This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

high gain tone quest - input needed

Discussion in 'F.O.H.' started by miche, Apr 16, 2011.

1. miche

miche Member

Hi everyone,

I have been struggling with reamping for quite some time now, unable to get the tone I wanted with high gain amps. I feel like I need some exterior point of view to try to unblock what is preventing me from reaching my dream tone (or something that moves towards it). I would be very grateful for your diagnostic.

Here is the gear:

- Schecter with 707
    - signal is split with a radial jx2
    - DI tone is sent to an API 512c
    - the audio interface is a motu 24io
    - the peak point of the recorded DI is ~-4.5db

That's for the DI recording. Now the signal is sent through:
    - black reamp box: volume set to max
    - maxon od-9, every knob at 12:00
    - peavey 6505 with the settings:
    [] rythm channel
    [] pre: 4
    [] bass: 6.5
    [] mid: 1.25
    [] high: 4.5
    [] postgain: 1.5
    [] reso: 7
    [] presence: 8
    - mesa os slanted
    - single sm57: classic position pointing at the dustcap/cone junction, very slightly off axis (the head looks inside the speaker), standing on the quiet right part of the bottom right speaker at ~0.75'' from the grill (grill was removed, but it should be at this distance if it was still there).

Here is a improvised riff, with two guitars:
    _reampPeaveyMesa_01.mp3 - 0.77MB

I feel like my tone has many fizz / resonating frequencies / harshness / no headroom / too dark. The bass frequencies are muddy, the 1k mids are not there, the 3k – 6k is very harsh with loads of fizzes and resonating frequencies. The highs are deafened, the tone is not bright. It sounds far away.

According to you guys, what is it I do wrong? Any ideas, hints, feelings?

What may be wrong? Mic placement? Room? Amp settings? Cables? Any gear? Electric current?

I need foreign and objective ears.

Again, I would be very grateful for any help.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT - NEW SAMPLES POSTED

Here are new samples with a few settings / placement changes that were posted below.

- maxon drive lowered to 0, peavey mids set to 2.5 and mic moved for like 3 millimeters. no treatment at all:
    _reampPeaveyMesa_02.mp3 - 0.77MB

- same guitars but with bass and drums. No treatment on the guitars or on the master buss besides a gclip:
    _reampPeaveyMesa_02_fullmix.mp3 - 0.76MB

2. Maybelater

Maybelater Member

I'm far from a recording guru but I feel you should judge the tone in a mix. You would be surprised what sounds good when everything starts to blend together. JMHO

3. Jormyn

Jormyn Member

That tone doesn't sound bad to me. A small cut around 600 and a small boost around 1k would probably give it a little more balls, but I'd be quite happy with it.

4. HvO

HvO Member

Drive too?? You should test it without Drive by the OD-9.
    I think the fizz will be gone.

5. ttrentt

ttrentt Member

I bet would sound good in a mix.

6. miche

miche Member

Thank you very much for taking the time to check my sample and giving me your impressions.

@Maybelater & ttrentt: you are right, it is always good to judge a tone in a mix as well. That's where your guitars are going to end, so most definitely: it is a good idea to listen to them with the rest of the instruments as well. I quickly programmed / recorded drums and bass lines. But still, I feel like it won't be enough. I really would like to listen to the guitars by themselves and find them exciting.

@: Jormyn interesting, that's not exactly where I would have cut (lower). I would actually have boosted that 600 area, I fill it quite dug in there. I played with your recommendation for a bit and felt I had to change something on the amp settings since the current EQ balance was wrong.

@HvO: I may be using the word "fizz" wrong. For me, it is the horrible series of hisses that kill my ears between approximatively 5k and 6k. There are always a few (resonating? that's how they are called?) frequencies that I want to notch in there. Can you hear those? They make the tone very aggressive and unpleasant. But if you remove them, you kill the sound. It goes too dark.

I lowered the drive to 0 as you suggested, it doesn't really help in this area. But you are right, the tone may be a little more "breathing" like that.

---

I moved the mic, so the position differs very slightly from the first post (less than 5mm). Still, my usual problems are still audible: sound is harsh, hisses between 4k and 6.5k, lacking low mids and muddy low end, lacking >6.5k brightness.

Adding some mids to the peavey head made the sound closer and fuller, so I set it to 2.5. The current settings are now:

- maxon od-9
    [] drive: 0
    [] tone: 12 o' clock
    [] level: 12 o' clock

- peavey 6505:
    [] rythm channel
    [] pre: 4
    [] bass: 6.5
    [] mid: 2.5
    [] high: 4.5
    [] postgain: 1.5
    [] reso: 7
    [] presence: 8

Here are the two guitares by themselves, no post-prcessing:
    _reampPeaveyMesa_02.mp3 - 0.77MB

Here they are "in the mix": I quickly added some drums and bass. The guitars are not processed at all and there is nothing in the mastering chain besides a gclip:
    _reampPeaveyMesa_02_fullmix.mp3 - 0.76MB

Again, has anyone a hit on how to improve the guitar take? I am doing something obviously wrong to any of you?

7. TheWinterSnow

TheWinterSnow Den Mørke Natt

The Only thing you really have left to do is to hone in your mixing skills. Your unprocessed guitars are a great starting point, my taste would be to increase that level knob all the way up or increasing the pre-gain, both methods will have a slightly different sound and its all preference, but I feel that the tone could use a little bit more saturation on the palm mutes.

This is echoed a lot around here so remember this: Tone comes from the hands, if the tone sounds sloppy, 99.9% of the time you played sloppy, and I could hear that in the mix. You have to articulate and play more dynamically in order to get the tone to stand out.

Other than that, like I said before, you have good sources, its just time for you to begin the nightmare of mixing.