This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Join the Chaos

Want to join in with the rest of the Hate Crew? Sign up today!

"I Worship Chaos" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Children Of Bodom' started by MattK, Jun 8, 2015.

1. ESA1996

ESA1996 Active Member

New vs Old Stratovarius? Does this sound familiar? :lol:

2. mocobhc

mocobhc Member

oh yes it does :rolleyes: you could substitute the band name, and the arguments would be exactly the same...

3. GuyOne

GuyOne Member

Strato's album isn't old. It came out like 2 months ago. Anything to be the band's newest album is considered new in my books :lol:

I love the album. It's on par with their last. Lost Saga is awesome. The keyboards are so good. Yeah it's different than old Strato but who cares. It's leaps and bounds better than new CoB!

4. mocobhc

mocobhc Member

Totally agree! With each new album, they manage to sound totally fresh and innovative, while still sticking to their power metal roots. Each of their four latest albums had a unique feeling, sound and direction, but also had everything that "makes" them - and makes them one of the best power metal bands.
    New COB sounded... well, maybe uninspired to me? Not as bad as many around here judge it, but not much better either.

5. NewHewkas

NewHewkas Scheiße Gitarre Spieler

6. ESA1996

ESA1996 Active Member

7. NewHewkas

NewHewkas Scheiße Gitarre Spieler

I love how the Finnish ball's smiling cute (^^) and loves to hear, the conjugations :heh:

8. (__Joonas__)

(__Joonas__) † Followed the Reaper †

It sounds slowed down and like one or two instruments wouldn't work.

#2368 (__Joonas__), Nov 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  9. dthmtl3

dthmtl3 Member

Quite an animated crowd for Europeans.

They still haven't gotten some cool yellow bass drum heads?

I Worship Chaos from the same concert they payed faster though. Weird that they would play both I Hurt and IWC in the same concert. Both are good live songs. But from the crowd reaction it seems they like IWC better.

10. (__Joonas__)

They should be playing Horns and Prayer, why are they not doing that...? Well, not sure if any of the songs on this album will last on their set.

11. (__Joonas__)

I have to compare the change of sound to motor sport.

F1 changed from V10 to V8, that was like Bodom evolving from FTR to Blooddrunk.

But with I Worship Chaos it's like how F1 changed to V6. It sounds lower tone, but it's slower and weaker and less exciting. In the music volume is the same but in a way it's like being more quiet as the music draws less attention now, in my opinion.

I'm sorry but I have to make that comparison, I'm sure Janne and Alexi will understand. I wish the thrill came back, just like the thrill of V10 engines with the intergalactic metro blasting across the tarmac like a missile. Just go back to D and drop C tuning and create the heaviness with the music instead of pitch. I think it has become too much about Alexi's guitar, while the rest of the instruments could be used more in the creation of an interesting song. Especially drums, but never forgetting what can be done with the keyboards.

12. ESA1996

ESA1996 Active Member

You've been talking about this a lot lately and it's a legit point. Back in the early days (Thinking of FTR mostly atm) there were lots of songs where there were parts with nothing but keyboards in them (ETID before the first verse, Mask of Sanity interlude etc). I don't think there are any like it except for PFA intro and AFN verses on the new album that resemble those parts.

13. Hatebreeder01

Hatebreeder01 Member

I know exactly what you're talking about since I'm into F1 myself. However it might be a bad comparison for a non F1-nerd.

14. ESA1996

ESA1996 Active Member

Or someone who hasn't been watching it actively for a long time. My dad has always watched it, and I've occasionally watched races with him, but I haven't really been actively watching them until Kimi came back in 2012.

15. (__Joonas__)

Man when you watch vids of the old days with the V10, it was crazy... I've been driving the playstation F1 simulators since 2000 and I know with my virtual skills and fitness I could jump into today's F1 car and do laps only 12-15 seconds off the pace, but go back to 2005 cars and the powers are fucking scary I would have to break so early... Like with F1 as with COB every fan knows what should be different, it's come down to a mortal level, and not living up to what it could be. Another interesting metaphora: F1 is ruined also by terrible new tracks... but with Bodom it's not just about sound - you can make a perfect song for every soundworld they've created, but it's more about, well, making an 'epic track'... Epicness or atmosphere in songs are of course not something you can lay a mathematical formula for, it really comes down to spirituality, not just capitalizing on all instruments... but there really is more power in COB, they just need to look at all their most epic moments in the music and think what are they doing there. It should be like sex between Satan and a futuristic robot.

16. Norbix

Norbix Member

Well the dust has definitely settled at this point and sadly I don't listen to this album at all anymore. Really the only good song is song is suicide bomber. This is the first time I'm actually dissapointed by a COB album, because I still listen to the rest of them on occasion. Shame.. oh well, better luck next time.

17. (__Joonas__)

I agree Suicide Bomber holds the feeling together the best, that's why it feels classic especially when the slow beautiful section starts. There's a great idea in almost every song, but the songs are too stretched, which takes away intensity for someone used to listen to older Bodom. Something a notch too superficial about the whole spirit. It's like Alexi would actually want to do rock music but it has to be COB'ish and the blend is weird. My idea was they'd do 8 songs with 3:00 minutes duration, to make everything compact and intense, and build tension with atmospheric horror passages between every song. That would be radical and really cool. It's the occasional epic moments that draw us into this music, and to me short songs like SNBN and HOB actually feel longer than IWC songs which are much longer. Well I guess then I would complain the songs are too short, but that would still be hellovalot cooler.

18. dthmtl3

dthmtl3 Member

It's a tough one to pick songs for concerts. Morrigan most likely will be the only one to make future setlists. IWC and I Hurt are good songs to get the moshpit going, but both have that function and are rather similar in structure. If it were up to me, I'd have them play Widdershins, Horns, and Morrigan and would probably add Widdershing to future setlists.

19. FearTheReaper

FearTheReaper Member

Welp. I haven't listened to IWC in a month simply because it is so disappointing and I have dozens of better things to listen to. That being said, has anyone heard any news about a US tour? So I can start contemplating if I want to go and see classics replaced with mediocre new songs or not.

20. Hatebreeder01

Hatebreeder01 Member

Same, I gave it 3-4 whole listens but always felt it wouldn't grow on me. It has a few cool ideas but sadly it's got more disappointing moments. As someone said earlier, better luck next time.

I've been a fan of CoB since 2006-2007 but haven't been able to see them live yet. This year in December will be the first time when they come to Sweden. So I'm really excited about that even if the setlist might be a letdown.