This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

how would you mic-up...

Discussion in 'F.O.H.' started by KHE, Nov 25, 2014.

1. KHE

KHE Member

a POV picture of their last studio session (was another kit back then). looks a little better from his angle!
    [​IMG]

2. KHE

KHE Member

thanks for your feedback mick!

yeah was wondering the same about turning down the project because of the fu*ing cymbals... their music is great, easy going guys, very well prepared, good payment, so i have to deal with it! :)

3. Mago

Mago Austrian Blech Machine

Mickrich's plan could lead to an off center snare in the OH, mind.

4. mickrich

mickrich Member

ORTF over the snare would keep snare centre.
    That's the whole reason I suggested it, so you could reduce the stereo image of the overheads without centre shifting the snare.

5. ~BURNY~

~BURNY~ Member

I think this is a viable solution if you draw a line between the china and the crash near the floor tom, judging from the last pic. Only downside is that the toms will spread from center to one side, but that's probably the best compromise. It doesn't have to be ORTF but any type of stereo couple (I'd personally use MS in that case to keep control of the width after it's recorded) but ORTF sounds gorgeous if done right.

6. FrankTheSmith

FrankTheSmith Member

Do what they did in that second picture if it sounded alright. Let's see a video of him playing the kit?

7. KHE

KHE Member

they had like 6 spot-mics and a spaced pair high up as main overheads.
    hear you can hear & see it:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJm20bNUyF4&list=UUyhLpb_j6ShGtxIbM0OR5Zw[/ame]

8. Studdy

Studdy Member

Im not gonna lie, im pretty impressed. The drummer is quite talented which makes me really wonder why he wouldnt want to set his drum kit up so it sounds balanced??? Not that i would want to throw him off now, but i wonder why he ever initially started with that setup.

9. MartijnPaauwe

MartijnPaauwe Member

You guys never seen Gene Hoglan play or something? Looks pretty confusing on it's own but it's really just a left handed drummer playing a drumkit which is set in an right handed position, could be he likes the open handed flexibility or that he grew tired of switching drumkits around during gigs because lefty musicians are a minority (I'm a left handed drummer, and it was always a hassle with other bands drummers sharing a kit for a show, let alone dealing with stage managers or sound guys who don't have a clue)

The only thing you could suggest really is that the drummer play his cymbals on his right a bit more to get a feel of stereo spacing, other then that, let the guy play the way he's comfortable with

10. egan.

egan. daylightdies.com

I'd take mickrich's idea a step further and go x-y. The sound stage is already going to be super wide by design.

11. egan.

egan. daylightdies.com

I don't think anyone minds that there are lots of cymbals, but rather that the kit it completely lopsided. Gene's deal is entirely more manageable.
    [​IMG]

12. SoundSpiral

SoundSpiral Member

Guys, it's music. The panning of the cymbals is not going to be the thing to make or break the recording.
    Just respect the artists decision and have lopsided cymbal image.
    I've dealt with much worse stuff than that. If the drummer is good, it will work.

I would just have a little narrower panning with the overheads and spot mic the cymbals that are not cutting thru. Not a big deal.

13. Fox Mulder

Fox Mulder The Truth Is Out There

+1

14. Jordon

Jordon Member

I'm failing to see the issue with the way the drummer's kit is set up. Is it unorthodox? For sure, but embrace the weird. There's no written rule about how a kit must be set up, so go with it. Experiment during set up, take some time to try some different mic'ing options/setups. Don't make the drummer change his approach just because it won't be the exact stereo image that most engineers would expect from a drum kit.

Get the kit to sound good and as balanced as possible, and make sure the songs and performances rock, and you'll be good to go.

15. Mago

Mago Austrian Blech Machine

I'm a dumbass, I thought you suggested to only pan the cymbal heavier side more towards center, sorry!

I think it's cool to have unusual stuff to work on, my worry with that setup would only be, that it could get boring and one sided to have mostly all the crashes on one side.
    That really depends on how he used them though, if he almost always used the right cymbal as the first hit then it's not as bad.
    But still, most of the lead hands will be on the left side in most cases, I assume.

Maybe trying out some percussion (shaker etc) would be nice to fill out the space on the other side, in case you notice that it gets a bit one sided after a while.

16. Jordon

Jordon Member

Most drummer's I've worked with favor using one side or the other when riding on the crashes. Really, I wouldn't worry about it.

17. The StabbinCabin

Rotate the perspective of the kit, use 3 overheads to make snare, kick and tom 2 (slightly panned) in the center image.

That's how I would approach it. I wouldn't really bother trying to have him change his setup if he is consistent. Good luck!

18. KHE

KHE Member

this is the result:

in the end we used spot-mics. panned all arround centric, so not the usual super-wide-oh-sound.
    unfortunetly, the drummer only had low-budget cymbals (paiste pst5 and stuff), so the sound is not very nice... :|
    i'm defintly inversting in some proper studio-cymbals as backup for situations like that...

#38 KHE, Feb 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  19. hkollner

hkollner Member

Anyone notice the Fan..... That would bring some nice ambiance to the drum tones.... haha

20. Manicompression

Manicompression doing it for the kids

I think it came out pretty good. Thanks for following up, always cool to hear the end result.