This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Hard rock/alternative metal song "Witch" (original) critics please!

Discussion in 'Practice Room' started by MoTang, Jun 3, 2014.

1. MoTang

MoTang Member

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6010620/Witch with RFR 2.mp3

I'm not so sure if I am completely proud of how this turned out, mostly because I am maybe not the greatest fan of how the vocals were sung. I don't know, maybe I should have pumped him up a bit before he sang? The delivery doesn't fit. Like he has no rasp in his voice which would seem to be better here. I was kind of going for a Linkin Park kind of feel.

When comparing to other mixes in this genre, it is all right, but I know that I can improve the low end. Also, the vocals. I don't know..they seem to sit all right, but man that tone and he's pitchy at parts (yes I autotuned the vocals, line by line but it seemed to not help at some parts)

Also, I realize there is some background hiss in some of the vocals and that's because I didn't think and used the singers own cable which was an XLR to 1/4 inch cable. My audio interface produces less preamp gain when using 1/4 connection instead of XLR to XLR so I got a lot of preamp noise (due to me cranking the preamp) on some of the takes before I got the proper cable, and he didn't want to re do them.

He was happy with the final result, but meh...I don't know. I need some fresh ears to help me out.

Thanks.

2. diseasedbeing

diseasedbeing Member

The music is good. I like the song writing as well, but yes, get a new vocalist. He has no drive and horridly out of pitch. His voice doesnt fit the music. Dont waste good song writing on that ;)

3. MoTang

MoTang Member

Thanks for the input.

I guess I should have noted that I'm not in a band or anything. He just approached me wanting to record a song. He initially wrote it but it was really barebones with a simple three chord structure. I basically helped him out and wrote the song using the chord structure.

Mix wise do you have any input?

Any more opinions from other people?

4. MoTang

MoTang Member

Well I updated the mix if anyone cares from other critiques on other boards. Yes the vocals still aren't the greatest but I am focusing more on the mix itself. When hearing other mixes on the genre I feel that my kick bass relationship isn't good. Any other critiques?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6010620/Witch with RFR 4.mp3