This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

How would you rank the performances this year?

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by Senecadawg, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Senecadawg

Senecadawg Member

Okay. Obviously, first things first, I'm very thankful for all the bands that came to the festival. Each of them, while some may not necessarily be my cup of tea, contribute to the festival in some way and satisfy a particular group of fans. I'm definitely not trying to suggest that any of the following bands were less worthy than the others. But what were your absolute favorites/highlights?

For me, I think I'd order them something like this...

Anathema
    Riverside
    Voyager
    Anathema (Acoustic)
    Falconer
    Royal Hunt
    Helker
    Jeff Scott Soto
    Angra
    Unleash the Archers
    Native Construct
    Dragonland

What say ye?

2. TlalocFJCV

TlalocFJCV Member

For my personal taste of music

Falconer
    Saxon
    Unleash the Archers
    Helker
    Armored Saint

I don´t care much about the other bands

See ya next year at PP

3. Purveyor Of Evil

Purveyor Of Evil Heavy Metal, INC.

4. PromisedLand

PromisedLand Master of Corgis

Jeff Scott Soto (with an admitted bias)
    Falconer
    Dragonland (both sets)
    Evergrey (both sets)
    Voyager (both sets)
    Royal Hunt
    Almah
    Angra
    Helker
    Unleash The Archers

5. Cheiron

Cheiron Member

Voyager
    Falconer
    Riverside
    Anathema
    Native Construct (musically, more than performance)
    Soto (I only caught the last 20 minutes)
    Helker

Nothing else was good for me. But I'm not a Angra/Royal Hunt/Dragonland/Unleash the Archers fan anyhow.

6. Felixrox

Felixrox Member

Armored Saint
    Saxon
    Falconer
    Riverside
    Voyager
    Royal Hunt
    Jeff Scott Soto
    Unleash the Archers

I was very impressed by Dragonland, a band I had no exposure to previously & as originally noted, the rest of the bands all sounded damned good.

7. oldboy

oldboy Member

Saxon
    Falconer
    Royal Hunt

Angra
    Dragonland
    Helker
    Evergrey
    JSS
    Archers
    Almah

8. LunaTEKKE

LunaTEKKE Madness Reigns

My personal favorites…

Voyager Friday Night (Also enjoyed the Wed. night set, but it’s hard to get the full impact and energy when you can only see the tops of the band members’ heads!)
    Jeff Scott Soto
    Evergrey Thursday Acoustic Show
    Helker
    Royal Hunt
    Angra
    Falconer
    Unleash the Archers

9. Diamond45

Diamond45 Terminate Bad Music

Riverside
    Falconer
    Voyager (Friday night show)
    Jeff Scott Soto
    Evergrey (Thursday show)
    Helker
    Armored Saint
    Royal Hunt
    Unleash the Archers

10. Elnimio

Elnimio Member

lol @ people completely ignoring the fact that Native Construct played

11. MeTuLHeD

MeTuLHeD A Member To Remember

They aren't the 'only' band being completely ignored by some. *ahem*

12. VenomGA

VenomGA At War With Stan

Armored Saint
    Jeff Scott Soto
    Saxon
    Helker
    Unleash The Archers
    Voyager
    Riverside
    Royal Hunt
    Angra
    Falconer
    Dragonland
    Anathema
    Native Construct

13. hoodaman

hoodaman Is it live or is it Dave?

They were definitely my favorite band to listen to on disc leading up to the show. I just...it felt like they were playing along with their music rather than performing it. Some parts of it were good, really good. But at times I almost felt like I was watching one of those lip sync battles. I dunno it was weird. I think for me there's an acceptable amount of backing tracks you can use to support a live musical performance and they just used too much for me personally.

JSS had the set of the weekend for me with Armored Saint a close second.

14. zekeyou

zekeyou Member

Anathema (Friday)
    Saxon
    Riverside
    Anathema (Saturday)
    Armored Saint
    Voyager (Friday)
    Native Construct

15. KS METALHEAD

KS METALHEAD Heavy Metal Thunder

I enjoyed watching all the bands over the four days but for me personally it was:

The Mighty Saxon! (I could see them every year!)
    Ashes of Ares
    Dragonland (both times)
    Royal Hunt
    Helker
    Armored Saint
    Almah

The surprise of the fest for me was JSS as I was not that familiar with his stuff but I thought he was awesome and was thankful he agreed to extend his set!

16. LunaTEKKE

LunaTEKKE Madness Reigns

For me, that acceptable amount is close to zero, with the exception of something that is brief and relevant (along the lines of the opening to Operation: Mindcrime or Churchill's Speech before "Aces High"). Forgot to add prerecorded tracks to my "Jeers" list. If keyboards, backing vocals, etc. are important to your sound, hire some extra musicians for your live performance!

17. DADRocks

DADRocks Member

Jeff Sott Soto

18. J_Ray

J_Ray New Metal Member

For me .... im not sure I can rank the performances.
    To play a show like PPUSA requires a top notch level of musicianship and they all did great.

Personally, fill in drummer and all .... Helker was my number one.
    Their humbleness and sincerity spoke to me deeply. I like many others, almost teared up at their wonderment and appreciation.

19. Smc316

Smc316 Resident

Oh man, such a hard post. To be clear, i'm ranking every band that I saw (missed Helker, the acoustic sets, and all of Wednesday) - and EVERY band I enjoyed, with the exception of Soto and Angra - who both still had some enjoyable parts.

1. Falconer (perfect sound, perfect playing and singing, and EVERYONE in the front was singing and jamming out. Perfection.)
    2. Riverside (one of my favorite bands, AMAZING playing and some of the best mixing i've ever heard - set was too short tho and not enough of my faves, but that's why i'm going to NYC to see them headline on Friday!)
    3. Anathema (was only an average level fan, but holy crap, they blew my mind live. Seriously beautiful and intense music)
    4. Dragonland (both sets, although I preferred the first set - mainly because the crowd had way more energy and whatnot, but I can't fault the band for that. Also because The Never Ending Story <3 )
    5. Voyager (Do I even need to say? IRON DREAM)
    6. Armored Saint (John Bush is the only instance I can think of someone who is totally grunge in near every way, but decided to front a 100% metal band instead. Great set, great stage presence. Joey Vera's bassplaying is also immense)
    7. Native Construct (super rad Boston dudes who I can't believe that I, someone from Massachusetts, only saw for the first time in Atlanta. I hung out with Max and their vocalist a bit, but probably creeped them out with my drunkenness. Sorry!)
    8. Unleash the Archers (missed parts of their set due to meeting Riverside, but what I heard was immense and Brit is an AMAZING vocalist)
    9. Royal Hunt (wasn't a big fan of DCC's stage presence - but his vocals were still spot on; Paradox is a great album; and their keyboardist is a boss. Although, they had a bunch of mics on stage - why did they need to do backtracks for what could've easily been sung by them? I don't get it. haha)
    10. Saxon (This is a band who has a lot of songs that I adore, and a lot of songs that I can't stand. They played a solid mixture of both and their singer's rambles are impossible to understand, but that's exactly what I needed to wind down Thursday night!)
    11. Almah (great band, but was a bit disappointed with all the tech problems and the greatly shortened set. And was kind of disappointed they wasted their time playing Angra covers when Angra was on the fest. BUT Edu sounds so fucking good and the backing band are rad, so whatever - still had fun!)
    12. Angra (Riddle me this - if you're going to do an album in entirety on a world tour or whatever, and that album has keys/piano in every song and it's usually the lead melody... why the hell wouldn't you hire a live keyboardist, just for the tour at least? I don't get it, this bothered me throughout their whole set to the point where it was distracting. I also generally think Holy Land is much better on CD than in a live environment. But Felipe's bassplaying and Fabio's everything are as enjoyable as ever, so whateves)
    13. Soto (played some rad covers, and had a few songs - I think Tailsman ones? - that I greatly enjoyed. But the majority of the set was very blah to me, but he's definitely a great vocalist)

I fucking love this fest. 2016 will most likely be my third year in a row. (but next time i'm considering flying for a change) Thank you ProgPower :)

20. sava_freak

sava_freak Member

This year was not my year..... but alas I still had a ball like always these are my highlights

VOYAGER!!!!!!!!!
    Saxon (marking them off my bucket list)
    Armored Saint
    Native Construct
    Helker (pleasant surprise)