This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

help me decide, i was offered a trade.

Discussion in 'Backline' started by aviel, Feb 6, 2013.

1. aviel

aviel Member

I currently own an Engl powerball and a peavey classic 50 2X12 combo.
    i was offered for an Engl e530 preamp trade against the peavey..
    the peavey is more expensive, but in a pretty bad shape, it working great, but it got like 10 years. and the engl is new. what do you suggest??

2. MatrixClaw

MatrixClaw Member

I don't know where you live, but the Engl is worth more on the used market here. I can pick up the Classic 50 for like $300.

That being said, they're vastly different sounds, so it should really be pretty obvious which one you want based on your own needs...

3. aviel

aviel Member

well i dont have any "needs" i just have the classic 50 here and i am not using it, but i do like its crunch overtone sound and i think if the e530 also have some of that more low gain feeling? something the powerball doesnt have.
    also something to consider- i dont have a power amp, so, i guess i will be using it with the powerball power section? but then, will i notice any bid differeance? since the sound is vastly colored by the power section.

@ MatrixClaw, i think it was you who compared a while ago different speakers with the e530? i still have you files, i really love what you got there.

4. aviel

aviel Member

also i am talking about a combo peavely classic 50. on the used market they sell them for like 650$ (while new one costs 1500$). the e530 is being sold new from 1000$

5. MatrixClaw

MatrixClaw Member

So am i. There's a Classic 50 4x10 on my CL for $350 and a 2x12 for $450 right now, both of which have been up quite a while.

6. Terminus

Terminus Member

I don't know, you already have a powerball so it's not like you're getting something completely different with the e530. I'd probably look for something else. I had one of those peaveys but just the 1x12 version and liked it for clean and gritty sounds but the open back never worked for heavier stuff. I dont know the e530 never seemed to be one of engl's higher-end amps imo, more like a budget amp, they can go for $450 or less pretty much whenever I see them.

7. Sweetnothing

Sweetnothing ¯\(º_o)/¯

^agree with Mike there. You've got the engl territory covered.

I also liked the classic, not for heavier styles, but it's a nice amp for cleans, gritty tones and less agressive tones.

8. aviel

aviel Member

thanks guys, thats what i was thiniking also but wanted to be sure i am not missing a good chance. gonna stay with the classic then