This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Join the Chaos

Want to join in with the rest of the Hate Crew? Sign up today!

I was thinking of making a cover of Inearthed...

Discussion in 'Children Of Bodom' started by Stoggaf, Apr 30, 2011.

1. predator2353

predator2353 Member

What's not legal? You can make cover of whatever the fuck you like man. You think you're gonna get your ass sued, because you covered some songs? Use your brain. There are shitloads of covers on youtube, even of some bands that are no longer existing.

2. Necroraven

Necroraven Member

What the fuck is the problem now? :lol: You only need the permission of the artist if you are planning to record a commercial release featuring the cover. Just uploading a cover to Youtube is 110% legal.

3. Stoggaf

Stoggaf Nobody

Ok then :D So as long as I'm not making money with it, it's legal? If so, thanks for the answers :D I think I had understood something wrong :p

4. Necroraven

Necroraven Member

Yes. ONLY if you are recording a cover (for an album or demo etc.) which you are going to sell/make money with, you need permission.

5. snowy

snowy The Empire Strikes Back

as long as you're not playing it live or selling it there no reason why you shouldnt record it.
    PLUS, even if it was some grey area or illegal... I dont think they would sue you for covering one of those songs :lol:

6. <Arcane>

<Arcane> Active Member

You're wrong. Playing it live is also legal.

7. Stoggaf

Stoggaf Nobody

Actually playing covers live IS legal. Even without permission. But thanks guys, gotta make it some day :p

Ah, god damnit, didn't see post above..

8. snowy

over here you shouldnt fuck with the GEMA. People who put on the gig (venue owners) are usually responsible for stuff like that.

but yeah, if you're used to play in small clubs and you're pretty unknown, its not a problem. but if it's some big event you or the venue owner or whoever is in charge when it comes to GEMA registrations has to pay them some money.

9. <Arcane>

<Arcane> Active Member

What do you understand under a bigger event? Some of our local cover bands are pretty popular and they often play in front of more than 1000 people and don't have to sell any money for GEMA. It's a difference if a cover band is playing chart songs infront of 1000 people or if a DJ is playing chart songs because then he HAS to pay for GEMA.

10. snowy

Well like I said, the venue owner or the guy who organised (not the Band, at least I dont know any Band who did that) the event has to pay some pauschalpreis to the GEMA. That's what I experienced.

11. <Arcane>

<Arcane> Active Member

Ah, yes. That is correct

12. (__Joonas__)

(__Joonas__) † Followed the Reaper †

Think about the pop world, most of those bands revolve around one or two songs :) What if they started intentionally claiming popularity by playing other pop hits. Nobody would mind if a big metal band played Britney at their concert, but if they started playing hits of other big metal bands, it would not be ok.

13. snowy

well, you never saw or heard some big metal band cover some other big metal band at a concert? Or on a record?

14. Zman

Zman O.X.Y.

+1

Children Of Bodom did that several times. And Ensiferum made a cover of Battery I think.
    And Dark Tranquillity covered Sentenced - Broken as well.
    And I'm sure these are not the only ones.

All these on records ;)

15. (__Joonas__)

(__Joonas__) † Followed the Reaper †

But say if Norther decided to start playing Shovel Knockout at their shows now, wouldn't you be pissed? I don't think COB would approve to that.

16. Hatebræder

Hatebræder Member

Well, I dont think SKO is good example because its just released 2 months ago, but it would be a bit different if they would cover something from lets say Something Wild. CoB dont really care about that album and I dont think Cob would rly disapprove if Norther (or any other band for that matter) would do a little tribute from SW.

17. Stoggaf

Stoggaf Nobody

You know, it's not Bodom who says what is ok and what is not. At least in Finland. As far as I know, it's "Teosto" or Spinefarm Records who says what's ok and what's not.

18. Hatebræder

Hatebræder Member

Sure, but anyways, as long as you don't make money out of it, it's always ok.

19. nicottine

nicottine kills

Dream Theater played a whole Metallica album :lol:

and guys, please, stop calling Stoggaf naive and saying stuff like "do you thing you're going to be arrested?". I guess his point isn't just not getting in trouble, but doing things right, because it's right, just that simple.
    People consider doing things the right way when you can do it the wrong way and get away with it as being naive, but it's not being naive, it's being right.

20. snowy

Still pretty naive to think the bodom police is at your door if you cover their old demos.