This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Join the Chaos

Want to join in with the rest of the Hate Crew? Sign up today!

"I Worship Chaos" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Children Of Bodom' started by MattK, Jun 8, 2015.

1. MetalAges

MetalAges Captain Spectacular
    Staff Member

LISTEN UP DUDES/DUDETTES.

We've always had a policy here at Ultimate Metal to not allow illegal sharing links. It's disrespectful to the band, and to the scene in general. If you post them here you are risking a ban.

We go through this every time. Respect the band and our site's rules and wishes, no posting links to album/tracks.

2. BodomBlueBalls

There's no fucking intro, and its weird. The only problem with this song is there is no intro, and melodic lube, it just fucks you for 4 minutes and 20 seconds dry and thrashy aside from the solo's.

3. umosay

umosay Member

Lame album :S

4. ZOMG_A_COW

ZOMG_A_COW Testicle Inspector

alrightythen.jpg

5. Exedo

Exedo Member

Widderhins got taken down, before I could listen to it, but the rest did not impress me that much, besides Horns, which is an amazing track in my opinion.

6. rj rl

rj rl multidimensionally dyslexic

exactly my thoughts, the solo duel is too long and sounds like a jam session.

7. rj rl

:lol: dude what's your problem, you love it others don't simple as that. Like I thoroughly enjoy the album so far but those who don't only deserve condolence not mocking

8. Стас Проклятый

Стас Проклятый Boss Russian Hate Crew

Oh my God! The album is simply amazing! Fuck, Alexi god!

9. (__Joonas__)

(__Joonas__) † Followed the Reaper †

My Bodom has to be the worst COB song ever made. New dimension of sucking for them. Chorus is ok, otherwise it's like the worst In Flames song ever and even starts from verse. What the hell, guys? Should've just used the chorus and solo somewhere else and deleted the rest of the material.

Rest of review coming later today. Have some good things to say, too, and haven't heard the last two songs yet.

10. rj rl

Speaking of In Flames influences, that Widdershins intro is 100% Jester Race :kickass:

11. children of COB

children of COB Deadnight Drinker

It kinda feels like they just threw riffs together at times, and at some points they could've followed with a much more kickass progression yet they halt and go back to simple/1 guitar riff/transitions (e.g. Horns 2:07), which is sometimes frustrating. Also weird, it sounds a lot better on the 2nd listen.

Not the biggest fan of the "hidden" solos, under the vocals or whatever.

I find it to be the worst of all 3 covers tbh.

12. (__Joonas__)

(__Joonas__) † Followed the Reaper †

Horns is technically a solid track, but lacks memorability. Intro is Hypocrisy-like. Charming in technicality, but as said, no memorable melody or riff.

Prayer for the Afflicted intro is like Type O Negative's Christian Woman, a song I posted here over a year ago. Whispers and all. Best melody on the album. Ending song for tours?

Hold Your Tongue, nice chorus, it's a rock song. But this is not a starting rock band.

All for Nothing - "Can't believe it's come to this." Hidden message in lyrics. :(

Widdershins - "At least we tried." Hidden message in lyrics. :(

Many personal love rock songs on this album. Needs to get back to making epic death metal. Alexi's too happy these days!

Seriously... My Bodom... what the hell?? It's utter shit. Shocking. The chorus should be an outro to some other song.

There are some good moments on this album, but in Bodom standards it's too slow (I peel bananas faster than the music), too rock'ish and the color of the sound is wrong. Alexi seems to be in love with rock music now.

13. Hatebreeder01

Hatebreeder01 Member

Gonna wait for the album to drop down my mailbox. So far I've heard Morrigan which is OK, and iHurt which is shit and sounds like a song they have made a few times already. I'm really getting sick of the ''packa packa'' drumming.
    I'm getting some mixed feelings, some of you say it's a great album, but what worries me is that Joonas doesn't seem too pleased and I generally agree with him.

Shit, I was getting my hopes ut but now I'm carefully optimistic while expecting a disapointment. Oh well, I guess I will see on Friday.

14. jurgens

jurgens Children Of Decadence

I'm glad i didn't end up pre-ordering. After few listens this like RRF will be put aside and never listened again. Since when CoB is being compared to other bands? Shows how dull CoB has become. I have to admit Halo of Blood restored some hope but... Highlight of the album - Prayer for the Afflicted every other song put whatever name on it they sound the same. Hold Your Tonge - straight from RRF. All for Nothing - i liked the idea but execution wasn't there, cool outro though!

15. kilon

kilon I told you!

I can't wait to listen to the album and complain about it! Although to be fair, it seems opinions are divided and the second half of the album looks to be much better.
    Actually I don't know. I turned around on Morrigan and actually like the song now (still too long though), and really like Suicide Bomber so at the moment I am 2 out of 4 and I decide to forget the samples I heard. It may not be the best album they made, but I don't think it will be their worst either. Something I wouldn't have thought I'd say even two weeks ago.

I could be proven wrong or right. I'd know if only my internet decided to not be extremely slow today for some reason.

16. ESA1996

ESA1996 Member

Prayer for the Afflicted is a very melodic and honestly good song. All for Nothing has some very atmospheric stuff and, alongside PftA, is IMO the best song on the album (It's also highly melodic, like a better version of DMHoY) The rest of the album is melodic-ish thrash metal with screaming vocals. My Bodom and Suicide Bomber are the two best thrash songs on the album IMO.

These are still based on my first expressions though so things may change, but you get the picture.

Morrigan is actually somewhat a strange song on the album. Far less thrashy than most, but not near as melodic as Prayer or Nothing. Overall perhaps better than the average on IWC.

Horns is again pure thrash. It has one part that reminds me of I Waste of Skin's chorus or pre-chorus.

The intro in Prayer actually reminds me of Highway to Hell's (I think) intro. :D There's also some similarities to the harmony part in ADK where there's only two leads, no rhythms. Really good song, best on the album probably. All for Nothing is its closest contender.

17. Woffer

Woffer Member

Thanks for the early up, no guilt, bought the album twice, one for collection to keep sealed, one for the car.

Love every song but cannot get into Hold Your Tongue, really feels like a cover of a cocky song as quote said. Not really bodom style. Notable highlights is Widdershins and My Bodom, songs really get me going off the first listen. Love the atmosphere in Suicide Bomber, and Morrigan. While I Hurt leaves a bit of a Sixpounder taste, it it still a solid opener. Prayer and All for Nothing get the goose bumps going, kind of a rainy/snowy day coupled with a drink songs. IWC is your typical live set stick, fast, aggressive but at the end lackluster. Didn't quite get what Hors is all about, definitely needs more listens to get into as it seems a solid song.

Solid album, but I do think cob needs to take a brake from the ~2.5-3 year album cycle and come back in force.

18. Hellhounds On My Trail

Well, I agree with the general consensus here. I, too, believe that this album is full of good of ideas but the execution is rather poor. I agree with jurgens' comment above in regards to 'All for Nothing', nice idea overall but the execution needed more thought on the orchestration, especially the end which seems like a jam section to me. Other songs like 'I Hurt' and the title track, that seemed to many of us poorer as singles, work better in the context of the album, and I can say they are quite enjoyable although nothing really special. Furthermore, I think this is a decent effort by the band but it needed a tad more thought on simple details, and how the riffs connect with one another; feels quite disjointed in parts. 'Suicide Bomber' is by far the best song on the album, I can't get enough for it. It's dark, melodic and so driving!

Lyrically, it's same old Bodom, not that good (sometimes silly) but that's to be expected and they suit the mood of the album and the attitude of the band. Sonically, it sounds great, nice job on the production (as always).

To me this album is somewhere on par with Relentless Reckless Forever and it's a pity because Halo of Blood was amazing and had renewed our hopes for the band. Best songs on the album, for me, are: 'Suicide Bomber', 'Horns', 'Prayer for the Afflicted' and 'Morrigan'. And the worst are definitely the last too, though they are not really filler material; every song features at least on good section in it, with more work by they band they could've have turned out a lot better. - 6/10.

19. NewHewkas

NewHewkas Scheiße Gitarre Spieler

For me Horns wannabe a HoB II., but it's just weird.. bunch of riffs thrown together, It couldn't make that blackish atmosphere imo. All for nothing is different (not in the homosexual way:tickled:), but not bad.
    What have really grown on me is Hold your tongue, with it's kind of "happy" atmosphere (I couldn't even describe it better in Hungarian...:D) and with it's happy solos, although you say it's not Bodom, I've found it a bit old schoolish. Prayer, it has good melodies and everything, but just couldn't catch my ears...:confused: Widdershnis is good old schoolsih, but the coreish end proves, the fact, that this album was made for the overseas fans. MoT cover is better than the original and at first I couldn't catch the Danger Zone, but then, I listened to it with earphones and I heard better the keyboards and everything, all in all nice one.

and.. I Worship Chaos is still a dance song for me:devil:
    Just watch, you will agree with me after you saw this video.

Yeah it's an edited video, but I can imagine IWC as the new Just Dance exclusive song, it has just a danceable verse rhythm :danceboy:

#2039 NewHewkas, Sep 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2015
  20. kilon

kilon I told you!

All opinions are after a single time of listening (except for I Hurt, IWC, Morrigan and Suicide Bomber).

I Hurt: Haven't changed my opinion. Uneventful opener. Just a bad song for any band.

My Bodom: Verses are bland. Every time you think the song does something different, it stays the same. Keyboard solo is short but good. Chorus is the best part of the song, but again it needs something to let it stand out more. The breakdown isn't even groovy or aggressive. Although it gets better when the guitar solo starts playing. Not sure if the melody over the singing at the end fits though. Still not a bad song. Mediocre at best though.

Morrigan: When I first heard it, I absolutely hated this song. Now I like it a lot more. Maybe because the other songs have been even worse (except for Suicide Bomber) but this is just a decent song. Although every single time I think the song should end it is just past the 3 minute mark. 3:30 or at most 4 minutes would have been better.

Horns: At the intro I already think this is a song that requires multiple spins to get. Some of the better drumming on the album so far. A better sort of aggression, more similar to HoB. Sounds like Bodom which is a good thing. Again a good keyboard solo, fitting to the song. Nothing out of this world though. Interesting to see what I'll think after listening to this song more than once.

Prayer For the Afflicted: Unique intro as far as Bodom is concerned. The slower songs usually are some of the better songs, but this is too slow and meh. This really takes way too long. Cut 2 minutes and the song is identical but doesn't waste as much time. The solo is pretty good but seems to be cut short for some reason. The slower solo definitely fits the song and honestly we could use more of that. Still, zzzzzzzzzz.

I Worship Chaos: The intro promises plenty. And then it's just .. there. As are way too many songs on this album. Some good ideas but they never commit to them. Copy paste riffing. Keyboard solo is the best part of the song but I don't want to sit through the rest of the song just for that.

Hold Your Tongue: I don't know about this one. They try for something more casual, which is fine. But I don't see the appeal. Even if I go into my 'not Bodom but regular band' mindset, it doesn't connect to me. Keyboard solo, good but by now we've heard the same thing enough. Like the melody at the end there. But meh. Again. Meh.

Suicide Bomber: This is by far the best song so far. Sure, the verses are bland again but for some reason this time it does work. I don't know why. Maybe because the whole song structure fits together nicely, keeping up the tempo. Love the solo at the end there. Just a great song overall.

All For Nothing: Wow, okay. They didn't lie about it being something completely different. The whispering.. eh.. They did it better on DMHOY. I don't know what is up with this song but for some strange reason it works? Sometimes the simpler riffs are the best option. That change at around 2:22 though.. come on, the song was good. I know you need variation to keep a longer song interesting but this isn't the way. Luckily it's only for around 30 seconds. Love the guitar/keyboard solo. It's long and has a perfect atmosphere. Best part by a long shot, and worth waiting for.

Widdershins:
    Hey look at that, a solo within the first minute. That's a nice change. Verses aren't inspiring but fit the song. Pretty good song. Nothing else to add to that. That is until we hit the 3:30 mark. We knew this song had that breakdown but shit. I am half tempted to just go into Audacity and cut it at 3:30. Keeps the song decent.

Covers:
    They're there. Always nice that they do it and honestly none of them are half bad. It's not something I buy the album for though. Or will take into account when ranking the album.

Well then. Interesting album. Some hits. Way more misses. I'm not going to rank it after only one spin, but apart from Suicide Bomber, Morrigan and parts of Prayer and All For Nothing it's nothing special.
    There are plenty of ideas on here and plenty of opportunities to let the songs grow into something more than what they are now. I don't really care that the verses are bland if the rest of the song makes it more special. Add a bit more variation in the drumming and the rhytmn guitar. Play with timings. Whatever. I'm no musician. But for some reason Alexi doesn't nail it this time around either. And he is a gifted musician.

As always, opinions can change once I've heard the songs more often. But for now: it's there. Don't know what else to say.