This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Have you ever bought CD just for cover art?

Discussion in 'Travis Smith' started by 1831, Oct 1, 2005.

1. 1831

1831 Guest

As it stands in the title...

2. Eyesore

Eyesore Member

Yes, many times.

3. Rex

Rex Member

Lots of times when I was younger, but not so much any more, unless I think its friggin awesome and I know nothing about the band.

4. PyroVesten

PyroVesten I'm not Pyro

I must admit to having purchased many albums AS MUCH for the art as the music, but never for the art alone. For me, if an album is great that's great. If an album is great and has great artwork then it's fucking superb.

Still, if I hated 'Still Life' I am sure I would have bought the vinyl I own just for the artwork.

5. Illnath

Illnath Member

Yup.... I bought the album Fallout by Slumber... The album was cheap and I liked the cover...And it's a really good album

6. Hügelgräber

Hügelgräber Hügelgrab-Graber

Never.

But I always enjoy a good cover very much. I can remember how amazed I was by the original "Enemies Of Reality"-booklet.

7. NastyJoan

NastyJoan Member

When I was young (almost 14 years old) I found a deteriorated The Number of the Beast vinyl, when I saw the cover I felt an instantly craving inside to buy the album, even when I didn't know NOTHING about the band (here in Chile at the time there was ZERO magazines, radio stations, TV shows, etc... who promotes metal music)

Two days after that I collect the money and went to the store and bought the LP, it was very cheap and had a lot of scratchs on it..... the rest was history..... 15 years of metal head about now....

That was the first and the last time that I bought an album by his cover... The rest of Maiden albums I also bought them without hearing them, but I ordered on a record store I also never saw the cover before I had them on my hands (Imagine my surprise when I receive Somewhere in time!!!!!!!)

8. Julian Zembrowski

Yeah of course, actually sometimes the only reason I buy an album is for the art.

9. Procella

Procella MEMENTO MORI

Katatonia "Last Fair Deal Gone Down'. I bought a beautiful cover and I discovered beautiful music.

10. Babykabob

Babykabob Jake-RTM

I got the first Demons and Wizards cd just because of the art, and ended up loving the album.

11. Kenneth R.

Kenneth R. Cináed

I often buy for cover art if I'm buying a few cds. I buy one that i'm certain I want, and then check out what's on sale, and if anything in there has cool cover art, I'll give it a go.

12. Sadguru

Sadguru In my dream...

Winds - Reflection of the I

13. chomps

chomps Member

I could tell that I would like Novembre's Novembrine Waltz and Arcturus' The Sham Mirrors merely by looking at the cover work. With art work that good, you know the music quality is going to be top notch.

14. La Rocque

La Rocque I am that I am

15. Skaldir

Skaldir formerly known as Unicorn

When I started listening to Metal 1990 the layout was a important thing for me. there were these amazing drawings by Dan Seagrave which at least made me listen to the album.

And respect to Travis, I really like your stuff, I'm a Katatonia and Anathema fan, that's the way I got into your stuff.
    Keep up the good work!

16. Md Player

Md Player Demons race into my eyes

Yes i bought few cds, i think cover gives an important first apperance on every album. if you like the album you like more because of the cover.
    Just like The cover art of Sadus-Elements of Anger and Control Denied-The Fragile Art Of Existence effected me.I liked these albums much because the cover art that Travis made is amazing.

17. Bariel

Bariel Member

Yup, all Judas Priest albums:)

18. Gabet

Gabet New Metal Member

Arcturus Sideshow Symphonies, it's just great, the band photos, the space landscapes, the cd, in fact I made a wallpaper keeping the same style.

Here wallpaper

Salu2, awesome forum!:headbang:

19. Seems like Trav

Seems like Trav No Such Thing

I still gotta get that

20. Divatkreació

Divatkreació Nebulous termini

I've done the opposite, I like Rapture a lot and decided to head into recordshop and purchase their debut but the artwork http://themetalmatrix.com/covers/bfc1c86d_1.jpeg was so awful I didn't want it. Just plain terrible. Oh yeah and I bought the new Amorphis single just for the cover knowing that they haven't been musically on the right tracks for a long time.