This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

i am now officially sick of your opinions about the new album

Discussion in 'Anathema' started by pagan2002, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Achernar

Achernar Ego-Boosted Southlander

They sound like antimatter! :lol:

JK...

2. toolsofthetrade

u used that before, what's JK??

Jeazusz Kryst?

3. Bambi

Bambi Villain of the piece

Jaffa kuntz

4. toolsofthetrade

5. Shadowlike

Shadowlike in the woods

just plain and simple ...the new album rocks from every viewing angle, whether you see it as soft, doom or heavy, it has everything an anathema fan would ask for.

6. Achernar

Achernar Ego-Boosted Southlander

Just Kidding.

7. somnium_in_tenebris

somnium_in_tenebris Sleeping With Ghosts

boring after a couple of songs

8. sol83

sol83 throw it up

oh, com' on. :erk:

9. Mariner

Mariner all the way

i only heard dummy so far. but i like like 4 of the songs on that cd. i guess the other is splendid too. ill get onto it one day.

10. Crack Hitler

Crack Hitler homeless

Just watched some of the Live at NYC after a long time. Great stuff, great gig, great dvd :Spin: it was cheap as well.

11. discouraged1

discouraged1 disco my arse!

Dear all,

i would like to offer my opinion on a natural disaster. I would be very happy if you could pay some attention and say whether i'm right or wrong or sth...
    the subtitle to this post could also be 'why can first impression opinions be dangerous'

on the first listen, i was disappointed by the first three tracks in the matter of arrangements. i felt they are sort of unfinished, messy, sort of unfocused in places(like they are chosen from one of the takes during studio session). And i was pretty disappointed by the sound of distortion. it sounded pretty rock, i mean weak rock...like ds1 shitty pedal and not the mighty 5150. don't get me wrong, maybe it's just me and my fascination for the bands like Isis, Sigur Ros, Neurosis, Cult of Luna or Godspeed You!Black Emperor during the last 12 months, but still i can't figure out why does 5150 sounds so.....'backdropped'. i had a chance to play it myself a month ago and it can be really really LOUD, heavy distortion(i mean, listen to the silent enigma) and it sounded like they didn't (want to?) make a good/maximum sound of it. (Or I expected the mightiness of guitars of the latest Katatonia? but, if i remember correctly, danny said himself, while they were still making this album, that there would be some dropped tunings and some 'old style'?)

the tracks i liked most are 4,7,9 & 10. i really like danny's voice and i think he should be/become the lead singer in the band. when i listened to are you there? for the 1st time, i thought of Black's 'Paradise' and 'Sweetest Smile'(any1 remembers these songs?) in danny's way of singing and that was very nice. it is perhaps the most direct anathema song ever in the sense of 'getting to the heart of matter', as danny said himself for the album.
    are you there? is definitely the best song off the album if you ask me, the lyrics are very very personal, concerning danny's dedication to his mother one more time (sort of 'one last goodbye pt.II').

the only thing i didn't like about the title track is an absence of the solo, but that would rather be my selfish opinion. i mean, around the 4.40 or sth, when the chorus breaks again, the song is, like, SCREAMING for danny's solo, and i felt, like, goddamn, is he so bored or sth not to play it? I mean, he is a damn good guitarist and there's no one single place on the album with his superb leads. But again it's probably only me, his solo in One Last Goodbye is so great, one of the greatest ever played in (this kind of) music, and I wanted to learn again from him, but he didn't gave it to me/us.

Electricity is also very nice, perfectly describing a new feeling of anathema, and the only thing about the closing violence i could shit about is that the distorted guitars part should last a little longer(though the ending is perfect, reminiscing now-decade-old-dreaming:the romance in a perfect way)

During the 1st impression i have also noticed i didn't like vince's vocals. i gotta feeling like he hadn't nothing new to deliver/offer in his style....
    During the next 3 listenings i got more into 2000 metres and flying and understood danny could never sang them in a way vince did, but still i have the feeling danny should feel more encouraged in singing. or how about duos between the two brothers, have they thought about that?

i'm sorry for taking your time and i would like to thank you all who read all this.
    this is perhaps the best anathema album so far and i will discover that in the next 15 or so listens, it is very 'natural' and 'disastrous' in weary, emotional kinda way, so it's a perfect title. Maybe 'Sketches to a Natural Disaster' would be better, if you see what i'm saying? :)

opinions welcome.

12. discouraged1

discouraged1 disco my arse!

and just want to add radiohead and portishead comparisions are bollocks/shit, anathema are big/old enough not to draw direct influences from such bands.

13. PY

PY c'est moi

hey, no ! :erk:
    danny's voice is very nice though...

14. sol83

sol83 throw it up

i second that.

15. Bastet

Bastet ironing...

16. Falconspirit

Falconspirit I Died A Little

Nice Review, I like the duo idea, but I think its up to the band...I agree also on the "head"(the bands) comparisons..hehe

17. Andy_2003

Andy_2003 Member

Danny sounds great but y'all remember Vinny's alternative 4 and especially judgement singing, wow it was the dog's bollocks

18. Strangelight

Strangelight steak(knife) no more

Sorry mate but you're dead wrong like.

19. toolsofthetrade

did u sense some musical insecurity then?

20. Strangelight

Strangelight steak(knife) no more

Im not trying to belittle Danny or any of the band. Just you lot are blindly defending something that is so obvious.