This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. Just a heads up... In the next week or two we will be making some major upgrades to the site to bring the software and server fully up to date. While the upgrade happens the site will be offline for the day. There will be some quirkiness after the upgrade, but we'll get it all sorted out.
    Dismiss Notice

Help keep me sane!

Discussion in 'Katatonia' started by Mantraschism, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Mantraschism

Mantraschism Skáld

I know this is way off-topic, but I'm overseas for the first time ever, and away from my girl - for a whole year! So you can imagine that my mind's rather in upheaval right now, so please help me stay sane - entertain me or something! I don't know what I'm hoping to accomplish with this thread; I guess I'm grasping for threads of familiarity or something.

But yeah.... Any sage advice or anything, guys? Personal stories of being away from home in a strange land?

2. Phoenix5

Phoenix5 d3v4s7a710n

I'm currently away from mine for about 6 months, but we see each other every now and then. The first month will probably be a bear. Once you make some friends and start doing some stuff that's fun it'll be easier to deal with. Just talk to her every day and make sure she is happy!

:)

3. Lisra

Lisra starlight spectre

^seconded.

I see my girl about every three months (though some americans might laugh at the distance^^) and talking to ehr and doing your small or large bit to keep her happy is the way.
    Use skype when phonebill tries to eat you.

4. Kenneth R.

Kenneth R. Cináed

If it's strong enough there's nothing to worry about. My job is 90% world travel. Imagine it's about the same, but I am not concerned because the money I make now will contribute to our future together when we can buy a house.

5. leliel

leliel New Metal Member

i agree, just talk to her everyday and make sure she is happy. make some friends so you can keep some sanity and not stay home and worry all day. i hope everything will work out for you though. good luck!:)

6. Richard Mongler

Richard Mongler The dream is dead.

Here's an interesting story.

I masturbated. I came.

7. Meanspark

Meanspark Member

Im also in position to give you some advices. I also been away for a whole year (9 months to be exact) and I left my girl away from me. The first days, or the first weeks are really difficult. Change your mind. Tell yourself that you're living your hardest moments and things will just go better. I have seen her during that time, do it if you can afford it. Dont start to drink man, Im serious

In my personnal experience, my relationship got improved during the year, we didnt break up, keep contact with her every day, twice a day if you can (internet is cool for that). I remember I had some difficulties to speak with her to the telephone in the first days, it's normal because you love her so much. I bought a phone card for long distance (just cheaper). D3v4S7A710N is right about meeting new people, you have to make new friends, they will change your mind.

Finally, I have a lot of friends in the canadian forces. They have to be away for long periods and sometimes more than a single time in a lifetime. They are not stronger inside, they control their pain and their emotions. It depends of your age, if you have kids its may be difficult.

good luck and email me if you need to talk.

8. Lisra

Lisra starlight spectre

Remember: Loneliness is a disease.

9. bosomblob

bosomblob Member

I too have a girlfriend.

10. nizzon

nizzon f.k.a Qth

Make sure to use condoms so you dont come back to her with some strange STD.

11. Vincent J.

Vincent J. Member

Tasteless

12. Kitiini

Kitiini Member

One thing I have noticed about all the long distance relationships of my friends etc... They just simply doesn't work

13. Phoenix5

Phoenix5 d3v4s7a710n

Agreed.

14. MiniMoose

MiniMoose Member

(jeez. here I go again)

A friend of mine had a distance relationship with a girl he met in the american army (he lived in norway at the time) for 4 years. Saw her every 6 months or so in that time. They are now married with kids. So it can work very well. It's just a matter of good and open communication..you got to trust each other. It's not easy, sure...but it all depends on how well you communicate...and how much you mean to each other (that's right, I don't use the word love, cause it's a silly word..to me that is) The younger you are, the harder distance relationships are I guess..but then again, so is living together. It's gonna be a struggle no matter what. That's life...

15. nizzon

nizzon f.k.a Qth

I agree too.

16. Phoenix5

Phoenix5 d3v4s7a710n

Oh! The key is optimism.

17. Mantraschism

Mantraschism Skáld

Thanks to most of you who replied. =P Very good advice, guys. I'm sure it'll be fine... I just have to get used to this god-damned place first. Everything is very sickly yellow, and the buildings look very similar. To quote C3PO, 'What a desolate place this is.'

18. Phoenix5

Phoenix5 d3v4s7a710n

Where are you now?

19. BloodSword

BloodSword Member

This is a growing life experience for you. Keep your heart clean and your head clear. You know, man-up! Thanx for all you work and service. You will look back on this someday and smile, knowing the lessons you learned.

20. Lisra

Lisra starlight spectre

Wrong :)