7001 I shred faces off for fun

I know what you mean...they have a thin kind of sound to them.

I can almost guarantee that if you put a brass block in you will once again love them. I don't even really play my LTD or Xiphos because of that thin sound(they are both stock), but my Jackson I can't put down...it sounds soooo much better.

If you get one and don't like it you can always sell it to me.

3. eveningninja

eveningninja Skull Kid

Sounds good man. It shall be in my near future of purchases.

For US/Canada residents, here's a contest to win an LTD Stephen Carpenter SC-208 8 string guitar: http://espguitars.com/contests_stef.html

4. Leandro

Leandro ¬¬

I love the spalted maple top on that pointy explorer-like thingy.

5. s

s Member

I removed the back plate from my Kelly the day I changed the first set of strings and it's been sitting in the closet since.

I also have the truss rod plate off (recording atm), I must remember to put that back on before I lose it.

s

6. eveningninja

eveningninja Skull Kid

Are they removable? I have 2 FR guitars and while I'm at the moment unsure if I might sell one or not, so I only want to get one brass block for now, but since I want to use both guitars to record, I'd like to put the block in the one that's recording at the time, so could I swap it around? Or am I being ridiculous and not understanding here?

Thanks broseph.

:lol: Most of my guitars are the same way. Back plate off (if it's a FR guitar), and truss rod covers off (some of them missing). I have since wisened up though and now grab plastic ziploc baggies and mark with a Sharpie "Jackson RR5" or whatever respective name belongs, and place all the parts/components of that guitar into that baggy, and I have those baggies sitting with all my guitar stuff (allen keys, spare pickups, etc.). Makes me a lot less stressed haha.

7. TheKid

TheKid OFR

So yeah, my first video in forever and a half, and it's a wankfest.

#29007 TheKid, Aug 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  8. srob7001

Yes, totally removable.

Now to remove one you have to take off the saddles to get to the sustain block screws. There are 3 of them. Make sure you take a picture of the position your saddles are in before you take them off, that way when you put them back on they are relative to the position they were in before removale. Or else your intonation is going to be all out of whack. Also, make sure you put the correct saddle in the same string position. They have different heights to them to account for the curve of the fretboard.

You may already know this, but if not you will be scrathcing your head later wondering why the guitars set up is all out of spec when you thought you put it back together right.

Oh, there is also a shim in between the sustain block and the floyd's base plate, you don't need it, get rid of it. It's just another piece of metal that absorbs vibration. Theory is that that you get a better transfer of vibration with the sustain block directly touching the base plate instead of it touching the shim, which is then touching the base plate.

9. snowy

snowy The Empire Strikes Back

holy shit why do you upload stuff like that? :D

also the whining-text in the beginning is horrible. And put a shirt on next time. No one likes your man boobs

10. eveningninja

eveningninja Skull Kid

Okay cool. And so... which block (size/material/shape/etc.) should I get for my LTD Alexi-600 amd Edwards RV? The same one would fit for both, right? Pretty sure I'm gonna do this. And can I get cheaper prices for this on ebay? I did a quick search and see a bunch of sustain blocks on there but don't know if they're the same ones.

@TheKid: you have improved padawan, hard to really see/hear with your camera though. Put the playing into context with some covers or originals broseph, those are much more interesting to watch :p

11. TheKid

TheKid OFR

@eveningninja: Cheers dude, yeah I'm working on my album atm but I was sick of not being able to think of a song to cover and only having my terrible vids from 2009 haha

Got any recommendations? I could use a challenge.

>implying it was an awful vid where I sucked
    >impying I was whining
    >implying I have man boobs

[​IMG]

<3

12. eveningninja

eveningninja Skull Kid

#29012 eveningninja, Aug 14, 2011
  13. Ensi

Ensi CAT WITH FUKKEN PODS

^Asians do not count

14. The Emptier

The Emptier t3h b3aSt0rZ

15. srob7001

I got the 37mm brass big block w/o the L piece. I guess you could go a little bigger but I didn't want to take any chances with it not fitting in the cavity.

As long as they are both Floyd Rose equipped guitars the sustain block can be swapped between the 2 guitars.

I too saw some cheaper ones on ebay, but I ordered mine direct from floydupgrades.com. I know they have a good reputation as they endorse alot of artists. Was like $40.00 or something. Probably have same results with an e-bay one. Read reviews on e-bay ones as if the screw holes are not perfect you will be fucked and it will not install properly.

As long as it's brass, 37mm, and for an OFR you are good to go.

Really curious to hear what you think about them. No ones else I know has even heard of this life changing mod before. IMO, this is up there with the MXR 10 band eq as something I will never go without again in my set up. It's one of those secret weapon kind of things.

16. TheKid

TheKid OFR

#29016 TheKid, Aug 15, 2011
  17. Mystique1721

Mystique1721 bass solo, take one

hey which guitar cables have you guys found to last you the longest?

also, don't know if anyone in here plays classical, but any suggestions for classical guitar strings?

18. eveningninja

eveningninja Skull Kid

Hm... any particular reason you got the non-L piece one? I'll definitely post my thoughts once I hear the difference, I'm excited :cool:

19. The Emptier

The Emptier t3h b3aSt0rZ

Dunno, I've had my monster cable for years

Yes, I use D'addario pro arte ej45 normal tensions. Very nice indeed

20. Mystique1721

Mystique1721 bass solo, take one

I hear monster cables are over-rated :p

And I tune my classical to D standard, but I have yet to change the original strings it came with...soo I'm guessing EJ46 hard tension would be good for this tuning, ja?