This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

I have just received ... in the mail! Post pics of your new treasures!

Discussion in 'Katatonia' started by MadTinus, Aug 9, 2006.

1. gumtree

gumtree Member

I've been after this edition for years. Pretty stoked to finally have it :)

2. nizzon

nizzon f.k.a Qth

:err:

3. Brave.Archangel

Brave.Archangel Inside the City of Glass

Got my new Ibanez Presitge 8-string- electric with EMG 808 Active Humbuckers
    [​IMG]
    it's abolutely gorgeous in my opinion
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here's a shot of the back of the neck. Your hand glides across the finish like butter
    [​IMG]

4. gumtree

gumtree Member

^ I am officially jealous. That is the next guitar I hope to get. Looks awesome!

5. Lisra

Lisra starlight spectre

I think the extra strings would confuse the hell out of me.

6. Katatonic89

Katatonic89 Member

Gogo play some Meshuggah songs! :p

7. Brave.Archangel

Not with the new guitar, yet. However, learning this song (and listening to a shitton of animals as leaders/scale the summit) inspired me to get this new guitar.

Ps. It's sex.

#3327 Brave.Archangel, Oct 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2015
  8. BlueSky

BlueSky New Metal Member

Is AaL his only project? I've seen some vids and I must say he's the only heavy guitarist to make proper use of an 8 string. The tonal spectrum of some of those voicing's of his is really something. It'd be nice if he joined a band with a vocalist and focused on what's good for the song instead of shred wanking to impress fourteen year olds (no offense).

9. Brave.Archangel

none taken. I agree some of his shred stuff is only for the sake of impressing people. I get that, but at the same time, the talent it takes to pull off some of his shit is unreal. So, I really enjoy his playing. I love the band too. Took me a while to get into, but I think as far as shredding goes, it's taking the genre to a new sound. As far as I can tell, most of the shredding out there is either coming out of cheesy cheesy prog with the high pitched power metal singing, or prog/power shit from europe with songs about dragons kings and shit.

So yes, Tosin shows off and he over-shredds, but he's doing it in a fresh, original way. Who else can you name that does so much shredding on clean sound? Not to mention, he utilizes the 8 strings to create large chords/argegio voicings, not just to get the chugging riffs to sound real heavy.

10. gumtree

gumtree Member

That's something you can only say once you have seen every heavy 8 string guitarist... ever. Which would likely be never :loco:

Portal - They play 8 strings (though, in the following video one of the guitarist's has his old 7 string). IMO They put their guitars to their 'proper' use.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emrBZZtGFgI&feature=related[/ame]

11. BlueSky

BlueSky New Metal Member

@Brave: No need to sell me on the dude. He's awesome, but I do think his talents could be put to better use.

Seen em, but seriously, I just downed on wanking and you post mega wankers? :loco:

12. Brave.Archangel

I watched that very video the other day, and was my first introduction to the band. The video literally disturbed me to the point of physical discomfort. The guitar playing was impossible for me to decipher (although I only listened to it once) and i'm usually always able to decipher guitar work, not to brag, it's just my inheritance, my father is a professional musician.

But yeah, those guys are crazy. I kinda wanna watch that video again, but I'm quite literally "scared" to.

13. Brave.Archangel

Just out of curiosity, how would you say shred talent is put to good use? I think this is an age old question in the virtuoso guitar music world. How to use shredding to make GOOD music.

14. BlueSky

BlueSky New Metal Member

I'll tell you what you just heard. A group of fehgs who masturbate to the sound of a metronome set to 250 BPM. :lol:

True talent goes well beyond who can shred the fastest and a good musician always writes for the song first and foremost. Music shouldn't be a "hey, look at me" contest.

15. LifeDepraved

LifeDepraved My soul got a crack

Past month and a half ish scores:

[​IMG]
    12":
    Drowned - Viscera Terrae white vinyl
    Electric Wizard - Dopethrone
    -Witchcult Today
    Arckanum - 11 Year Anniversary
    -Trulen (Both acquired thanks to S on the forum)
    Revenge - Victory.Intolerance.Mastery pic disc
    The Spawn Of Satan/Bloodsick split
    Charles Manson - Air

Cds:
    Impaler - Wake Up Screaming
    Evoke - Dreaming The Reality

[​IMG]
    Gorefest - Mindloss/Demos dlp
    -False
    My Dying Bride - As The Flower Withers (1st Press w/ Poster)
    -Turn Loose The Swans 2lp reissue

And a bunch of MDB newsletters.

[​IMG]
    Rot In Hell - Hallways Of The Always
    Day Of Mourning - Your Future's End
    Devastator - Nocturnal Slut
    Arckanum - Fran Marder pic disc
    -Kostogher dbl pic disc
    -Antikosmos
    -ÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞ
    Satanic Warmaster - Nachzehrer
    Ouroboros - SOD/CCC

[​IMG]
    Satanic Warmaster - 2010 ep
    Isanmaa ep
    Ulver - Nattens Madrigal cd
    Katatonia - Sounds Of Decay cd (For Trade)
    Snakepit 1 w/ Destructor live ep
    Power From Hell - The True Metal dh

[​IMG]

Arghoslent - Arsenal Of Glory
    - Hornets Of The Pogrom
    Asphyx - The Rack
    -Abomination Echoes w Tape

[​IMG]

Iron Maiden - S/T
    -Live After Death
    Ourboros - Spear Of Destiny/Circling The Coils Of Chaos
    Riot - Born In America

Aborted Christ Childe - Demo Tape

Rot - Demo 7"

16. Morfeind

Morfeind Member

The latest additions to my nerdy record collection -

Agalloch - The Wooden Box (Test Pressings) #2/20

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ISIS - LIVE 5 (Test Pressing) /20
    [​IMG]

Gave up some really good records in a trade for these but I think its worth it.

17. gumtree

gumtree Member

It appears out opinions on 'mega wankers' differs greatly. While Portal plays fast it is FAR from guitar wankery, which I associate with the likes of and other things resembling that. When I saw Portal live my mind was blown, not due to how 'fast' they played or how much of a showoff they apparently are*, but because of the sheer horror and insanity of their sound and how they presented themselves on stage.

*Portal are the least showoff band I know, not trying to sell their music to everyone, but rather let people find it on their own, unlike other bands/guitarists who LOVE to get their name everywhere they can so they can be known by everyone.

But, opinions will be opinions. That is just mine :)

#3337 gumtree, Oct 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2015
  18. isolation_years

jealous of agalloch box test pressings :(, i got the red version though, i suppose thats good enough :lol:

bought batman arkham aslyum and titan quest recently, and fallout new vegas, all good so far

19. Brave.Archangel

I don't think Bluesky has a great ear for hearing wankers (no offense). I believe that Portal and Animals as Leaders are taking shredding to new sonic levels, and he just dismisses them as show offy and tacky. I'm actually of the opinion that bands like Symphony X and Dream Theater should be dismissed as that, but not these new bands that are exloring new realms of sound, textures, and arrangements with shredding.

I think we agree- shredding for the sake of shredding is bad. But I hear none of that in Animals as Leaders or Portal. Both bands are using shredding to express something unique imo

20. BlueSky

BlueSky New Metal Member

So reciting ascending scales as fast as possible over a generic blast beat is taking things to a whole new sonic level? What exactly are these guys doing that hasn't been done before? Maybe it's their great use of palm muted power chords or total lack of phrasing. You obviously not the ear for great musicians (no offense). Any kid can sit and learn to shred over time. It's not that complicated. Being creative on the other hand is something you're either born with or not. Great musicians are well rounded and dynamic. These guys are anything but. Truly great bands aren't confined to genres and most certainly aren't confined to one song with practically the same tempo and feel. As for that Tosin guy, well he is a dynamic player, but he does opt for showmanship over what's best for the song at times. Look, I'll take a well thought out solo or lead with feel over shredding any day. I thought most of us Katatonia fans understood this ...

I think overtime you'll understand that to build an interesting story, first you need to understand dynamics. You can't climax the entire time, you can't have nonstop action, you can't scream at the top of your lungs an entire record. All these things are fine, but they have their very specific place and time. Anything can become monotonous and lose all impact if there's no other point of reference. I know what I say will have a knee jerk reaction so let the flood of flames come as they may. Me arguing further would be a complete waste of time. I think as time goes by at least a little of what I said will seep in.