This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Halcyon Way - Conquer

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by drmetal8, Aug 25, 2014.

1. drmetal8

drmetal8 Graphic Design

Anybody else pick up the new Halcyon Way disc "Conquer" yet?
    I'm really digging the aggression on this album.
    They are hitting on all cylinders. This is now my favorite HW album!:headbang:

[​IMG]

2. Mardoch

Mardoch Defender of the Universe

Incoming TDD hate.

3. TENTH DREAMER DECEIVER

TENTH DREAMER DECEIVER Halcyon Way Sufferer

No hate unless they end up on next year's Accept tour. Haven't heard a note since their first album.

4. AngraRULES

AngraRULES Member

Mwahahaha...

At least give the new one a chance. :)

5. drmetal8

drmetal8 Graphic Design

Did I miss something? What would cause any Halcyon Way hate exactly? Please enlighten.

6. TENTH DREAMER DECEIVER

You do have a point. Are HW still trying to be all things to all people? Melody then growl then clean singing back to growl etc?

7. TENTH DREAMER DECEIVER

There's a certain Angra fan with special booking powers.

8. AngraRULES

AngraRULES Member

It's a very heavy album combining some of the elements that make Halcyon Way what they are. There's a fine balance between absolute brutality and melodic moments. Yes, there are growls and cleans. This is the most technical HW album to date if you ask me. No, I don't think it's a 10/10 (as some may expect just because I book them), but it's my favorite HW album to date. :)

9. drmetal8

drmetal8 Graphic Design

Totally agree. A good example is "Every Second Counts" which is not the heaviest song on the album, but the chorus is killer. Could be a potential single.

10. VenomGA

VenomGA At War With Stan

can't wait to hear it. Loved the last album with the new singer

11. Mardoch

Gave the new album a shot a bit ago, but they still don't land well with me. Oh well, I guess.

12. crazycamera

crazycamera I take pics....that ROCK!

Some proggers are purest when it comes to Prog Metal. They seem to never get any further than Symphony X or Sabotage. Personally, I like all kinds of Metal.
    Progressive metal
    Death metal
    Symphonic metal
    Thrash Metal
    Etc.

That's what is so great about Halcyon Way. They blend so many different genres and they pull it off very well. Thus, satisfying my diverse range of metal genres.

13. Purveyor Of Evil

Purveyor Of Evil Heavy Metal, INC.

He doesn't like HW because they are all under 55 years old.

14. halcyonwayband@aol.com

halcyonwayband@aol.com Guitars - Halcyon Way

What's up all, haven't been on here for a while. I had to laugh at TDD....us trying to be all things to all people? pfffft

We do what we want when we write. All we care about is writing the best songs we can, and if it goes heavy with some death vox, great. If it's all clean vox, great. But at the end of the day, we write what we want to hear and don't really care about what the critics or internet trolls will say. And to me that is a FAR more 'progressive' attitude than recycling the same damn harpsichord arpeggio patch over the same damn generic power metal riff and double bass pattern, singing about elves or board games or whatever, and basically trying to re-create Images & Words or some old Gamma Ray album. Or we'd get a hot female singer, layer some strings over a syncopated chug, and go with that. And that is what most people call "progressive". And you all know it's true.

We don't even really consider ourselves to be a prog band....we describe it as modern metal with clean vocals. Some people get what we do, some don't, and that's totally ok with us. Having said that, the reviews have been outstanding of our new album, which we like to hear. But we're going to continue to do what WE like to do, and we're going to continue to work our asses off touring and recording in spite of there being far less than $0 dollars involved, and that's that. We have a lot of influences - power, thrash, prog, death, black - and we come by what we do honestly.

But trying to be all things to all people? Whatever, haha....if that were the case we wouldn't be playing metal at all. We'd be doing 80's cover songs and making a living at it. Not touring in a sprinter eating and showering at a truck stop every day.

I love you TDD, you're my buddy. I'll hook you up with some old vinyl, I think I have a Hawkwind album somewhere I can let you borrow. =)

15. nailz

nailz Member

Fuck you, Jon, that riff is MAGICAL.

16. Mardoch

Even if your tunes don't wave my flag I'm still 100% behind your approach and attitude. I hope the new one does you guys wonders.

17. AngraRULES

AngraRULES Member

Congratulations to Halcyon Way for achieving #41 on the Billboard Heatseekers chart. It shows that their hard work is paying off.

Conquer keeps growing on me every single day. You guys deserve every bit of success you have and more. \m/

18. crazycamera

crazycamera I take pics....that ROCK!

:kickass:

19. TENTH DREAMER DECEIVER

Listened to a sample and bought the above-mentioned song for $.49. Like the Vince Neil & Michael Sweet influenced vocals.

20. halcyonwayband@aol.com

halcyonwayband@aol.com Guitars - Halcyon Way

#points at the unicorn. #points at Nailz. Gallops into the rainbowy mist while #pointing at something in the distance, but looks epic whilst doing so.