This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Happy New Year

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

Man, how long did I sleep for last night?! I went to bed in 2013 and the next thing you know it's next year! Amazing! o_O

Hope everyone had a good and safe time. I did an end of year blog on t he LORD site if you're interested - check it out here: http://www.lord.net.au/blog/new-year-new-horizons/

2. Winmar

Winmar Pillock of society

I got an email notification or something that you'd posted this, so read it earlier. Not exactly sure how, but whatever!

It's all been happening anyway. I'd like to check out more Blackened Angel stuff. After reading the blog I wanted to ask you about the click track, but I think there might be a more suitable (musical) thread for that question. :)

3. Lord Tim

Meh... these days any reply to a thread keeps the tumbleweeds away so I'll answer here! :p

What did you want to know? :)

4. Nebulous

Nebulous Daniel

Indeed, happy 2014 to all!
    After last year being a big one I'm looking forward to taking it as it comes this year, enjoying married life and music more than ever.

5. Winmar

Winmar Pillock of society

Good to hear! I take it you got married last year?

On the click tracks, what exactly does the drummer hear which tells him how to play? Is it like playing to a metronome? I take it then if the drummer is keeping time, the rest of the band will follow and all will be fine and dandy. Showing my ignorance here a bit, but then....I'm not in a band. :)

I have wondered for a while how various bands have recorded parts played at exactly the right time. Steel Panther was an example the other week. Michael had some taped vocals to assist him at times, and then there was the whole backdrop which synced with the song. Would Stix have been using a click track?

6. Lord Tim

Yeah, that's exactly it. It's usually a small media player (we use an iPod or something similar). One channel is going out to the PA for the audience to hear which has all of the extra parts and the other is going to the drummer, which is more or less a metronome.

We have quiet instruments in there as well since not every song has keyboards or whatever all the way through, so there'd be long stretches of just "click click click click" and it would be very easy to fall out of sync and have no idea until 3 minutes later and everyone is going "woah, what the hell?!"

But yeah, it's been great for us. It's let us keep a handle on the tempo a little more, and all of the bits where we've thought "ah, if only we could bring in another couple of guitarists, some vocalists and a keyboard player for that one bit of the song to make it really rip" we're able to do now. A great example is Battle Of Venarium. There's NO WAY we could do that live without the backing because the synths are every bit as important to the song as every other part. If you take those out, the guitar line is just a repeated riff that is missing what it's counterplaying along to.

#6 Lord Tim, Jan 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  7. Nebulous

Nebulous Daniel

Indeed we did. Spent the year planning the wedding and doing an online managment diploma. Big mistake!
    This year is already different, we have some time off and time away planned within the first couple months.

EDIT: Big mistake to plan/ have a wedding and do a course at the same time, not to get married in general. Haha.