This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Join the Chaos

Want to join in with the rest of the Hate Crew? Sign up today!

Guitar Player's Thread

Discussion in 'CoB Off-topic' started by Blindfold, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Earth Breather

2. children of COB

children of COB Deadnight Drinker

Something quick that I remembered, not sure if you did that or not: for the rythm, don't record one track and then copy it and pan one to the left and one to the right, record 2 tracks (playing the exact same thing but recorded twice). They're always slightly different which gives it a better touch IMO. Same goes for the leads if you want them doubled and panned.

I'm really happy with my EMG 81, but seeing as everyone says that the Blackouts are the evolution of the 81 and that they have the good things from it but not the bad ones I supose that the smart choice are the Blackouts.

Listening :)

With that money you can do whatever you want :lol: Even order both the Blackout and the EMG HZ+MM04 combo :lol:

That's ok for me. My vote goes for that :lol:

Fucking idiot IIRC :lol:

:lol: This post made my day. About the pickup, what I already told you stands as my opinion so far.

3. Ensi

Ensi CAT WITH FUKKEN PODS

4. inhe

inhe Member

Yes, exactly. This will give the effect of a "fuller" sound, where as it won't when you copy and paste (unless you do some changes either with the eq, or the time placement). So just play the same thing twice (or if you are harmonizing the rythms, just play the different harmonies.

5. the phenom

the phenom Member

I agree! Thats how i did on the recording i submitted some posts up. Not on the tapping because that was impossible to get synched anyway.

6. inhe

inhe Member

I never double-track leads, unless they're harmonized.

7. Muffin

Muffin Dusk..

I tried quad tracking with the same clip once

it sounded like teh guitar fell down a phaser well, it was fucking horrible :lol:

8. Pђoenix

Pђoenix Phagist Phanboy

Yey! Look what came today..

[​IMG]

Also came with a t-shirt which is far too fucking small - I actually think it's children's size. Trying to stretch it out to a large as of now :lol:

[​IMG]

Also great stuff @ Earth Breather + Mitch

9. sir Royal Eddie

sir Royal Eddie Awesome Member

Instead of getting the SD blackouts and attempting the EMG 18volt mod... wait for the new EMG X's that come out first quarter in 2009. I wouldn't doubt if this is what Alexi is using now, since NO ONE knows 100% for sure, Brendon Small (of DETHKLOK/metalocalypse) is also a artist to be using them right now. They're not out yet and no one really knows about them.. Basically they're EMG's that sound just like, if better than the actual 18volt mod of the 81 and 85. They're not as compressed and have more head room, which is basically what everyones been looking for in EMG's... I was never an EMG user, but I definitely think I'll be picking up a set. There's a Brendob Small interview where he explains them a bit, but not much more than I have if anyone is interested a little bit more. I called EMG myself to ask them about these pickups and they told me so much that make these pickups sound awesome. Probably a very promising tone. Looking forward to these.

10. SomeoneWild

SomeoneWild Fiesta's Angels

I was never much into active pups but this sounds interesting. You have any sources?

11. Dunununuuu-NUNUNU

Dunununuuu-NUNUNU Li3k omgz0r?

^Yeah, definately sounds interesting.
    I've always hated EMGs, but it sounds interesting - even if I'm not gonna buy them.

12. Muffin

Muffin Dusk..

EMG X eyh.. Ive heard stuff about them, but not this much, thanks for the info!

i myself actually really like the EMG81. I have one in my Jackson Kelly, and i love it :lol:

Gavin of A.. Well, formerly Alestorm kept bugging me to try the 18V mod, so far i havent really gotten around to it.. I'm contemplating making a system to switch from 9V to 18V and back. Due to the way its wired its not as simple as adding a switch, but Gavin said its no point, i'll never want to go back to 9V after 18 :lol:..

13. Dunununuuu-NUNUNU

That's what I've heard to. 18v mod is supposed to sound awesome, and the clips I've heard of it is like really fucking punchy and clear. I still prefer the tone of passives though, but I can easily see an idea in choosing EMGs with 18v mod as opposed to passives. They sound a whole lotta different, but still like guitars.
    Normal EMGs (9v) sounds like farts and nails on blackboards to me.

14. the phenom

the phenom Member

Yeah i figured as much :lol:

I actually once got the tapping right when double tracking. That was awesome....

Shame i deleted it! :erk: Nah i actually only double track the rhytm...Haven't even tried double tracking any leads and i don't think theres much point in that either.

15. GuitariSteve

GuitariSteve Member

I didn't log in yesterday and didn't even play the guitar, I had too much homework and things to study and I still have to study today but I'm pissed of mathematics for today.

@ Mystique: I think it's a matter of tone. It could sounds a lot better. Another thing is that the drums are boring but I myself suck at tabbing drums, even if I have good ideas. Also, pinch harmonics without vibrato suck. ;) I don't know anything about recording.
    I'd so like to play in a band too. My first gig was very short but awesome. We played in a bar with maybe 15 guitars on the stage :lol: a very great bass player but a shitty drummer but it was awesome. The crowd (mainly parents, friends, sisters and brothers) really enjoyed the show. A lot of guitarist were true beginners but I and some friends rocked out. :kickass:

@ Lowberg: Hmm I will listen to them one more time tomorrow, I didn't heard that much difference between the three ones but I'm a bit too tired.

@ Earth Breather: I listened to Hammerfall and even went to one of their gig's but I don't listen do them anymore, I don't know why. Anyway, that's well played.

@ Ensi: The EMG81 is very 'transparent'. It will sound good only if you have a good guitar with good wood. Alder is not that much special.

@ The Phenom: I friend of mine who's living in France will sell me his JE-1200. I have a TB-4 so IF he really sells me his JE-1200, I'll told you what I think of that.

@ Mitch: Nice. I was not expecting those pictures at then end of 'Vitun Urpo' but it seriously made me :lol: even if I had already seen them before. The 'Wake Up in Hell' cover was very well played. Seeing accurate play makes me want to improve myself more and more and I really like your picking hand. I mean the way you pick the strings. Very nice picking. And about technique, you told that now you don't practice anymore. But don't you think that "shred beginners" who don't want to shred sloppily should first practice for some time before 'only play&jam'?

@ Dununu... (I won't count how many nu's): I've practised sunday and it feels really challenging and exciting when you feel like "yeah, play that lick some more times and you'll get it!'

16. Dunununuuu-NUNUNU

^That's exactly the way I feel when practicing!

It took me a long time to get that feeling (before, I always felt like I was too bad, but that's because listening to PG makes you go crazy :p), but it makes you want to practice!

17. children of COB

children of COB Deadnight Drinker

I do it sometimes but instead of double tracking just copy the same and pan 100% R and L because that way it sounds clearer I don't know why.

Really? How did that happen? I quad guitars sometimes when I can't get enough punch and they work fine :ill:

Congrats dude, and the shirt must be an S or something, but still not far from what I usually wear. I mean, I don't wear breathtakingly tight shirts like some people do, but I don't like them to be loose as fuck as rap people do f.e. :lol:

My RR24 is alder and my EMG 81 sounds fucking awesome :lol:

18. <-Warheart->

<-Warheart-> † Fuck You Very Much †

Indeed. My BC Rich has basswood and my Jackson Stars has alder. They both have J-50BC's in them and the BCR sounds MUCH better. That's why I asked earlier if the real ESP's had alder bodies, because I'm not a fan of it for body woods. My new RR will have poplar, and I'm dying to try that.

Thank you very much! I appreciate the comments, especially since I'm not liking my picking too much! I need more PG style...

And yes, practising for beginners is a MUST. I was only saying to Brad that I don't practice anymore because I've pretty much got the foundations of all techniques (except 8 finger tapping :rolleyes:) so if I wanna play something, I can pretty much get it, it'll be sloppy at first but I can usually clean it up a bit if I play it over and over (which I guess IS a form of practice...)

19. Altitudes

Altitudes Stay Frosty

^This. Good job! You have gotten better.

Same. I don't practice scales and exercises anymore, I have most of what I need down. Learning songs IS practice. However, I am very rusty because I don't have time to play guitar as much anymore, mainly on weekends. I think I'll go play now, haha!

I love the vids you post :kickass: Always makes me want to learn some more Sinergy!

Edit: Are you playing through your computer's speakers or using headphones? My computer has too much latency to play through the speakers...

I'm not sure if I said already, but I will participate in the forum jam. The backing track Earth Breather posted, correct?

20. the phenom

the phenom Member

Or maybe its a slimfit or girlie. :lol: I got XS/S in shirt size :lol: