This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Humbucker pickups

Discussion in 'Musicians Discussion' started by BulletRider, Dec 28, 2003.

1. Sunbane

Sunbane Metalistic Madman

Unrelated note, but it just struck me that I never use the middle switch position. =/

I use the bridge pickup only for all rhythms and most leads, and the neck pickup for some leads and all clean parts.

'bane

2. Erik

Erik New Metal Member

I never use the middle either. Sounds muddy to me. I use bridge for almost everything, neck for some lead stuff and the second from the neck for clean stuff. I believe that one is a split coil position for a single coil-ish sound, but I really have little idea of what I am talking about. :p

3. 7 Dying Trees

7 Dying Trees Bastard Albino Elf

middle single coils + clean tone = fantastic! Neck as well, but it can get too bassy

4. Sex Machine

Sex Machine Member

wow thank you all for posting all this valuable information. i was going to go out and get me and 81, but now that ive heard your input, im thinking of getting a pair of dimarzios, what do you people think about the zebra (i think thats what they are called) pick ups? i think they look really awesome, and i think they are on the dimebag guitar if im not mistaken, and are they passive? cause i dont wanna hafta take out my damn plug, i leave it at band practice for a reason ha

5. Krigloch the Furious

Krigloch the Furious Pants full of poo

active pickups are no hassle at all. dont let that make your mind for you.

6. Sunbane

Sunbane Metalistic Madman

I don't know what Washburn puts in their Dime models, but Darrell himself uses a Duncan Dimebucker in the bridge position (earlier he used a real Bill Lawrence L-500XL) and a Duncan '59 in the neck position.

"Zebra" is really nothing more than a humbucker with two different colors on it. I know you can get most Duncan models looking like this (although not the Dimebucker). Not sure about DiMarzio.

'bane

7. Bryant

Bryant Mr. Sleepy

I agree and disagree. Metallica made many people want to buy "81's" but it was Wolf Hoffmann that made me make the purchase. I hear no resemblence in tone of Wolf and Kirk/James etc. Of course Wolf is on a different level than Metallica when it comes to phrasing and....... hell anything !! Wolf is an incredible guitarist, but my point is that Wolf's tone of his rig and playing style keep him from sounding like most 81 users. I think a pickup does affect your sound considerable, but the amp dictates your sound more than anything less pickup style meaning, single, soap-box or humbucker. An 81, be it processed and amplified internally or not, still sounds like a humbucker.

Bryant