This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

I Want You!

Join Symphony X and discover tons of other great Metal forums, sign up today!

Hope someone can help me out here.

Discussion in 'Musicians Corner' started by BirdSerpentWar, Jul 31, 2008.

1. BirdSerpentWar

BirdSerpentWar New Metal Member

In my opinion, The Odyssey has some of the best guitar parts that Romeo has dished out ever.

I'm especially talking about Masquerade, which amazes me every time I hear it. His solo in that is incredible.

Anyway, in Masquerade, there is a part that I am trying to figure out. I have no clue what he does in it, and I've been trying to tab it out for a while now. Hopefully someone can tell me the scale it's in? Or maybe just give the tab? Either way I'd appreciate it. Here it is:

http://www.mediafire.com/?cd9gpnjmjix

Oh, and while I'm asking about scales, does ANYONE know what scale / mode Romeo is using in his parts of the solo from 5:08 to 5:58 in Orion - The Hunter? That's gotta be one of my favourite solos of his.

Thanks

2. Wander

Wander 10+2=6

Could you just tell where the lick is on the song, cause I don't wanna download.

But thought I could mention, Masquerade isn't actually from The Odyssey. It's from their first album from 1994, but it was re-recorded with Russell singing in 98 for Prelude To The Millenium complication album. They just added it as a bonus track in The Odyssey special edition.The album does have cool riffs though

3. BirdSerpentWar

I know that it's not originally from the Odyssey, what I meant is that the Masquerade FROM the Odyssey is the one that I like the best, and that's the one I'm talking about. I listened to the original one and it didn't do so much for me. Anyway, sorry for the confusion! :D

And the lick is 4:07 to 4:11. It's that part where he just goes crazy with something hahah.

4. JesterIF

JesterIF Member

The lick you're talking about is a pretty simple pentatonic lick on 3 strings.
    Something like:

------------------------10-13-10-15-13-10----------10-15-10-13-10
    -10-13-10-----10-13-10--------------------13-10-13----------------13-10
    -----------13-------------------------------------------------------------13-12-10-12-13

Hope it helps

5. BirdSerpentWar

Thanks a lot man. Any clue on the Orion the hunter scale / mode?

6. Fredrik Park

Fredrik Park Member

Most of them are based on a diminished scale, but there are also short sections a blues scale and I THINK I also heard arpeggios of a sus7 chords (not based on diminished scales) in the end, but I´m not sure.
    Diminished scales are every second step whole step, every second step half step, and when a scale sounds weird, chances are good that it is such a scale.

It would take too long time for me to figure out the whole complete solo, but hope it helped a bit nevertheless.
    If you want, you could make an new request the exact key of the diminished scale / scales (?), and I can most likely figure it out for you.
    P.S. Sorry for misinterpreting your request for the guitar parts exclusively. My bad. So I had to edit this post quite a bit. D.S.