This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

How to make in "amp in the room sound" IR?

Discussion in 'Backline' started by RiF, Dec 12, 2013.

1. RiF

RiF Member

For noodling/practicing/composing/enjoying (not for recording) I like the "amp in the room sound" far more than a closed miked sound. But I am very restricted regarding volume, so I simply cannot run my amps through my cab. Not even at ultra-low volumes and even a 1-watter could be too loud.

Now I want to create an IR that mimics that "amp in the room sound", so that I get a similar feel and sound when running my amps through a Palmer PDI-03's line out into my DAW, applying that IR and listening through headphones.

What mics should I use?
    My SM57 would surely not do, but I have a U87 which is more likely to work. Are flat-response mics even better (think Behringer ECM8000)?

Should I do stereo (I have two ears...)?
    Without any trying, I'd say two flat-response mics placed at ear level should get close to capture what I am hearing.

Has anybody any tipps or experiences to share?

2. bryan_kilco

bryan_kilco Member

Interesting. I was going to post something sort of related to the "amp in the room".

I noticed a lot of bands from the 70's/80's have what (to me) sounds like a room mic and no close mic on guitars....mostly leads, but I hear it on some rhythms too. Zeppelin comes to mind. Was wondering if these were, in fact, room mics. Or just processed close mics.

Back to topic though, would a "room mic" IR respond correctly to playing?

3. Soul Forlorn

Soul Forlorn Member

I have no experience creating IRs, just using them.

I've noticed that blending a close mic IR, back of cab IR, and "room" IRs does help to get that "in the room" sound when using headphones. That's what I always did back when I was using ampsim plugins.

Now I mainly use an AxeFx II which has "room level" in the cab simulation. Makes things sound 100x better when using cans.

4. JonWormwood

JonWormwood Member

Just set up a ldc a few feet away. Or even A stereo pair.

5. RiF

RiF Member

Plus AD/DC's Back In Black. U87 in the room, IIRC.

6. mickrich

mickrich Member

Move around the room until you like what you hear then set up an ortf stereo pair where your ears are.