This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Guitar sound

Discussion in 'F.O.H.' started by Pharaoh's Curse, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Pharaoh's Curse

I use a Kemper for my guitar tracks. Been working on some new Rock style songs, (Think old Rainbow, Purple etc.)

I usually send out for drums, do a bass DI for processing later, tracking vocals and mixing at a local studio.

My guitar sound is more modern than the aforementioned styles, but I often wonder if it's right for the mix. I think that any sound off the Kemper will probably work, they all sound pretty good to me...

Should I just pick a couple amps that I like and go with them? I found a JCM800 and Plexi profile that sound good to my ears. Sometimes I think all the various profiles and re-amping bogs me down and I worry about a sound more than just playing the parts and laying down a solid performance.

Any thoughts?

2. He's Dead, Jim

I would agree with your last sentence generally. I can spend forever tweaking a profile to get it perfect instead of writing and learning new theory concepts and playing techniques. But it's also important to have a tone that sounds good when you play it. I have a favorites list in my Kemper Rig Manager with a 5150, a JCM800, a Soldano for leads, and a clean delay/acoustic thing. I only use those when I write so I don't get bogged down in tone fiddling, then I reamp at the very end.

3. Pharaoh's Curse

So you still record a DI and reamp with the Kemper at the end? Maybe I will do both at the same time (DI and a regular track) that way if the sound I chose really isn't cutting it, I can reamp the DI.

4. He's Dead, Jim

Yeah, I just set the normal output for my Kemper to master when I'm writing/dicking around and change it to master/git left when I record, and record to a stereo track. Then if I feel the need to reamp later, split the stereo track to mono left/right and send it back through the Kemper for re-amping.

5. Jormyn

Jormyn Member

In general my Kemper is set to Git / Mod Mono or something - I'll use the delay and reverb for monitoring on leads and stuff, but I don't want to print them. I've got a few profiles that are my go-to "will work decently for putting a song together" tones, and then if I feel like something different I just pop the input over to SPDIF, add a hardware send from the DI track, and hit play.