This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Join the Chaos

Want to join in with the rest of the Hate Crew? Sign up today!

Guitar Player's Thread

Discussion in 'CoB Off-topic' started by Blindfold, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Mystique1721

Mystique1721 bass solo, take one

ok.....was it really that bad? or you guys are too lazy to check it out? I think I'm gonna stop asking for advice on here. seems pretty futile.

2. Earth Breather

in the summer it was like 2-3 days
    now since its the school year just on the weekends. He's high everyday? damn :lol:

3. children of COB

children of COB Deadnight Drinker

It tells me that ''Error ocurred while processing request'' :ill:, but I liked the tone you had in your death metal song that you posted a while ago.

I know shit about EQing, that's why I didn't post anything at first. I mean, I find useless to post ''sounds nice!!!'' even though I know it feels nice to read nice reviews of your own stuff, but since I don't have many time and I thought people with more things to say would pop up I wrote nothing, :lol:

4. Mystique1721

yup. it's hard for those kinda people to be really dedicated to something, cuz weed basically rules their live. I've seen it happen to many people, sadly.

it's cool. but I know so many of you guys on here record, so there has to be a few of you with recording advice. but I'm gonna look for a recording forum or soemthing. or maybe i'll try that Andy Sneap forum.

5. children of COB

children of COB Deadnight Drinker

I record a lot, but I just record, :lol: The further I go about EQ stuff is panning the guitars and adding a bit of chorus to some leads with Cool Edit Pro. Anything else. What you hear in my recordings is exactly how it sounds through my earphones while I'm playing.

6. Earth Breather

[ame]http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=42932015[/ame]
    got this hammerfall solo by ear. its so fun to play. now I just need to clean up the sloppy parts rofl

7. the phenom

the phenom Member

Try double tracking the rhytm atleast. Then panning the tracks to each side. Make guitars louder and they seem a bit too muddy. I suggest also adding more bass. Otherwise i like it. Not bad...some sloppy spot but its ok. When i do rhytm tone i usually use a pretty mid scooped sound like lower mids,treble around 2 o clock or something, bass at noon or higher and gain at 11 o clock :) In the leads...treble should be high and mids also and gain can be let higher aswell and bass lowered. That way it cuts through much better.

Hope that helps.

8. Mystique1721

thank you for actually commenting :) There's not just one guitar doing the rhythm, both guitars are doing rhythm and lead, just not always at the same time. and they are panned to each side. I thought the bass was fairly audible, no? anyway, I know my tone still sucks. It's just freakin hard to tweek up a good tone. It'll come with time I hope. But I'll try out your settings for bass, treble, and mids.

9. Ensi

Ensi CAT WITH FUKKEN PODS

Pickup reccomendation question:

In my stars, I feel that my EMG-HZ is too muddy, not so clear, and not so "IM GONNA MUTILATE YOUR FACE!", if you get me?

I want a sharp, good mid, powerful, clear tone. I ofc want Alexi's TW tone, but it would be hard to get all the components. I was thinking about the Blackout, not because of Allu but because of all the good reviews. Anyone tried it? Does it meet my requirements?

If not, recommend any pup that does.

And I also don't have the chance to try most of 'em.. I don't live in a very big place. So i'll have to order the pickup, and just hope for the best, like I did with my Japan RR.

10. shredtastical

i own the blackout. it's very responsive. it's a subtle pickup, you won't notice a whole lot at first. i relate to the way you notice the absence of a good stereo system more than you notice its presence when you first get it. it's also one of the hottest (output) pups on the market right now.

and then there's the EMG 81, if you just want a standard emg tone. i do'nt really need to explain that one, do i? :p

11. the phenom

the phenom Member

No problem! It's very hard to find good recording tone. I got a couple good tones. Well the guitar didn't have that much bass and it wasn't eq'd tight enough so it wasn't that puncy. Just fuck around with the EQing and it will be ok!

Just to get you started: my Rhytm tone in a recording i did was:(I assume you have gearbox)

Drive: 12 o clock
    Bass: 12-13 o clock
    Middle: 9 o clock(yeah i know it's low but i used this to fill out the sound and it worked quite good:) )
    Treble:12 o clock
    Presence: 12 o clock(This is important! Too much will easily mud up your tone, you should add treble and presence in lead tones though but when you want those tight crushing chords it's gonna mud up a bit)

The amp simulations i used on that one is 1993 Solo 100 Head and 4x12 1996 Brit Celests v-30. :) That's just my rhytm tone and to get you started. You might find it close to what you want there. It isn't a setting youd play live with or anything its just that its fits and fills out alot of that "hollowness" in recordings and sounds nice and punchy. If you want it to be even punchier just lower gain a bit. There...i hope i helped. Might have sounded a bit like bullshit but thats how i got the tone for this recording which was actually my frst recording. Don't worry bout the drums...just shitty Guitar Pro drums :lol:

--->http://www.sendspace.com/file/ngk7io

12. the phenom

the phenom Member

Hmmm...i've always had in my mind a MM-04 and a Seymour Duncan TB5 would sound awesome. The TB5 is awesome as that aswell...i bet that could work. And i doubt you want to leave your booster hole open, do you?

13. SteveMCsteve

SteveMCsteve Member

:lol: at I"M GONNA MUTILATE YOUR FACE. But yea the EMG-HZs weren;t my pickups either. I have a Seymour Duncan SH-6 instead in my Arrowhead, and I like them so far.

14. Ensi

Nope, I don't, but I really hate the EMG-PA2, it's utter shit.
    I recently for this aprox. 800$ scholarship (?) this month, and I want to spend it on guitar related things. I also have to buy books, but I have all books exept one.

But what I was thinking was that I could just get an active pickup, instead of booster (mm-04) and a passive pickup. I don't mind not having a booster tbh.

15. the phenom

the phenom Member

EMG 81....it kicks yer ass :lol:

Seriously spoken though, I love my EMG pups :) The HZ sucks IMO though and the PA-2/Afterburner were worthless. Just felt like giving it more gain. I've heard the MM-04 is alot different though so thats why i said about that and SH-5...

16. <-Warheart->

<-Warheart-> † Fuck You Very Much †

That's exactly what I do NOW. I used to practice properly but I don't anymore and I find it more enjoyable. I used to hate doing it because it was so boring and I didn't find myself improving much.

Seems like everyone likes this track. I think we'll use this, then Technical Difficulties after or a slow one after (like the Guthrie one) and then RD after that, to avoid doing too much metal/shred.

Hmm, seems a bit difficult to come up with something that would fit imo.

Depends how shit (or good) the band are.

That was really cool! You've definitely progressed loads since you first joined, I look forward to hearing the vocal version.

Nope, just practice more and use HARD picking and WIDE vibrato.

I hope PG won't show something he's shown 50million times already. He's writing a new album, maybe he could give us a lick from that or something from SFBADR.

Haha, I saw this the other day!!

I couldn't hear MUCH difference but test 2 sounded the best to me, not too thin and not too bassy.

Nice!! You're another player that I've noticed has improved loads since the beginning, great job!

J-50BC? :p

Do the Real ESP models have alder bodies too?

And here's two videos I recorded yesterday for fun:
    [ame=http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=pNADyugEYvA]Sinergy - Wake Up In Hell[/ame]
    [ame=http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2VAUXtWP4Wk]Kylähullut - Vitun Urpo![/ame]

Btw, what does "Vitun Urpo!" actually mean?

17. Ensi

They are a good, decent band. With nice ok songs, tho they are lacking the POWEROFSOLOS. Which they assigned me to do.

J-50BC alone won't make that sound:mad:

.. i wud need teh GEEEPWEEONETHWOUSHAND !

Nah seriously, I read that the J-50BC had little gain and not so much punch. I want a pickup with face mutilating razor sharp powers without the need of a preamp or booster. Actually.. I just want something better than my HZ's. I think i'm gonna order the blackouts.

18. SomeoneWild

SomeoneWild Fiesta's Angels

^Yeah if you're going active, get a Blackout.

Btw, seems like the Alexi signature guitars have EMG-HZs and not Blackouts anymore according to espguitars.com. Makes sense since alexi isn't endorsed by Seymour Duncan anymore.

19. ShadowchildCOBHC

well ive heard stuff about the blackout,and i also want somethin better then MY DAMN HZ haha get EMG 81's then,im in the same position as you right now whether Blackouts or EMGs

20. SteveMCsteve

SteveMCsteve Member